Motorhome insurance

Ris

I know that this has been covered before but to save searching old threads would appreciate any information.

Am about to renew our insurance, currently Caravan Guard but have obtained a very good quote from Comfort. Does anyone have any comments on this organisation please, good or bad.

Thanks

We have Comfort for our house insurance, but are with CaravanGuard for the motorhome. Fortunately I can't comment on Comfort in relation to having to make a claim, other than that I have always found them ok.

They asked when our motorhome insurance was due and they would be pleased to give us a quote, but when we asked them for one last year, they couldn't compete with CaravanGuard.

Of course quotes depend on lots of different things, such as postcode, age/type of motorhome etc, but as our insurance is due in May, we'll try them again, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ina.

Ris - 2009-04-30 2:41 PM

I know that this has been covered before but to save searching old threads would appreciate any information.

Am about to renew our insurance, currently Caravan Guard but have obtained a very good quote from Comfort. Does anyone have any comments on this organisation please, good or bad.

Thanks

been with comfort 2 years good price dont know how they are with claims but they do win which award for motorhome insurance most years

We have been with Comfort for 12 years and have been happy with the price and cover but I am likely to change at this years renewal.

Why: Because it is a Norwich Union Insurance! - We had them for the car as well and had to make a claim for a damaged rear window - The claims desk is in India and the problems we had dealing with them can only be described as a farce! I am now actively changing all of our suppliers to ones who have a telephone support in the UK.

Thanks to all who replied, information most useful any more gratefully recieved. Thanks Frankkia that was my real concern, I feel very much like you do re UK call centres.

I changed my insurance from Comfort to MCIA last year on cost. Also tried Comfort for home insurance but went with Nationwide again on cost. Comfort appear to be not very competitive. This can sometimes just be a matter of the timing of any rate rises when compared to the competition.

hi i was insured with comfort for a few years & was quite happy until one day MH was broken into tried ti claim & found out that not very much of my contents were covered. have since changed to MCIA seems a lot better cover, hopefully i wont find out (lol)

Thanks to all who responded, but isn't it the NU advert with that geek with staring eyes who says 67000 are coming back to shake hands with Mr Happy ha ha ha ha !!!!!!.

Ris

Frankkia - 2009-05-01 12:44 AM

We have been with Comfort for 12 years and have been happy with the price and cover but I am likely to change at this years renewal.

Why: Because it is a Norwich Union Insurance! - We had them for the car as well and had to make a claim for a damaged rear window - The claims desk is in India and the problems we had dealing with them can only be described as a farce! I am now actively changing all of our suppliers to ones who have a telephone support in the UK.

Our son was with Norwich Union a couple of years ago and sustained a non-fault traffic collision in his car. The service from the call centre in India was absolutely dreadful - enough to stop me ever signing up with them.

Many years ago I did get a quote from Comfort though but they simply could not compete with our insurer then (Safeguard) who we have remained with ever since.

As someone else points out though the premium we all pay is based on many variables so it is best to just shop around for the price, cover and service that suits.

David

Has anyone any experience of Campton Insurance? We've had a very good quote of £207.36 from them which includes full UK breakdown cover. To add European breakdown (90 days per year cover) and Legal Protection its another £60 and £14 respectively, bringing the quote total to £281.36. This includes a club membership 10% discount and a 10% new quotes discount.

We're currently with Safeguard who are quoting £316.29 for the same thing but with a higher 'glass' excesss and a £250 per item content cover, compared to Campton's £500 per item cover but that's not a major issue as I doubt any one item of ours int he van is worth more than £200!

Just waiting for call backs from Caravan Guard and MTC. I also tried Lifesure Group (MCIA) whose cover wasn't very good and then the chap realised he coundn't get a quote at all with us being vandalised last year!

Following comments received I followed up the situation re NU and offshore call centres. It does appear that they have had second thoughts and their claim call centres are now based in the UK, which to my mind makes the quote far more acceptable.

