Dueto Extra Seat Belt

misty

Has anyone had an extra travel seat and a three point seatbelt fitted.where the long seat is .like the one at the other side.so it can be used as a proper travel seat or settee. if so is it legal (?)

misty

We have had two Duettos, a 1999 model based on the MK5 Transit and a 2008 version based on the MK7.

Without a great deal of work it would not be possible to replace the bench seat in either model with a forward facing single seat, due to the location of the water and space heaters.

If such work were to be carried out, then the new seat would have to be classed as a 'designated travel seat' and an approved seat belt fitted, but I do not know how you would go about changing its status. Perhaps a word with the DVLA is called for?

misty

I notice that the June issue of MMM (on sale May 28) will contain something about retrofitting rear seatbelts that may turn out to be useful to you.

The legality (or otherwise) of radically altering passenger seating in a motorhome's habitation area may well depend on the age of the vehicle being modified. I suspect that the older the motorhome the more scope there will be for fiddling about with the rear seating and seat-belts without infringing UK regulations.

If you wanted official advice on the legality requirements, then I believe the best way to seek it would be by writing to the Transport Technology and Standards part of the Department for Transport.

Sandra

This was one of the main reasons we ruled out the Duetto (as well as a lot of other van conversions) - we wanted four travel seats. Sorry to sound gloomy but it might be easier and cheaper to change vans than make a modification like this. It could also affect the resale value, even if done professionally - people buy a Duetto because they LIKE its layout, with that permanent settee.

The base vehicle will certainly have provision for mounting a seatbelt at that point, as our Cavarno has one (and of course the Transit is also used as a minibus base). I suspect your biggest problems will be in making the habitation aspects "fit" properly - Michael's comments about what's under the seat aren't encouraging!

Tony

Thanks for the advise .we dont own a Dueto just wanted to know if was possible before we bought one. it sounds like a big job .and expensive.might look at the Symbol ES with 4 seat belts.

I'm glad to hear that Sandra. Best approach is to decide what you need in a van, and then look for one that already fits the bill, rather than thinking how you can modify it.

The Symbol would do the 4-seat thing, as would the Cavarno (but they're as rare as hen's teeth secondhand!)

All the best with your search - let us know what you end up buying!

Tony

Archived