Re-plating again (again!)

DonB

Sorry about that, hit the wrong button!

I have been thinking a lot about re-plating from 3500kg to 3850 kg, because the van is so close to 3500 when not loaded and it is impossible to keep to the weight when we we are loaded. And yes, de-junking has been done several times.

I know from a practical standpoint it is possible to re-plate my van. What I need is some information about the practical implications when touring in Europe, whether in or out of the EU. For example licensing regs, speed limits, motorway tolls and vignettes, emission zones, etc etc.

Does anyone know where I can find out?

I have contacted SV Tech but they were not able to advise me on anywhere outside the UK.

Hi,

We had our m/h re-plated by sv tech, last year, to 39950kgs.

Insurance policy....no change to premium.

Speed limits......no change...already PHG class.

Tolls.......no difference....still expensive.

Can't help with the other points, but google london low emission zone for that one.

AA or RAC may know about vignettes etc.

Hope this helps

nomadicx2

Yes you are correct Emmbeedee it is 70 just had my license back from DVLA and all is as before (7.5ton license) including my motor bike licence, although only a Piaggio 125 now, but in my surgery it cost me ---wait for it ----£15 for the full medical I was overjoyed, no delay from DVLA all back within 14 days was I happy chappie camper or not.

The stories of others being charged in excess of £80 did concern me a little, not that I would not have gone ahead with the medical but that is a bit steep.

(lol) (lol) (lol)

I read little-jack's advice as, if one's age were the "wrong side of 65" (ie. over 65), then it would not be too long before the age-70 driving-licence watershed arrived and this factor should be borne in mind when considering 'up-plating' a motorhome.

Archived