Fresh water tank drain.

bob b

Perhaps Tonyishuk or Mel B could help me with this one. I don't appear to have a drain valve on my Rapido. The tank hasn't been flushed out in my ownership, and although I don't use the water for drinking, I notice that there is some sediment at the bottom I'd like to get out.If there isn't a drain valve on this particular model, is there a 'dodge' to clean the tank without removal ?

Hi,

Wet'n'dry vac cleaner - swirl some water around and suck it all out complete with muck through the access cover.

There wil be a drain valve somewhere I would think, surely must be.

Have a look under van for protruding pipe (usually PVC pipe hanging down) which will give clue to location as might be quite far from tank itself.

Jon.

bob b

I believe a 709F's fresh-water tank is within the dinette's seat base. If there is no evident external drain-point - either with a tap at the end of a drain-hose or a tap close to the water tank with a hose leading from it (as used on my Hobby) - then the usual draining arrangement with an in-board tank is via some sort of removable plug in the tank's bottom.

This plug may be a simple 'bung' (loose or on a chain) similar to that used in a household kitchen sink, or something a mite more secure that screws into a threaded hole in the tank's base. In both instances the 'plug' will be accessed through a large-diameter inspection/cleaning hatch (usually coloured red) that screws into the tank's upper surface. It is not uncommon for the position of the drain-plug in the tank's base to be well offset from the inspection/cleaning hatch - so, if you don't immediately spot the drain-plug, that doesn't mean there isn't one.

If there actually is no drain-plug or tap/hose, then there's the (very small) possibility that Rapido expects a 709F owner to drain the tank through a screw-in 'stopper' that is accessed from below the vehicle (see Pic 4 on page 191 of May 2009 as an example).

Even when a tank is regularly drained, there's every chance that sediment will remain behind. I just get a sponge and bucket once in a while and reach into the tank through it's inspection/cleaning hatch to mop up the remaining water and sediment. Plainly this technique is only practicable when a tank is virtually empty: otherwise you'd need to employ Brambles' vacuum-cleaner metod.

Our previous Knaus Sun Ti had the fresh water tank in the sofa base and was, as Derek describes, of the type that has a large red access screw cap on the top. Inside there was a long hollow tube that screwed into the base of the tank and acted as an overflow pipe when the water level reached the top of the pipe. This simply unscrewed and all the remaining water would flow out. The access port was large enough to get a hand/arm inside tha tank to clean it with a sponge or cloth.

A rather good system I thought

David

Guest Tracker

Simply pump it empty via the sink and use a sponge and bucket to clear the rest.

Alternatively you could use a hose to siphon it empty and finish off with a sponge and bucket

On our Rapido to get to the water tank, we remove the dinette seat cushion, (held down by velcro if you are lucky )

Unscrew about 4 to 6 posidrive screws to remove the seat base. ( thin ply and probably bent or cracked if used for standing on to get to the henki )

The tank is moulded to go around various lumps of metal holding rear passengers in their seatbelts. In the middle is a large 150 mm (approx ) diameter screw top. Proably tight if this is the first undo ! Its two handed job to get an even distribution of weight to turn the top (anticlockwise)

As far as I can see there is no drain, we take bottles of water with us (we fill them up on the site, the water seems fresher that way) so only use the water for loo and washing. On the odd occassion that we cleaned it out, we used a sponge and wiped the dirt up. and finished of with a paper roll towels and a dettol type work surface spray.

Rgds

Just add, for a quick empty we pump it out through the outside shower fitting and water the plants with it. This avoids filliing the gray water tank, and having to empty the grey water somewhere sensible !

Rgds (2)

If your 709 is the same as ours was (April 2003 vintage) you're looking in the wrong place! 8-)

The 'valves' to empty the water tank and the boiler are actually located under the fixed rear bed.

Lift the bed base and look at the boiler, just in front of it you should see some cut out holes in the floor, within these you will find 2 vales in the piping - one for emptying the boiler, and the other for emptying the fresh water tank. Just lift them up and you should be able to hear them emptying.

Don't ask my why they are there ... they just are! :->

Bingo !!   Many thanks for all your responses. I don't know how you found that drain valve Mel. In all my manuals supplied with the vehicle, nothing was mentioned about the position or existence of that valve. I suspect Tony has learnt something also !

Mel beat me to it !

I forgot they were there until after my reply :$

One word of warning / advice, if you drain down the system for the winter frosts ( I never do, unless I see a really cold weather forcast)and leave the drains open for a few days. The seals go dry and do not seal. So when you fill up, you can have a panic moment as the water starts to pour out the drains.

If you open and close the taps (lever flat is closed, lever up is draining) several times, the valves seal and calm is restored !

Rgds

Archived