Equipping a new camper

Colin9591

Hi Folks,

We're just collating all the new or different bits that we may need for the new van and are looking for some advice.

1. How long is the average water hose? I've searched the forum and found reference to hoses as long as 15m to 30m. In the past I've only needed a 1m hose to fill an aquaroll. What's the minimum hose length that one should consider satisfactory?

2. Smoke alarms - experience of these in confined spaces when cooking has lead to discus style ejection of the device from the van. Are there any that can be turned off temporarily whilst cooking?

3. Flammable gas alarms - could be useful to know about a leak before you light up the hob, just to avoid the KABOOM!! Are these generally available?

4. Levelling ramps - in a prior tugging life I used to carry a few thick planks to help level the van but now with (potentially) two wheels to level and less storage space, what's the best solution? Any recommendations on types/makes of levelling devices would be gratefully received?

5. Cab Screens - I understand that external screens perform best for condensation avoidance and have read the recent thread on these but I'm curious about others experience with these items. The Silver Screens version seems to fold up into a very compact package but are a bit dearer than others. We received internal screens with the new van and I'm not convinced that internal blinds will prevent condensation. Any comments on the pros/cons and suitability of the external fold-down type over the external one-piece type please?

Jane & I will be heading out on our first trip on 9th. May, doing the annual pilgrimage down south to repair her mother's broomstick, then stopping at the Newbury Show from Saturday afternoon to Monday and wending our way back over the following 3-4 days.

Thanks & Regards

Hi,

We have found hoses come around 25mtre so we cut it into a 20 and a 5 with hozlock join should we ever meet it. You will also need a good selection of connections for the various taps you will come across.

Smoke alarms are a matter of choice, we don't as I have had a static van and it was bad enough in one of those and a slice of toast, we where on a rally last week and someone had one that made more noise than their dog and that was saying something.

We do have a gas alarm because some one told us it would be useful should the need ever arise , we keep it on a shelf above my head , not sure thats a good sign as Andy put it there and gas probably sinks doesn't it?? :-D

We use Fiamma leveling ramps which I think you will find are the more popular option, we have a twin wheel 7 mtre van and they work fine, you can get bags to store them together that we find work welll and keep things clean around it, they will not.

Cab screens we use Taylor Made but if you want to start a fight on a Forum just ask which people prefer, its always a good one to get people going , don't know why but customers of Taylor made are very loyal to them they are a couple who make them up in Pennines and go to alot of shows, Silver screen on the other hand make great screens but spend most of their sales pitch having a go at the opposition . Ours is the long version that covers the vent at the front and will fold down to let light in during the day if you want to leave them on. They do the job excellently.

Hope something here helps,

Mandy

Hi Colin- I agree that the screen covers and ramps are very useful, but a lot depends on what you need would be the type of motorhoming you prefere to do. If you do not intend to stay put more than a couple of days in one spot, then not too much is needed, however if you frequently like to stay for 4-7 days extra things may become handy. If you are set up and dont wish to move, then a fold up trolly is handy for the toilet cassette and also for carrying a 5gallon water container if your hose will not reach the water tap ( they never do) complete with submersible pump.

Stowage under the van to carry an empty 5 gallon plastic jerrycan can also be useful for filling with the waste water on the trolly again to an emptying point. If not on EHU or you prefere quiet CLs then you may have to think of the maintainence of the leisure battery/s with either solar energy or larger capacity ones. If your payload will allow you to add all these things must also be considered. Good luck chas

Colin

1. I've never found a need for a hose longer than 10m and the one I use is a 'flat' type made by Black & Decker. It winds into a small plastic cassette making storage very easy. Unfortunately it don't think it is still marketed.

2. Yes, there are smoke alarms with a 'mute' button that are intended for use near household kitchens. As far as I'm aware they are readily available. For an example, see

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-68744-Kidde-Premium-Smoke-and-Fire-Alarm-For-Living-Areas-and-Kitchen.html

3. Plenty of gas alarms on the market - see page 317 of May 2009 MMM for one example. GOOGLE-ing on "gas alarm" will retrieve alternative products.

4. Fiamma is probably the main manufacturer of levelling 'ramps'. Logically, you should choose the biggest and strongest ramps that you can comfortably store in your motorhome.

5. Can't comment on this as I use interior insulating screens.

Mandy&Andy - 2009-04-24 6:31 AM

Smoke alarms are a matter of choice, we don't as I have had a static van and it was bad enough in one of those and a slice of toast, we where on a rally last week and someone had one that made more noise than their dog and that was saying something.

Local FB are handing out smoke alarms that are suposidly toast proof, some years back a nabour had smoke alarm in his kitchin, every time he cooked it would go off.

I beleive you can still get the flat hoses which are usefiul - always have two as well, one waste, one frsh as you always find places where you cant quite get to the grey water drain point!

Another tip - buy a good bottle jack - motorhomes always come with the standard commercial jack which is useless and cannot take the weight. Saves waiting for recovery! Grab a few hi viz tabbards for the family in case of breakdown too, and a sheet of plastic in case you are stuck outside waiting in the rain.

I bought 4 meters of food grade pipe from a caravan shop, and an off cut about the size of an aqua roll pipe, also if the need arises a joining piece (not hoselock) just a ribbed piece of plastic so the two can be pushed together.

Ramps, never use them, not many sites slope to much, plenty of tap couplings though, also a replacement for the filler cap, which holds the hose in the side of the van so i can fill hands free.

Pete

If moving the van to a water tap then 5m is more than adequate but on many CC sites it is possible to run your hose to a tap saves moving the van I have a 20m cassette hose and about 5m of hose used for filling direct to a tap.

Level ramps can be usefull when your in one spot for sometime its then you want it about right.

Waste can always be taken away by bucket

see Mandy&Andy's reply, Propane and Butane both sink, a flammable gas alarm at high level will never work. You can smell both of these gases long before they can be ignited.

Cab screens get both sets, if you're parked up a long time fit the externals, if for a short time or if it's raining hard or if it's red hot use the internals. (hopefully this summer will be the one)

The water pipe issue surely depends on whether you're going to use your facilities and by what degree. As we use all our own facilities all the time we find that it pays to have 2 x 15m pipes on reels plus another odd length of about 3 or 4 m. It's rare that we've been "beaten" by the tap!

Even when we camp on full facility sites we don't use the camp loos or showers. No questions or rants please as to why, this is purely personal choice.

As for levelling ramps, well this weekend we went to a lovely CL for the 1st time and on arrival I thought, great, flat as a pancake, no ramps. How wrong was I when out came the spirit level? Yes we did need the ramps, not to a great degree admittedly but enough to save us having bad backs in the morning.

Never used cab screens, just a moderate amount of sensible ventilation, although it does become an issue in the colder months with increased condensation.

Martyn

Get your bits a Newbury.

By then you will have a better idea of what you need.

If needs are self evident beforehand then get those things first but for example front screens are not on everyones need list.

Enjoy the experience of making your tardis "personal".

C.

Archived