Overnight at Portsmouth Ferry Port

Mike88

Is it possible to stay overnight at the ferry port (Brittany Ferries)? I am catching a ferry in mid May. I do not want a campsite just to sleep for the night so hopefully I can find somewhere free.

I have used the search facility but there is nothing since 2005 when Pand O operated and I presume overnighting arrangements have changed since then.

Many thanks.

Hi, Officially no for security reasons as it is adjacent to navy base.

Rookesbury park caravan club site at fareham is nearby

There are 4 cl's listed at hayling Island, 3 of them at £6 per night, and 2 cs's listed by CCC close to Portsmouth

If you really insist on "free", the Tesco/Sainsbury complex at junction 8 on M27 has multiple car parking areas, but are you willing to risk it.

tonyg3nwl

Mike88

There is still some limited parking capability on the edges of the Portsmouth ferry-port waiting area and there will be certain embarkation 'lanes' that are regularly unused (eg. the P&O ones for the Bilbao route).

We haven't overnighted there for quite a while, but (if I remember correctly) when I last inquired about doing it I was told that, as long as my motorhome didn't cause an obstruction, and I had visited the reception area and told them where I was parked and gave them my vehicle's registration number, then it would be OK. Suggest you phone Brittany Ferries and check whether there is any official objection to doing this nowadays.

We've stayed at the Port a couple of times with no problem other than the b****y noise. There is also water available outside of the toilets you see on the right as you enter the Port.

I must admit to not knowing that "officially" it's not allowed though. That said, rightly or wrongly, there are usually a dozen or so staying overnight, both motorhomers and caravanners.

Martyn

I have been driving for almost 50 years and motorhoming for about 20 of those years. I have had a car broken into about 20 years ago but the only trouble I have have when motorhoming, either in the UK or on the continent of Europe occurred at Portsmouth Ferry Terminal about 5 years ago. We parked up awaiting for the night ferry and decided to walk into Portsmouth city centre for an evening meal. On our return our Talisman had been broken into and a rather expensive camera was stolen. Luckily, our cash, cards and passports we had on our persons. The Port security staff told us at the time that this was an ever increasing problem at Portsmouth ( what the police thought we never found out as, apparently, the Hampshire Constabulary don't bother to attend these incidents as they are rather busy selling their car chase videos to satellite television companies). My advice would be to avoid arriving at this terminal until close to sailing time, if you must use it at all.

Mel B - 2009-04-28 6:16 PM

Mike

Why not find somewhere about 30 minutes drive away instead? You can then get a better night's kip and get up a bit earlier to get the ferry, this is what I'd do.

Good idea but where? I don't know the area. I always go from Dover and usually overnight at Marine Parade but I haven't used Portsmouth since about 1982 so its a mystery for me. Perhaps that supermarket complex suggested above is where I shall go. Its amazing! If in France I wouldn't be remotely bothered. I'd just find somewhere and stop. But here is totally different I'm afraid.

You could always try Southsea caravan park at the other end of the prom. they stay open late or you could sneak in further down the road past the caravan site and park up near the old fort for a few hours Just a suggestion

You could try parking on Portsdown Hill ( the high ground to the North of Portsmouth, visible from the ferry terminal) but am not too sure about the security up there. From the M27 take the A3 toward London and then the signposts for Southwick. There are 3 or 4 large car parks along Portsdown Hill road.

Guest Tracker

We tend to time our journey to arrive at Portsmouth at the appointed booking in time and then kip on the ferry - either expensive cabin or free recliner chair - not perfect I know but it seems to give us enough kip to be well able to carry on the next day.

When ferrying from Dover we sleep on the French side because it is easier to find somewhere quiet - and we get fresh bread etc in the morning.

Sometimes we don't sleep at all for the one day and one night from home to France and then we find somewhere pleasant en route and stop early to unwind and catch up on kip.

Any excuse not to stop in the troubled UK suits us!

Hi Mike88

I would not advise parking on Portsdown hill, I Live there, You could park in he 24 hrs Tesco on the A27 (J12 M27) You can see it from the motor way. Lots of spaces around there as well. I believe Tesco won'tso I know. mind just check with them. I have heard of People who have done so. Lots of spare ground around near to tesco. You could also try the Marina area of Port Solent, just west of the Tesco's Lots of parking and all free. These places are about 10mins from the ferry terminal. We will also be going from Portsmouth to Cherbourg crossing , next week for us.

PJay

Thank you all for your suggestions. In the end I have booked a cabin on the ferry enabling me to set off for Portsmouth in the early hours of the morning and get some sleep on the boat. To my amazement it only cost £11.

Mike88 - 2009-04-28 5:04 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. My problem is that I shall not be in Portsmouth until about 10pm and thought that was rather late to be turning up at a campsite or CL.

I such circumstances we use motorway services or truck stops, usualy timing to get there just in time to crashout (you wouldn't want to stay at most for to long!), last time we where in that area we stopped at Rownhams on M27.

Look at the Caravan Club & Camping & Caravanning Club websites, there are at least 3 sites that are very close to Portsmouth. I know you wanted "Free" but sometimes it is worth paying for the security. At least you would get a good nights sleep and have clean facilities and hot showers to use prior to your trip. If you arrive late there are usually overnight parking facilities available with hook up points.

We are also catching the Brittany Ferry on a Wednesday so have booked into a CS site between chichester and Pmouth - there are plenty to choose from and cost is not huge. It is then only a shortish drive to the ferry terminal in the morning.

Archived