I also spoke at length to a senior executive of Comfort, an intermediary, not an insurance company, who informs me that being a motorhomer himself Comfort designed the policy cover to cover what they felt he and we motorhomers required. I felt that this was a very positive approach to our needs, so feel inclined to accept their competitive quotation. Obviously the proof comes not only with what the policy covers but how are claims handled. Lets hope I do not have to call upon their claims dept but thats one of the reasons why we purchase insurance. As Comfort are an intermediary and get commision on each policy sold then one would expect assistance from them should the need arise.

Do hope this is of help to those needing an insurance quotation, so give them a try they might just be competitive.

Ris

Its nice to see Comfort Insurance read this forum i have found them very good and the awards they have won are what swings it for me, after spending lots of money i want a good insurance for my motorhome

Mel B - 2009-05-05 5:30 PM

Has anyone any experience of Campton Insurance? We've had a very good quote of £207.36 from them which includes full UK breakdown cover. To add European breakdown (90 days per year cover) and Legal Protection its another £60 and £14 respectively, bringing the quote total to £281.36. This includes a club membership 10% discount and a 10% new quotes discount.

We're currently with Safeguard who are quoting £316.29 for the same thing but with a higher 'glass' excesss and a £250 per item content cover, compared to Campton's £500 per item cover but that's not a major issue as I doubt any one item of ours int he van is worth more than £200!

Just waiting for call backs from Caravan Guard and MTC. I also tried Lifesure Group (MCIA) whose cover wasn't very good and then the chap realised he coundn't get a quote at all with us being vandalised last year!

Hi Mel,

I'm currently seeking quotes for the motorhome as one does and I can't find a number for Campton Insurance - can you let me know by either posting here or a pm. Thanks

Well, we decided to stick with Safeguard. Whilst Campton was good, we could only get 90 days European travel per year with them which, with the plans that we have (and will hopefully get to carry out!) that wouldn't be long enough. With Safeguard we've got 365 days cover ... we could literally go away for a year in mainland Europe and be covered for insurance and breakdown recovery if we wanted and we don't have to inform them when we're going or returning either. They are very pleasant to deal with too and answered my barrage of questions quite happily.

Why is it so difficult to get an online quote for motorhome insurance? I've looked at lots of companies and completed the online forms, but they all want to ring you back. Its so much easier with the car. Wonder why? I did get a great quote from Saga, but when I rang to clarify some details, I was told to just get a new quote online. I can't, because the online form doesn't allow you to put anything other than your home address for where the vehicle lives. Ours does not stay here, and I'm sure many people store their vans elsewhere too. Our van would probably be more secure where we keep it anyway! Its so frustrating. :-|

I went with caravan guard again this year, but i go on cost and what is covered.

Point is, no one knows how good any insurance company is until you make a claim.

I do like caravan guards attitude towards me when i phone them, just hope it's as good if i ever have to make a claim.

Pete

Hi,

Now in 2nd year with Comfort Insurance and Europewide Breakdown cover on my M/home. At renewal time I could not find anyone to get near their quote.

The policy is with Norwich Union but I have not made a claim or had to use breakdown cover which is with RAC. Should be OK but " the proof of the pud etc."

Bob

BarnacleBob - 2009-05-10 5:47 PM

Hi,

Now in 2nd year with Comfort Insurance and Europewide Breakdown cover on my M/home. At renewal time I could not find anyone to get near their quote.

The policy is with Norwich Union but I have not made a claim or had to use breakdown cover which is with RAC. Should be OK but " the proof of the pud etc."

Bob

Hi Bob,

I've not had a claim with Comfort but have used the RAC breakdown twice, once in Portugal and once in the UK. The service was first class on both occasions.

Don

Decided to change to Comfort but was a bit surprised to learn that satelite tv systems cost extra to be covered. This put the price up but still marginally cheaper than previous insurer.

Ris.

Archived