Mobile broadband, again

Mr. Grumpy

Sorry I can't answer your question but you will find that most of the netbooks come with the option of having Linux or Windows pre installed. So unless you really want Linux, go for a Windows version with the biggest hard drive and most memory that is in your price range.

Phil.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have a lap top. With Linux I won't need vast memory or a huge HDD and a couple of memory sticks would do for any extra storage I may need. I want the cheapest net book for picking up e-mail and the occasional visit to the web when away from home. Also I can't get the lap top in the van safe so it always feels a bit vulnerable leaving it in the van.

I have just seen a post on another forum where they could not get a Vodafone dongle to work with Linux. It did seem to suggest that drivers were available but most dongles have the software encoded on the actual dongle which might be the cause of the problem. No problem of course with Windows. Most laptops are cheap these days. I have a Toshiba with 17 inch screen it cost £450, to me that is cheap!

David

For the information of the original poster. I have an Acer Aspire One running Linux (Linpus Lite) that happily runs with the most recent type of Vodafone K3565 dongle. The dongle does not plug & play automatically but needs to be manually configured with a one-off process in the below named software. Contact me by PM if you wish and I will send instructions by return.

The Acer Aspire One has 'Mobile Partner' software installed as standard that is produced by the same manufacturer (Huawei) as the Vodafone K3565 dongle. As far as I can see, it is likely that this software will detect and run any network (including foreign SIM's) when a Huawei dongle is plugged in. Most broadband dongles seem to be Huawei brand.

Please note that, as bought, the Vodafone dongle is locked to Vodafone UK and needs to be unlocked if you wish to use other networks. Vodafone themselves will do this free of charge after you have owned tye dongle for one year.

If it is desired to run a Linux operating system, then I can heartily recommend installing Ubuntu 9.04 (free download) instead of Linpus Lite. The Vodafone dongle simply plugs in and plays on Ubuntu without any manual configuring whatsoever. Additionally, WiFi detection is a breeze on either of these linux operating systems.

Nobby

Archived