Please point me in the right direction - Southern France

kevandali

Hi Everyone, I have been checking out several past posts but I just seem to get bewildered by all the info on offer. I thought I would post my ideas/question and see what happens. I know you fine fellows/lovely ladies have never failed to help out previously, so here goes.

Our previous European travels are limited and consist of: Brittany 2006, Southern Brittany 2007 and Northern Italy via Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland. 2008.

We have been spoilt by France and did not enjoy Italy nearly as much, partly due to the lack of Aire type places in comparison and the fact that we had a break in once we had arrived.

We have now decided that I will take the camper and head down to southern France (coast) from Calais/Dunkirk for a week and my other half will fly out to meet me for the following two weeks.

I will probably travel down in the last week of July and my wife will join me for the first two weeks of August.

I do realise that these are not ideal weeks to visit but we are restricted by work.

My question (eventually) is:

What places do you fellow travelers recommend?

Our main requirements involve somewhere where we can jump on and use our push bikes, on the coast, has to be near an airport so i can meet my wife at the end of week one and ideally, an area where we can slowly meander along the coast before eventually heading back up to the ferry together.

We are quite flexible and may either book a campsite for a week and then combine with a few aire visits and wild camping or simply stick with the aires and wild camping only.

Any ideas at all on places that you experienced lot have already visited, as always, much appreciated.

Kevandali :-D

(ps, got a brief mention in April's edition of MMM [page 13] we were dead chuffed and when we showed the kids they thought we were just sad geeks)

Guest JudgeMental

We love the cote d azure in high summer, preferring the stretch of coast west of St Tropez with resorts such as Cavaliere Sur Mer etc....this side is nowhere near as busy as to the East of St Tropez. We always book good sites in advance as Aires will be very busy at that time and difficult to get on, so not ideal for a stress free holiday IMO.

Re security: There has been reports of robberies in Calais area recently, both on Aires and campsites (touring and tenting forum). The south of France is well known for robbery, particularly south of Lyon and in the western Mediterranean. My point here is that robberies can happen anywhere? Don’t leave it till you are dead tired, use common sense while making your assessment of a stop, and if it seems a bit dodgy it most probably is?

I am sorry that your Italian trip was spoilt by your experience, I remember from your previous posts that you did not have an alarm system fitted for Italian trip and can only assume that neither had you dead locks? but all this will not prevent someone forcing a plastic window or Heki will it.......My advice then was to leave your van on site while on a beach trip, its no different in France believe me.

We love Italy for its vitality, great food and brilliant people. We are off to Italy again this year and my daughter is flying over to join us for a few weeks, we are picking her up from Verona. Don’t assume the so called budget airlines are cheaper as we found BA half the price, with more convenient timings from better airports.

If you wish to go at that time of the year you need to book pronto - it may be to late already. Its pretty horrendous along the coast between Frejus and Monaco in the high season, nose to tail traffic etc. We go late August to a site near Antibies - La Vielle Ferme. Very close to buses and trains, and you can cycle up and down the coast as far as you wish. Its about 15mins to Nice Airport (also bus outside site stops at Airport). I doubt if there is much chance of wild camping or even finding an aire on the Cote D`Azur at that time of the year,but perhaps someone else can confirm that.

Thanks for the quick reply, Judge.

I am looking for the closest airport to St Tropez or Cavalaire-sur-mer right now

If you, or anyone else can remember any campsites that would be suitable, that would be great.

I think you are right about how busy it will be and will book in advance.

Thanks again for the help

pps had to edit this as hadn't seen the earlier post by mirage, tried the campsite mentioned but booked up, will keep looking

Guest JudgeMental

I will be surprided if you find anywhere decent this late......this site is on the outskirts of Cavalaire,

http://www.crosdemouton.com/accueil_uk.html

We stayed at “le Baie” which is in the town its self. Very French, with a good restaurant and 2 minutes to the port and restaurants..... the kids were disappointed as no Dutch or English to jam with.

My ACSI is playing up and I can’t use it at the moment but just Google the area or use Michelin, CC etc.....

There are airports all along the south coast...the nearest I can see is Hyeres at Toulon? But you need to locate where the cheaper airlines fly into.....it might be best to meet at an eastern med airport and drive over. or maybe stay in Eastern Med? some large sites here, Michele knows good beach sites, PM her.

kev my ist thought is don,t do it, july and august is horrendous in the sth france

we were in le lavandou in sept and the only way you could get a sea view was through dead mans shoes.

went to st",posers" tropez, and it took 45mins to get out so what it,s like in july/ august i hope i never experience.

aires are like hens teeth and in sept were full.

further west we were at a site near agde in june, 15e, july&august 35e,thats because it,s when they do there main business.

my wife will never go to the sth france in summer, she still remembers her father nailing a radio to a tree, it didn,t pick up r4?, it took them 4hrs to get through millau,

sept it took us ihr, to drive thro toulon so, aug no way

personal opinion but if i had to take my hols in july/aug it would not be is sth france :D

Guest JudgeMental

Alan some of us have no choice but to go during school holidays. My wife works in Education and I have two teenagers at school/college. You just have to plan more carefully and in advance that’s all....we travel all over the most popular areas in France, Northern Spain and Italy and have always had an enjoyable holiday ....Busy? Yes always, but we have never regretted one holiday yet......

We always drive down overnight to avoid the horrendous rush. Book top sites over the winter, hopefully within cycling/walking distance of a town and good public transport or hire a car.

