Bulb set

Jasper

Can anyone tell me what spare bulbs I need for a 2007 Transit (Hymer van) - probably won't attempt to fit them but am travelling to France. Unfortunately neither Halfords or my local Ford garage were able to help!

Thanks

There's no excuse for a Ford garage but Halfords well? I was in Halfords for a sidelight bulb for my older Transit, I checked their stock listings, the Ford Transit isn't listed at all. Indeed no commercial vehicles are in, considering how many there are on the road, you'd think the catalogue would show them. They have the bulbs, they're just not listed. Try a local motor accessory shop, they generally care about repeat business.

By the way, the Bosch version of my sidelight bulb was cheaper than the Halfords version, seperated on the displays by about 1mt or 3'3" in old money.

Jasper - 2009-04-27 1:07 PM

Can anyone tell me what spare bulbs I need for a 2007 Transit (Hymer van) - probably won't attempt to fit them but am travelling to France. Unfortunately neither Halfords or my local Ford garage were able to help!

Thanks

Jasper the only way to be certain is to take the existing bulbs out ( without touching the glass of the bulb) and check whats stamped on the bottom of the bulb, the owners manual for my Motorhome quoted two different bulbs one type for dip and one type for Main beam ,I bought the said bulb only to fine they were the same bulbs for dip and Main beam, another vistit to Halfords was called for,

Jasper

The bulbs appropriate for the Transit Mk 7 on which your Hymer is based should be detailed in the "BULB REPLACEMENT" section of your Ford Transit Owner's Guide. This is just the starting-point however, as motorhome converters almost invariably choose to add extra lights to coachbuilt motorcaravans, or to use different lights to those specified in the Ford documentation.

If you wanted to carry a set of bulbs that would allow you to replace any failed bulb, then you'd have to check which of your motorhome's lights are 'Ford', which are 'Hymer' and how much 'overlap' there is in terms of bulbs.

For example, my Mk 6 Ford Transit-based Hobby has 10 main rear lights, none of which are 'Ford'. Of those 10 lights, 6 use one type of bulb, 2 use another and the remaining 2 use a 3rd type. So, if I wanted to be able to replace any one of the 10 bulbs, I'd need to carry 3 different replacements. That's why, with a motorhome, it's generally far better to make up your own spare-bulb pack that you know will be suitable for your vehicle's lights rather than buy a generic pack. Even if you did manage to obtain a Transit Mk 7 pack from somewhere, there's every possibility that some of the bulbs will be redundant and that you'd need to purchase extra bulbs for the 'Hymer' light-units.

Incidentally, there is no legal requirement to carry a set of spare bulbs while driving in France, though it is highly recommended that you do. Should you be stopped by the French police for a lighting infringement involving a failed bulb, having a suitable replacement bulb, and being able to fit it there and then, should allow you to continue with your journey (though it won't necessarily stop you being fined!) Otherwise the French police will insist that you stay put until the failed bulb has been replaced.

Frankly, if your Transit Mk 7's headlamps are anything like those of my Mk 6 as far as bulb-replacement difficulty is concerned, then you would be in for a whole load of fun if a headlight bulb failed.

Hi,

I read somewhere recently, that in France, if you are driving a Renault, the police will car out a garage to fix your bulb .......... and the bill goes to Renault. But it doesn't apply to other makes.

So, if the worst happens, call out your rescue company.

Oh yes, I believe a trailer needs it own spare bulbs too.

Archived