Uncomfortable Nights Sleep

fud3

I have a Swift Suntor with a rear lounge, this converts to make up the bed. I am struggling to get a good nights sleep, I've tried the seat cushions in different ways, face up and face down. I have used a double sleeping back and throws to try and give some comfort, all to no avail.

I've considerd getting a matress topper, but this is another thing that needs storing (I'm told that the memory foam that is advertised in all good magazines causes sweating as the foam does not breath! and defeats the whole idea if you roll it up every night to store)

Any ideas

Apologies if you're an old hand at this game, but are you getting your van as level as possible?

I say this because our van only has to be a bit out of true so to speak and we both awake with sore backs.

This subject has been covered before although I can't remember the thread title, maybe someone out there can?

Martyn

We had a Bessacarr with rear lounge set up , I found the bed uncomfortable , couldn't, seem to get the cushions in the right place so as not to have the join of the cushion in my back , we bought a mattress topper from Argos it did the trick , now have it in our new motorhome , I never found it to cause and sweating or get damp ,it is a bit cold when you first get in bed though then it warms up ok,and Ive never heard of any foam not being able to breath so to speak. as far as storage goes we replace the extra duvet we slept on to give comfort with the mattress topper in the under seat locker, you need at least the three inch thick version of the Mattress topper for comfort ( I,m 15 stone), Aldi sometimes sell them as do Lidl .

How old is the van? rear lounge seating/ beds take a lot of weight and wear and could be coming to the end of their lifespan. If the van occupants have been/or are on the heavy side :$ it may be prudent to consider new reflex foam seating without any knee rolls added, not a cheap solution, but neither is memory foam. You just cant beat a good nights sleep, regardless of cost. Good luck.

Guest JudgeMental

Have never seen the point of these rear lounge vans, probably a hangover from UK caravan design......They are severely compromised for sleeping in, let alone the flapping around converting it morning and evening, God what a chore!

I would get a mattress topper and an expensive one at that, or change for a van with a comfortable bed.........These can still be used for lounging on

I have a swift 590rl "what a chore" making up the bed it takes all of 20 seconds at night and 20 seconds in the morning to put away!I think its great the best lay out you can get and have no problems sleeping its so comfortable

Paul

Jundgemental, I was not looking for your responce of whether I should have rear lounge or not!, I like the layout!

I did not want a fixed bed, yes it is a bit of a pain putting it away every morning and getting it out on a night but the layout works for me!

I would suggest that in future you should think before you respond.

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2009-04-30 4:38 PM

Have never seen the point of these rear lounge vans, probably a hangover from UK caravan design......They are severely compromised for sleeping in, let alone the flapping around converting it morning and evening, God what a chore!

I would get a mattress topper and an expensive one at that, or change for a van with a comfortable bed.........These can still be used for lounging on

What's the matter with you today Eddie????????????????????

There is nothing wrong with a rear lounge layout and indeed it is amongst the most popular of all layouts and your abrasive posting is not in the least helpful.

Get a grip man!

I posted about this problem a few months ago and people suggested a mattress topper. Instead of a manufactured one we just use a roll of 2" foam. It's stored under the seat. We used it for the first time on our Easter break to Wales for 10 days. Why oh why didn't we use one before, brilliant nights sleep would recommend it to anyone. The drawback it now takes an extra 10 seconds to put away in the morning. We now use a sheet underneath instead of the two duvets and we,ve had no problems with heat or breathability. Hope this helps

see them there page 23 in the april mmm magazine me ansums, if its good enough for them editer types, then tis good enough for fred an alice my luvvers. ordered ours at peterborough and is lookin forward to receiving it in time for the next trip. see e drectly.

follicallychallengredfred

I have a rear lounge (Autocruise Starspirit) and find it the best layout I have had in about 20 years motorhoming. However, I found it difficult to get comfortable at night. My solution was to purchase a self-inflating camping mat which 'ironed out' the ridges. It packs away into its own stuff sac which measures about 9" x 4" cylindrically. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find somewhere to store that.

Hi Fud3 and welcome to the mad house ... you've already 'met' some of the lunatics! :-D

Take no notice of the Judge ... his wig is probably in a twist! :D

We've got mattress toppers at home and in the 'van (fixed bed), they can be a little bit warmer than no topper at all but we haven't found that a problem and my husband does get hot during the night normally ... no not like that!!!! :$

We have 28mm and 40mm thick ones (from memory ... no pun intended), and both do the job well. It is down to the quality of the topper foam itself as to what thickness you need, have a good 'squish' of them to compare their density and see what you think. You can always roll it up and make it into a bolster during the day, rather than try to hide it away in a cupboard, we used to do this with sleeping bags many moons ago. We wouldn't be without our topper now, they make the beds much more comfortable.

fud3 - 2009-04-30 2:03 PM

I have a Swift Suntor with a rear lounge, this converts to make up the bed. I am struggling to get a good nights sleep, I've tried the seat cushions in different ways, face up and face down. I have used a double sleeping back and throws to try and give some comfort, all to no avail.

I've considerd getting a matress topper, but this is another thing that needs storing (I'm told that the memory foam that is advertised in all good magazines causes sweating as the foam does not breath! and defeats the whole idea if you roll it up every night to store)

Any ideas

I'm with you on this we like our rear lounge. If you don't fancy memory foam, the dreaded Ikea sell mattress toppers that are fabric covered and come in various thicknesses, we used to use one in our old van, and it rolled up quite small and was also light in weight. Mywife uses a memory foam pillow which weighs a ton! I would go for one of these in preference to expensive and heavy foam.

We use a topper and it works very well. Instead of a double we use two singles they work just as well but storage is simplified as they go side by side in the under bed locker each being slimer and shorter than a rolled double.

What ever you do don't store it in the loo or you will have a westling match with it at the most inconvienient of moments!!

John

Guest JudgeMental
Like someone else mentioned its important to get the van level.......I forgot to at the weekend and my back has been killing me since *-)

SAS - 2009-05-05 4:19 PM

Does anyone have any experience of the inflatable camping mattresses? Do they take long to blow up at night....and what about lettin` the air out again? 8-)

I have used inflatable matresses (the ones you 'pump' up) but not in the 'van. I think they would be a pain to have to pump up every night and will not store as well as my solution to the problem (See above).

The self inflating mattresses mentioned are probably 'Thermarests'. We bought some a few years ago. They are very light and very thin, and fold down small when deflated. When you open the valve, it takes about a minute to self-inflate half way - which is comfortable. If you want the bed to be harder, a couple of puffs on the valve does the trick. To deflate, undo the valve, fold the Thermarest over on itself, and sit on it! When most of the air has gone, fold it over on itself a couple more times and repeat. It takes a minute to do it.

We don't need it on our present van, (rear-bed Globecar Trendscout, which has excellent mattresses), but it was a life-saver on a previous van which had very hard beds.

Our local camping shop in Keswick had a special bed of rocks and pebbles set up. You could lie on them on a Thermarest, and marvel at the difference it makes.

We reckon they are worth every penny. We found the Raskelf comfortable, but too bulky and heavy to use in a small panel van, so gave it to a member of our family as an occasional bed for visitors.

Brom

Many thanks for all suggestions, we certainly made sure the van was level when we were out in it over the weekend, got a better nights sleep, still looking into the mattress topper as well.

I've tried the red wine (I snore whether I drink it or not, not keen on whiskey!!!!!!!!!!) along with white, beer etc. maybe I need more!!

Archived