Bikes abroad?

maggyd

Were wondering if we should take our bikes this year! were going though France and making for the Mosel valley starting at Trier.

Are they safe on the bike rack ie. from theft? have you heard of any been stolen from them? what do others do? especially when on Aires and Stalplatz?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Maggyd

We have always taken our bikes, on the Rapido they lived on the bike rack, on the Rimor they usually start out in the garage but invariably end up on the bike rack as it's easier that way. We've never had any problem with them being there at all.

The bike rack is secure (can't be removed without access to the interior of the van) and we use a large good quality plastic coated all in one cable/lock (like motorcyclists do but not as heavy) which loops round and through the bike frames and round the rear bar of the bike rack itself when they are on there. It holds them very tight so also ensures that if the bike rack securing arms ever came loose in transit the bikes would stay there. When on aires etc they just stay there on the back except when in use.

One thing you do have to be careful of, though, is your insurance - some have restrictions on how much they will pay out if you need to make a claim and also under what conditions too - eg some will only pay out if the bikes have been stolen whilst locked to a 'fixed or immovable' object ... unfortunately some don't consider a 3.5 tonne motorhome qualifies!

We love cycling in France etc, it is much easier than walking everywhere, and you do see a lot more. Even if the aire is only a 5 minute walk away, we usually cycle into the town/village, then have a potter around, and cycle back - much less tiring especially if you've got a load of shopping in tow. I can cycle for a lot longer than I can walk and I don't get anything like as tired doing it.

Thanks Mel :-D Ive just been over to another forum reading about someone that had one pinched off the bike rack in the Aire at Calais! a new one as well by the sound of it!! I suppose it can happen anywhere cant it if they arent secured properly! I was wondering about leaving them while shopping etc; and someone else had had one pinched there :'( just the same as here! so we,ll have to weigh up the pro,s on cons and decide. Im like you I can ride further than I can walk ;-) and a bit faster.LOL not much though according to O.H.

I'd bed money that the ones that were pinched were NOT secured to the rack though with a good lock!

If you have high value bikes, I would say don't take them, if you have some cheaper ones though, why not. We bought our last ones in France last year at one of the supermarkets (Champion I think) they were the equivalent of about £135 each I seem to recall - about 2/3rd the price of ones here. Our bikes before them cost the princely sum of £65 each, again from France (Auchan).

We also have a bike cover for them, not for security (although it does hide exactly what they are), but to keep then clean as they can get very mucky on the back of the van.

MaggyD take your bikes it's ideal cheap GREEN transport, we had ours with us this year for a 3 month stint in Spain and we used em a lot

As for theft as the previous poster says a good padlock and chain will suffice as for leaving them elsewhere again a good bike padlock and chain and lock em together round a lamp post/telegraph pole/tree and they'll be there when you get back ours always were.

We had no bother on the Aires just kept em covered with an old gazebo awning and no-one knew what sort they were.........be brave do it!!!

Guest Tracker
Knowing how easy it is to cut a securing cable or chain with bolt cutters I would also be inclined to extend the alarm system to include the bikes so that bike removal would break the circuit and set the alarm off - just remember to set the perimeter alarm at night.

maggyd - 2009-05-01 6:04 PM

Were wondering if we should take our bikes this year! were going though France and making for the Mosel valley starting at Trier.

Are they safe on the bike rack ie. from theft? have you heard of any been stolen from them? what do others do? especially when on Aires and Stalplatz?

Have been taking bikes for years - no problems.

Always locked to each other and to the bike rack when travelling.

On site we chain them to a tree overnight, or if we are 'out' for the day.

Good exercise too !

;-)

( Having said that I'll just have to hope they don't get pinched this year)

:-(

We always take our bikes. We use a long cable lock pur through frames and wheels also round the bike rack, also lock the 2 together with a u shape bike lock. Then run the alarm cable through as well, just have to remember to swith the alarm onto bike mode as well. A bit belt and braces but worth the trouble, as the bike were not cheap. Covered as well that helps to keep them clean.

David.

My view is be careful and extra cautious with top of the range bikes in good condition, but cheaper bikes and older ones no problem - just secure with a bike lock and prefarable to have a bike cover as well.

