Sites near Lisbon

whisturx

Leaving on Thursday heading down to Portugal. Planning on visiting Porto and then wandering down to the Algarve. Any recommendations on sites in or near Lisbon. There is a municipal shown in the CC sites book but I am put off by the stories of horrendous traffic jams getting into Lisbon ? Alternatively any sites with a regular bus service ?

Any advice appreciated.

whisturx - 2009-05-03 9:19 AM

Leaving on Thursday heading down to Portugal. Planning on visiting Porto and then wandering down to the Algarve. Any recommendations on sites in or near Lisbon. There is a municipal shown in the CC sites book but I am put off by the stories of horrendous traffic jams getting into Lisbon ? Alternatively any sites with a regular bus service ?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Ian, We are also leaving on Thursday , Portsmouth/Cherbough, Visiting friends in Brittany then planning to go on to Spain/Portugal, so also interested in all the recommendations givern, have got the books, but always nice to have others views.

PJay

PS Have kept copies of Andy and marions travels in that part of Spain, may be very helpful to us.

Hi camping Lisbon, about 4-5 miles from the centre of the city in a forest. Huge site, concrete hardstandings, all pitches have water, sewerage, 16amp elec, and a waste bin. GPS: 38.7247 -9.2063

Buses from the gate go to airport and Vasco-de-garma centre, buses 200yds down the road go to the centre of Lisbon, cheap, clean, reliable but packed. :-D Taxis were around €8

If possible don't try to get there during the rush hour as we did. ;-) If you want anymore info please ask.

You can also wild it next to the monument to Henry the Navigator on the riverside at Belem

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/olleybeak/Sites/Camping%20Lisbon/DSCN5905.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/olleybeak/Sites/Camping%20Lisbon/DSCN5726.jpg

Olley

Hi Olley,

Many thanks for the photo and advice.Did you come in from the South or North. I will be coast hopping down from Porto,although I suppose there is going to be inland Portugal that we will miss on the way down. Not sure what the coast is like North of Lisbon ? I am told it is better to the south ?

I have found the site in Lisbon in the CC book which will probably be perfect for two nights and a day site seeing as seems quite expensive.

Anymore recommendations will be appreciated.

May see you en route PJay, although we are going from Dover and dawdling down France waiting for friends to catch up. 28 degrees today !!

Hi, Lisbon is a great city to visit and the CC camp site is good with great connection in to the city but I would recommend wild camping at Belem with a tram ride in to the city.  The site next to the monument to Henry the Navigator now has "no campervan" signs but about 1/2 mile East there is a wildcamp on the river bank next to a police station and park with space for about 8 vans. The GPS co-ordinates are N38o41'32"  E9o12'45".  I'd also recommend visiting the Belem Tart shop near the tram terminal, you'll recognise it by the queues. Enjoy

Hi Doonhamer, no camping signs; what a bummer, this is us, taken from the top of the monument:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/olleybeak/Sites/Lisbon%20Wildcamp/DSCN5975.jpg

We spent a week there, 2 restaurants right behind, the custard tart shop you mentioned is about 800yds away with a big mac opposite it for free wi-fi :-D

If you look further up the riverside you can just see another van, can you still park there do you know? I believe the place you mention only has car sized marked spaces, so might not be any use to us. :-(

Amazing shop isn't it, sells just custard Tarts by the thousand, you can watch them being made, then sit down have a cuppa and eat one, their ok but people queue up just to get one. Don't understand it myself 8-)

Hi Ian we came in from Spain on the A12, only stayed at Camping Lisbon and by the river so don't have anymore info, sorry. This guy does a book which I have, it lists a stack of wildcamping places: http://www.motorhometrails.com/ I checked his GPS's and some especially around Lisbon put you in the middle of the Tagus (lol) but his directions make them easy to find.

Don't know if you have been to Lisbon before, or what you intend to do when you get there, shopping/sightseeing? Here's a blog I did of our 07 trip: http://sites.google.com/site/olleysramberlings/holiday-07-to-portugal

If you do stay at camping Lisbon, to get to the city centre, walk out of the site and turn right up the path, at the other side of the little hill you will see two bus-stops its the one on the otherside you want, from memory the bus will have Praca de Figueria as it destination, that is a square in the centre of Lisbon, so you stay on till they kick you off. (lol) Becareful because both ingoing and outgoing buses use the same stop at the campsite.

Castle is worth a look but only for the view, most of whats there has been reconstructed.

You could try "Orbitur" sites, bit like the CC but on a much smaller scale. http://www.orbitur.com/Home1.html another poster said they all have wi-fi now.

Olley

Thanks Olley. I have bought the motorhome trails book on Portugal which will be useful finding parking spots. Will probably use the Municipal in Lisbon as I don't intend staying more than two nights with one day sight seeing as I prefer the country/coast. But should not miss the capital.

Your blog was very interesting . We are going to have a few days in St Jean de Luz on the way down diverting through the Dordogne to a favourite site at Beynac on the river. Weather there is not that special though at the weekend. Stopping in either Salamanca or Burgos which ever is easier at the time. Then up to Porto to an ACCSI site which is on a bus route to town.

Van now packed,all except the Tamiflu !!!

Olley,

In Feb 2008 we parked next to the Monument but this year there were no vans ignoring the signs. The red roofed building in the banckground of your photo is the police station and the quay next to it is the park we used, I don't remember the spaces being marked for cars and there is plenty of room for a long van.  The only problem with Bellem tarts is that they can only be eaten two or more at a time! 

Hi Ian wish we were going too. :-( Portugal is our favourite country, just a thought; a lot of them don't like the spanish so don't say gracias. say obrigado. (lol) (lol)

Hi doonhamer no the Aire I was thinking of is nearer towards Lisbon, still on the riverside though. Your one sounds good, right next to the cop shop, theirs a restaurant at the end of that road as well if memory serves correctly. We walked up there one evening to look at the Torre de Belem

Olley

Archived