Fridge switch

yeti

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

My 1992 Hymer B544 needs a replacement switch fo the fridge.

It is a 12v illuminated push fit rocker switch rated at 12v 10A.

The light is rated at 30mA,there is also a number,1830,this may be a part number. I've looked at Maplins,CPC and asked at local caravan servicing depot.

Any more ideas

Have you tried Ebay? Its always worth a look.

These must still be available because a we had a caravan repair man out to our fridge, we thought it wasn't working on the mains anymore. Turned out it was just that the switch had stopped lighting up. He charged us £10 for a new switch and a rather whopping £30 for fitting it. :-(

yeti - 2009-04-29 2:59 PM

yeti why are you asking for a part for a 1992 van when you own a x250 that burnt it,s clutch out after 200 miles, or do you have a m/home fleet

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

My 1992 Hymer B544 needs a replacement switch fo the fridge.

It is a 12v illuminated push fit rocker switch rated at 12v 10A.

The light is rated at 30mA,there is also a number,1830,this may be a part number. I've looked at Maplins,CPC and asked at local caravan servicing depot.

Any more ideas

(?)

alf - 2009-04-29 4:37 PM

Yeti,

Is this the double width 240v mains switch or the thiner !2v one or the Igniter switch. Also what colour is it.

Regards Alf

Hi Alf,

It's the thinner one for 12v.

big al 55

I do have an X250 as you have observed,but also the Hymer,bit like 2 Jags Prescot and almost as expensive.

I am fettling the Hymer prior to putting up for sale. Although if the Fiat fiasco continues I may keep the Hymer and sell the X250!!!

josie gibblebucket - 2009-04-29 3:22 PM

Have you tried Ebay? Its always worth a look.

These must still be available because a we had a caravan repair man out to our fridge, we thought it wasn't working on the mains anymore. Turned out it was just that the switch had stopped lighting up. He charged us £10 for a new switch and a rather whopping £30 for fitting it. :-(

He came out to you but you complain about paying an hour's labour? I have a minimum charge of one hour simply because it is not worth my while breaking a job down to less than that. He is in business to earn a living after all. Plus he had to diagnose the fault and how far did he have to travel to you?

D.

Will,

Maplins do a double pole single throw switch GU53 this is none illuminated but you could fit a 12v neon or led for indicating the on position.

I have some single width illuminated switches but no double width, if you wish I can post you red 12v led or red or green 12v neon indicators

You will find 12v switches in a good car parts shop.

Regards Alf

davenewell@home - 2009-04-30 6:54 AM

He came out to you but you complain about paying an hour's labour? I have a minimum charge of one hour simply because it is not worth my while breaking a job down to less than that. He is in business to earn a living after all. Plus he had to diagnose the fault and how far did he have to travel to you?

D.

He didn't make a special trip actually, I told him that it wasn't urgent so he said he would come next time he was out that way. The day he came he was en route from one job to the next.

josie gibblebucket - 2009-04-30 12:01 PM

davenewell@home - 2009-04-30 6:54 AM

D.

He didn't make a special trip actually, I told him that it wasn't urgent so he said he would come next time he was out that way. The day he came he was en route from one job to the next.

So what are you saying? You don't think he's entitled to make a living? Or because he was en route to (or from) another job he shouldn't charge you an hours labour to sort out your fridge?

If you'd had to take the motorhome to a service agent/centre how much would it have cost you? Time to take the motorhome to them, then more time while you wait for someone to look at your 'van, then the cost of the switch and then your time to go back home. That could easily add up to a day. Do you really think £40 was so extortionate for him to come to you?

D.

Anyone good enough to visit you and fix the fault does indeed deserve a good living wage for his/her trouble. £30 sounds a high hourly rate but take out all the overheads and it's a pittance.

Try adding up the cost of tools, training, vehicle, office time, premises, telephone, insurance and many more items and see what is left out of £30!

I simply stated the facts. I did not use the word extortionate, neither did I complain to the man, I just paid him. I did not say that I didn't think he had the right to make a living, or that he had no overheads. I was merely saying "ouch" that turned out to be an expensive switch.

I don't know why you have felt the need to beat me up over what was a a fairly innocuous remark.

As someone who has just lost her business because everyone wants something for nothing, I certainly don't need a lecture from anyone about the costs involved when you are self employed.

Go and bully someone else.

josie gibblebucket - 2009-04-30 9:19 PM

I simply stated the facts. I did not use the word extortionate, neither did I complain to the man, I just paid him. I did not say that I didn't think he had the right to make a living, or that he had no overheads. I was merely saying "ouch" that turned out to be an expensive switch.

I don't know why you have felt the need to beat me up over what was a a fairly innocuous remark.

As someone who has just lost her business because everyone wants something for nothing, I certainly don't need a lecture from anyone about the costs involved when you are self employed.

Go and bully someone else.

No lecture intended and certainly no "beating up" intended Josie but you did say:

"..........new switch and a rather whopping £30 for fitting it. "

Which would seem to me to indicate that you felt you'd been overcharged.

My apologies if you felt we were being unfair to you but I felt you were being unfair to your caravan engineer.

Simple as that really!

D.

Is this the one you are after?

See

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/electrolux-dometic-caravan-fridge-igniter-switch_W0QQitemZ290295206540QQihZ019QQcategoryZ108845QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

If not he has three others listed and has further Electrolux/ Dometic spares available just call his number and he will help,

I can recommend this seller as he has just sent me a new 240volt fridge element (at half the cost of the next cheapest pp taken into account) ordered yesterday at 1100 recieved today first class post at 0900, cant say better than that.

Bas

Bas

Thanks for posting the link to Caravan Spares. My fridge is a 7000 series and the energy selector switch fell apart. I have managed to repair and did do a search for a replacement pcb but was unable to find. A new fridge is £600>£700 so a pcb at £115 would be worth it.

If it falls apart again I may try to replace with a switch piggy backed

Archived