Bulb Fields In The Netherlands

catinou

Is anybody going to the bulb fields in the Netherlands this weekend? We have managed to get a late booking on Eurotunnel on Friday night and wonder if anybody else is going, or if you have been, any advice on sites to stay within fairly easy cycling distance please?

I have always wanted to go and we thought we would grab the chance but have not looked where to stay. I knew it was "dangerous" going to LeTouquet last weekend, we have the bug again (after a 5 month gap of using our pride and joy!) B-)

Have just returned from Netherlands. I would like to advise you that this week and next is peak season on campsites, as we found to our surprise. The children are on holiday for two weeks.

In the ASCI camping card book some sites have different dates for the high season so that if you have one, check dates for discounted camping carefully.

We enjoyed the Floral Parade last Saturday but gave the Gardens a miss as I have to reserve my strength. It was such a successful trip that we will probably go next year and be amazed at the efforts made for the parade and allow much more time so that we can see the Gardens.

The theme this year is America - I envy you.

Joyce

dragonflyer - 2009-04-30 4:59 PM

Have just returned from Netherlands. I would like to advise you that this week and next is peak season on campsites, as we found to our surprise. The children are on holiday for two weeks.

In the ASCI camping card book some sites have different dates for the high season so that if you have one, check dates for discounted camping carefully.

Joyce

The reason for the holidays this week and next is that today is the Queen's birthday and a bank holiday (sadly today of course a car crashed into the crowds, killing 4 people) and next week Tuesday 5 May is Liberation Day, also a bank holiday.

As for the ACSI book with different dates for high season, in Holland Ascension Day and Whitsun are also bank holidays. Unlike May bank holidays over here, Ascension Day and Whitsun never fall on the same days each year, as the date depends on when Easter falls.

This year Ascension Day is on Thursday 21 May, and Whitsun Monday is on 1 June. The majority of sites which accept the ACSI card do not accept it around these dates, some don't accept it for the full fortnight.

Ina.

Hi

Returned yesterday from Noordwijk after a week visit to see the weekend parade and gardens. With reference to sites, found most appeared full for last weekend. The first one we tried, Camping de Carlton, had an overflow field without electric, but use of facilities on main site for 19 euros per night. There are many sites along the coast at this point and may well have found one with a pitch with full facilities but we are quite happy to do without mains electricity.

Visited the gardens at keukenhof on monday, superb displays.

Thanks for the replies and Mel, I'm impressed! Spalding obviously had more tulips in flower than the fields we saw - we missed the best display by 1 week apparently!! As well as the flower parade.

Not ones to be beaten, we were informed at the site we found - Camping op hoop van zegen - don't you just love that name?:-)

http://www.campingophoopvanzegen.nl

that the flower parade next year is 23rd & 24th April 2010 and that booking at least 3 months in advance is advisable, so we booked there and then - site with electric, using ASCI card, was 13 euros per night. We used our own hot water and shower so saved on the key charge.

The site is next to lots of bulb fields (a few of which had the remnants still fading :-S ) and within easy cycling distance from the start and finish of the parade.; about 8 kms from the gardens. B-)

catinou - 2009-05-06 10:30 AM

using ASCI card, was 13 euros per night. We used our own hot water and shower so saved on the key charge.

I was under the impression that with ACSI, you are entitled to 1 shower per day per person. We have stayed at Klein Strand in Belgium, which accepts ACSI, they use a so-called "Sep Key" for the showers and it also opens the barriers. The Sep Key is pre-loaded with so much credit (which you pay for in advance) and when you have a shower it "debits" 21 cents per minute (from memory I think that was the charge last year, it was in the low 20's anyway). When we got the Sep Key on checking in (we were only there overnight), they pre-loaded it for us with 5 Euros. We didn't have to pay for that, it was included in the ACSI price of 14 Euros per night.

We did have to pay a 30 Euro deposit for the key itself, but that is refunded in full on departure when you hand it back in.

Ina.

Thank you Ina - we will certainly check that out for next time - come to think of it, we had the same arrangement near Pisa last year on an ACSI site. In the end we only stayed one night as the weather turned so we went to our favourite aire in Le Touquet for the next night. B-)

Archived