DVLA vehicle checks at first registration

Guest Mike Chapman

Guest Mike Chapman
Speaking to a dealer today who tells me that the DVLA are currently measuring/weighing ALL Motor Caravans before the first registration. Apparently this is because some "Foreign" vans are not to the specification given in the vehicle documentation. So jobs for the boys and trips out of the office all round. Not sure how widespread this is and whether Customs and Excise are also involved. Anyone out there heard anything about this? Regards, Mike Chapman.

Sounds like one of those 'buy from me & I'll see you right' type messages some dealers are prone to put out from time to time. Anyway, what would weighing tell them - the actual weight, which is certain to be above the declared unladen weight (no fuel, liquids or removable tools, gas cylinders etc with ULW) and most unlikely to exceed MAM/GVW. And they're only interested in the latter from a DVLA/registration point of view.

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Mel E, This was most definitely not a "Buy from me & i'll see you right" message. It was as the result of a serious discussion on registering a new vehicle and is a problem to the dealer. Absolutely no idea why the DVLA are doing it but do not vehicles have a plate that also specifies ULW? What I do not understand is why they are applying this to all Motor Caravans not just imports. Regards, Mike Chapman

Guest Brian Kirby
Mike Have you considered asking DVLA themselves? I contacted them about registration for ours when we imported it and found them very helpful. If the answer's interesting, do let us know. Regards Brian

Then I have no idea why they're doing it - unless to catch out any that are already over axle weight or GVW/MAM even when not fully laden (you'll be surprised how little load capacity some brand new motorhomes actallu have - eapeciallt after adding an awning and couple of other goodies. And no, the vehicle plate does not show unladen weight. I always say to anyone buying a new motohome - get the dealer to weigh it before you take delivery and then weigh it yourself to check. You can much more easily reject the vehicle as unfit at that point if it has inadequate load capacity. So maybe - if they're doing this - the DVLA are actually doing us a service!

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Brian, Have spoken to the DVLA who initially stated that they are not inspecting vehicles. Subsequently I managed to speak to a person at the local taxation office who said that a directive had been received (from Swansea?)that "All new Motor Caravans over 12 metres in length had to be measured prior to registration but this has now been dropped". The dealer confirmed that they have received a notification that this inspection will not now be carried out on all vehicles. Regards, Mike Chapman.

Archived