Spare wheel carrier

symsue

Spare wheel carrier  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can anyone advise where we might get a spare wheel carrier for our Dethleffs Esprit RT7014 motorhome? We have contacted Alko as the chassis is one of theirs, but they say they only supply carriers for Fiat!! Our dealer is still getting back to us (3 mths later!!) and even our reliable local Renault dealer has hit a brick wall!! Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Just a thought..

When I towed a caravan I purchased a spare wheel carrier where the wheel was held on a pull-out "stretcher" between the 2 chassis members (Alko). Other similar devices are available from other manufacturers.

It would require an unobstructed path betwen the two sides of the chassis, so may be a non-starter. Here's a link to a supplier http://www.busyoutdoors.com/shop/towing/al-ko-spare-wheel-carrier/prod_28.html

Clive

Guest peter
Try getting a local fabrication company to make you one up. Will probably work out cheaper and you can specify how you wnt it to work. I'm going to weld up my own as I don't have a spare, only the stupid sealant rubish and a compressor. >:-)

symsue - 2009-04-23 7:30 PM

Can anyone advise where we might get a spare wheel carrier for our Dethleffs Esprit RT7014 motorhome? We have contacted Alko as the chassis is one of theirs, but they say they only supply carriers for Fiat!! .

Hi Sue

ALKO must be Going LOCO.

An ALKO spare wheel carrier for THEIR chassis will be the same irrespective of what base vehicle manufacture.

The only thing to check is that the wheel diameter & width on your Dethleffs is the same as any Fiat based M/H of the same year.

Even if these dimensions differ there is still a strong probability that your spare will fit.

Well I contacted AL-KO today and no joy. Apparently the chassis they manufacture is different for each base vehicle type. They still maintain that it is easy to get a Renault spare wheel carrier, but our local Renault dealer would definitely disagree. We've now extended the search for a suitable carrier to Dethleffs dealers at the other end of the country, so fingers crossed!! :-S

This spare wheel situation needs addressing in a more forceful manner, the compressor and sealant is a joke. What can you do if the tyre has come off the rim and you are in the middle of nowhere? I spoke to Auto-trail because some of the models they make don't have a spare wheel and I was told that it is to save weight. When I expressed my concern his flippant reply was BMW dont use them any more. Even if a breakdown truck comes out to you and takes your punctured wheel and tyre away it's odds on that a new tyre wont be in stock or even match the others that you have fitted. Just hope it doesn't happen in Morroco. There is probably a fabricator out there who can make custom spare wheel carriers for us so if any one can recommend one let it be known.

I've found this carrier on a French website and will have a look at it when in France later in year. At 31 euros looks like a good price.

http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/boutique/product_info.php?products_id=3217

An alternative would be to just carry a tyre. It saves on weight, may be easier to attach to chassis and would allow a tyre company to exchange at roadside for the correct type of tyre.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

We are in exactly the same situation as yourselves, having purchased our Esprit RT 7014 last November 8th!! Today I posted a letter to the dealer stating that legal action will start shortly if the situation is not resolved. I contacted Al-Ko in Southam and they said I required a Spare Wheel Carrier Model 614272 for a 16" wheel but said they only sell to main dealers. So far my "Main Dealer" has not, as far as I know, placed an order for the carrier.

Incidentlly, check your seat securing bolts. One of mine was found to have stripped threads. The dealer said he had fixed it but it is loose again and once again I await their call to have it sorted once again!!

By the way I have an English translation of the Control Panel and also handbook for the water pump (Which also makes a thumping noise when operated. Please contact me if you require copies.

Archived