Motorhome insurance

Ris

I'm still trying to get quotes, its not that I'm unhappy with my current provider (Scenic) its just that I like to see if I'm getting a good deal. I'm having real problems trying to get some companies to even quote, why, because we don't keep our van at our home address. I find this odd because I'm sure there are many others who keep their vans elsewhere and to be honest, ours has to be safer in a locked building, within a locked perimeter fence than it does on the driveway at home. Other companies have a minimum cost of circa £225, so they are more expensive anyway. Has anyone else come up against this problem and who did you eventually manage to get cover from? *-)

Ris - 2009-05-11 7:06 PM

Decided to change to Comfort but was a bit surprised to learn that satelite tv systems cost extra to be covered. This put the price up but still marginally cheaper than previous insurer.

Ris.

We've just changed to Comfort today too. Cheaper than CaravanGuard, slightly less excess (£200 instead of £250 and for windscreen £75 instead of £100, not a lot in it) but it was cheaper.

As we don't have a satellite system the extra cost didn't bother us, perhaps it's better that way rather than have a 'blanket' cover for things like that you don't possess but still pay for within your premium.

Ina.

Frankkia - 2009-05-01 1:44 AM I am now actively changing all of our suppliers to ones who have a telephone support in the UK.

What a good idea!! I have had the same problem with Barclaycard, ring up, get a sullen and badly spoken voice, explain problem and repeat, and repeat, hardly any understanding of basic English. Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Just thought I would let everyone know of my newest renewal for insurance, sounds really good but obviously will not know for definite until a claim is required.

Sure Term Direct 0800 999 2030 £290 which includes £5000 personel effects, £250 excess, £60 excess for all windows which doesn't effect your NCB. £2000 for gas bottles, equipment and awning. It also has a 90 day cover for Europe which wouldn't suit you globe trotting retired type but is ok for us at the moment. Also full european breakdown cover which includes accomodation if required and a courtesy car.

I must have tried at least ten different firms including safeguard (£369) but all were above the 300/310 mark.

Hope this helps

Hi Kev, we've just insured with Sure Term after 8 years with Safeguard. I felt, wrongly perhaps, that after such a long time with them they were taking our business for granted.

Take last year and the one before for that matter, I rang them, (Safeguard), to say I'd obtained a competitive quote from a rival, (which I had), and the guy practically sneered at me. He flatly refused to even attempt to offer a price match or lower premium. As the difference on both occasions was small I stayed with Safeguard but this year I gave them neither the chance to sneer or to compete, I voted with my feet.

Martyn

Similar story here, Martyn.

I had been with Safeguard for three years and rang them back informing them that I could obtain a similar level of cover for £79 cheaper. They didn't even bother trying to beat the quote and didn't seem concerned that they were losing a customer. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be when or if I need to make a claim in the future.

kevandali - 2009-06-22 3:24 PMSimilar story here, Martyn. They didn't even bother trying to beat the quote and didn't seem concerned that they were losing a customer. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be when or if I need to make a claim in the future.

Hi again Kev, as you say, proof of the pudding. As I'd never made a claim, I've nothing to compare with if Sure Term are called into action. Here's hoping it stays that way too...Martyn

Archived