Turning your Laptop/PC into Digital TV.

gordonaldson

7dayshop.com have a nifty USB 2.0 Mini Digital TV Receiver with quite a few features and is worth checking out for £18.99.

While on Thursday 30th April, ALDI has a Mini USB DUB-T Tuner where you can watch,schedule & record Digital TV on your PC/Notebook for £19.99.

Mmmm, they both feature what looks like USB Dongles that plug into your Laptop. Tuners aint half getting smaller.

Gordon...

Gordon

I bought one earlier from Aldi and the tuner itself is brilliant but as stated the aerial that is supplied was absolute rubbish, at least in the areas that I have tried it. It doesn't work off the "flying saucer" on the roof either but I may been trying in a particularly bad reception area.

When I plugged into a camp site aerial system a few days ago I had 63 stations tuned in - altho' about 50% were radio.

Next I am going to try connecting to a satellite dish and see what happens......just maybe get all the free satellite channels too.

Sandy

Gordon,

I bought one from Aldi about 2 years ago and found it very good. The supplied Antenna is ok if you are in a good reception area.

I tried the dongle on our old house antenna and picked up 66 Freeview channels, this is in a very bad reception area for Freeview.

David

There is a software called Zattoo with free down load will give you a good selection of channels on your lap top or PC works a treat on mine. I have not tried it in my camper yet but it works well at home with out an antena

even gives me HD channels fine. all at no cost at all.

4petedaniel - 2009-04-26 11:15 AM

There is a software called Zattoo with free down load will give you a good selection of channels on your lap top or PC works a treat on mine. I have not tried it in my camper yet but it works well at home with out an antena

even gives me HD channels fine. all at no cost at all.

Surely Zattoo is just a system that allows you to watch TV over the internet, normally an expensive option if you are away from home and using wifi or a dongle.

Hi Gordon

we don't use the supplied ariel.

Simply connect the M/H ariel directly to the USB, works OK and when we compared with the TV we can still get the same channels.

No. of channels depends on location.

Guest peter
Because the viewing angle on a Laptop is worse than useles compared to a pucka T/V and you still have to mess about with using a propper ariel. *-)

peter - 2009-05-07 10:57 PM

Because the viewing angle on a Laptop is worse than useles compared to a pucka T/V and you still have to mess about with using a propper ariel. *-)

You need a better laptop! (lol)

sandyketton2 - 2009-04-25 12:03 AM

Gordon

I bought one earlier from Aldi and the tuner itself is brilliant but as stated the aerial that is supplied was absolute rubbish, at least in the areas that I have tried it. It doesn't work off the "flying saucer" on the roof either but I may been trying in a particularly bad reception area.

When I plugged into a camp site aerial system a few days ago I had 63 stations tuned in - altho' about 50% were radio.

Next I am going to try connecting to a satellite dish and see what happens......just maybe get all the free satellite channels too.

Sandy

Are you proposing to connect a satellite dish to your notebook PC? B-)

peter - 2009-05-06 11:31 PM

Good idea, but why bother when LCD Tele's are dirt cheap?.

because we rarely watch tele while away. i spent £18 so i wouldn't miss anything unmissable and have to wait for V+ when i get home. *-)

Guest peter
yrocker - 2009-05-08 10:39 AM

peter - 2009-05-07 10:57 PM

You need a better laptop! (lol)

Why?. I've got a 15" LCD Television rigged up for Satellite - Freeview and Dvd. Try that with a laptop and end up with a neat installation.

. I've got a 15" LCD Television rigged up for Satellite - Freeview and Dvd. Try that with a laptop and end up with a neat installation.

=========================================

I'm sat in Wetherspoons with a pint and free broadband, checking out Google maps, Autoroute, and BBC Iplayer (missed Question Time) + downloaded my E/mails, neat or what? try that with a TV.

Regards PKC.

Archived