As to outside shops, again lock as you normally would.

As to insurance, make sure you are covered third partly liability, incase you accidently injure anyone or something (very unlikely but possible). Most household policies cover you for 3rd party liability but not necessarily on bikes on the Continent. Your Travel insurance should also cover you, but many of the policies available surpisingly class cycling as a dangerous sport and exclude it. Worth checking and finding a company that does cover cycling as part of the standard policy.

Take your bikes, it makes the holiday much more enjoyable even if you only end up using on the odd occassion.

Oh dear more insurance we still are having trouble finding a reasonable health insurance :-S our bikes are insured on the household insurance not sure if it covers abroad or not Ill have to read it up. We have European fully comp insurance on van so Ill check that as well. I hope its worth all the trouble :-S thanks all anyway (I think were taking them) :-D now.

maggyd - 2009-05-01 6:04 PM Were wondering if we should take our bikes this year! were going though France and making for the Mosel valley starting at Trier.

Our bikes are always on the back of our MH and we've taken them abroad several times.  There are such fab places to explore by bike.  We love to cycle along the banks of the Rhine and Mosel whilst watching the passing barges and pleasure boats.

Our bikes were not expensive and we've never had any problem chaining them to lamp posts and railings etc.  I don't think the risk is any less or greater than at home.  Use your instincts and leave them chained up where the locals leave theirs.

With regards to Aires/Stellplatz, shouldn't be a problem although I wasn't surprised to hear the story about Calais.  That Aire has a reputation for all sorts of undesirable goings on.

If you do take them to the Mosel, I'll guarantee that within 5 minutes of setting off on your bike you'll say to yourself "This is fabulous, thank goodness we brought them".

BTW you'll also need to get one of these . . .

warning.jpg.1a3becae58dd3601dee6cac717eaaeb0.jpg

Clive - 2009-05-02 10:13 AM

Best get one with an ENGINE and bolt it securely to the back or put in a garage. MUCH more freedom.

C.

But also:

Much heavier

Much more polluting

Much less exercise

;-) ;-)

malc d - 2009-05-02 3:47 PM

Clive - 2009-05-02 10:13 AM

Best get one with an ENGINE and bolt it securely to the back or put in a garage. MUCH more freedom.

C.

But also:

Much heavier

Much more polluting

Much less exercise

;-) ;-)

I agree! been there got the teashirt not what I want these days, a pedal bike suits me fine thanks. ;-)

I leave my old bikes unlocked everywhere, but no one wants them.

I know they are old and made in China, and yes, the chrome is rusty, the tyres are cracked and the paint is chipped.

But someone must want to steal them, please!

I need a new bike.

Geoff

MaggyD

Buy a decent lock if they are worth a lot of money,Halfords sell locks that are Gold rated Secure and carry £12-1500 insurance if your bike is stolen whilst secured with it

Very few people in Germany use the inexpensive mountain bike type that is very prevalent here, they generally are paying in excess of 5-600 Euros for their bikes, virtually all carry bikes, again most with decent locks.

You can cycle all the way along the Mosel at whatever pace you want, stayed on stellplatz only, not had any problems so far, if you stay at Calais then you can expect problems with all the lowlifes around there

Chris

We always take our bikes certainly wouldn’t without them if you are going to the Mosel.

Just make sure they are secured well and I would recommend a cover although everyone will known it’s bikes under the cover they don’t look quite so inviting.

I don’t think I would take expensive bikes on a rack ours are just low to mid range bikes worth about £650 each. I don’t have a problem with carrying them & they are insured anyway.

Decent bikes are £1500 to £3000 you get what you pay, cheapies are fine if you only go a few miles & and don't mind dragging something around weighing a ton.

We went for cheapest bikes that would give a decent ride with reasonable running gear & faily light.

Go to a cycle shop and have a ride on a 400 quid bike then try a 600 quid one, you will be surprised at the difference, after £600 the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I know someone who has brought a bike for nearly £3000, uses it mainly on road or hard packed surfaces, but has full offroad tyres, the words "what a" and "waste of money" come to mind, still keeps him happy.

Archived