Hi

We went to Argeles sur Mer last year beginning July. Stayed at Camping Les Pins. Not an all singing all dancing site, but very clean and only 200yds from the beach and about a 5 minute walk away from the hustle and bustle. The promenade there is 3 km long and we cycled the length of it several times past harbour round to Racou Plage. We left there and went to Collioure in a car park Aire, don't go into Collioure town itself very narrow. Bus shuttle to and from car park. Cost 7 euros a night and free bus. 24 hour security there. Then went on to Port Vendres.

Then back past Argeles to Port Guissan which is a very nice town. We stayed on an Aire at the port cost 6 euros a night. Easy walk into town or on bike.

Perpignan Airport is only a short distance from Argeles sur Mer.

Hope this helps

Le Dauphin Argeles sur Mer. Some of the plots have individual showers and wash cubicals (also kitchen sink). Airports are a little far off thogh Tolouse 2hrs Montpellier 1.5 hrs and Gerona 1 hr.

Perpignan (If you are lucky !!!) 15mins

http://www.campingledauphin.com/camping-south-of-france/camping-activity-france.php

Rgds

edit

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g196598-i5815-k2088855-Le_Dauphin_camping_Argles_sur_mer-Argeles_sur_Mer_Languedoc_Roussillon.html

I too would recommend the Spanish end of the Frnch mediterannean coast as being less crowded than the Italian end. There ae several aires on the coast, but to use them in the high season you have to get there early. They are Port-Vendres, Collure, Peyrac-s-Mer, Port-la Nouvelle, Gruissan Plage, Narbonne Plage, St Pierre-s-Mer, Valras-Plage. There are airports at Perpignan and Narbonne.

If you really want to go the the Côte d'Azur, I can recommend Camping Royal (or Royal Camping sometimes) at Agay-s-Mer. this may be listed under St. Raphael. It caters specially for 'vans and is literally on the beach, in a small cove with a beach restaurant. Plenty of walks and cycle paths available, plus a small length of unspoilt coastal cliffs. You will find it at www.royalcamping.net

Guest JudgeMental
kevandali - 2009-05-05 7:47 PM

Found a place with availability, called Camping les Embruns which is just outside Antibes, just wondered if anyone has stayed there at all?

That’s a long way from Cavalaire/St Tropez and right in the middle of gridlock territory. That they still have availability, and that I can’t find any reviews......does that not tell you something? (Not even on Zoover and the Dutch get everywhere! Lol)

The last few posters have all advised as I did and go for the Eastern Med this late in the season. You can get cheap flights into Perpignan and there are a scattering of airports in the area. But once school holidays begin the flight prices quadruple?

JudgeMental - 2009-05-05 2:50 AM

Alan some of us have no choice but to go during school holidays. My wife works in Education and I have two teenagers at school/college. You just have to plan more carefully and in advance that’s all....we travel all over the most popular areas in France, Northern Spain and Italy and have always had an enjoyable holiday ....Busy? Yes always, but we have never regretted one holiday yet......

We always drive down overnight to avoid the horrendous rush. Book top sites over the winter, hopefully within cycling/walking distance of a town and good public transport or hire a car.

judge i agree with you 100%, but as you say you plan if you have to take your hols in peak season as we used to with kids, but kev hasn,t and has no experience of how crowded it is july/aug in the sh/ france, i was just trying to warn him, (lol)

Managed to find a place not far from Papignon called Camping Roussillonnais. Not sure if anyone been there?

Going to meander down towards Toulouse, other half flying out and there is a campsite within about half an hour away on a lake.

So plan is two days chilling near Toulouse, head down to Camping Roussillonnais for a week and then see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Carrcasonne is on route? a historic and beautiful medieval walled town......There is a large Aire and campsite on the canal nearby

Ryan air and others fly to its airport

I kinda assumed you had kids........the Western Med is more of a beach destination very touristy and a likle tacky, it does not IMO have the character of the Eastern Med.....probably the most expensive streach of coast in Europe *-)

kevandali - 2009-05-09 8:17 AM

Managed to find a place not far from Papignon called Camping Roussillonnais. Not sure if anyone been there?

Going to meander down towards Toulouse, other half flying out and there is a campsite within about half an hour away on a lake.

So plan is two days chilling near Toulouse, head down to Camping Roussillonnais for a week and then see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice :-D

Presumably this is the one at Argelès? I don't know the site but the town has a long sandy beach. Towards the Spanish border you get the rocky coast and small sandy bays, whilst in the other direction you get more long sandy beaches. The best beach to try is at La Racou, just south of Argelès as this is not so crowded and has cafés. Plenty of lovely scenery inland, both the Pyrennees and the Corbières are worth a meander. Definately go to Peyrepertuse Cathare castle if nowhere else, and stop on the aire at Duillac. Lagrasse in the Corbières is worth seeing and has a good aire.

Bit of a change of plan from the last posting but will copy and paste all the advice onto one sheet and make sure I take it with me.

New plan, (nearly all booked)

Wife/Boss/other arf is flying to Perpignan (booked) on Sunday 9th August.

I leave Calais on Monday 3rd August (booked) and slowly meander down towards Perpignan in the camper, calling at Aires/places of interest on the way.

Will be cycling/walking most days and relaxing and reading on others.

Will eventually book into Camping Le Roussillonnais [red]the one at Argelès [/red](confirmed availability but not completed yet) on Saturday 8th August before picking the wife up on Sunday.

Seems like a good plan?

Will post again on the forum nearer the time as the only other thing that I need to sort out is a rough idea of which way to meander as I head south.

Any more ideas or suggestions as to where my meandering should be directed, most welcome.

Thanks again for all the help

(Have got four kids 23,21,17, and 14 but two eldest back packing in Oz and younger two have arranged other plans to holiday with friends)

Just re read post and realised have rammbled on a bit, oh well :-D

Can you give us some indications as to what sort of places you prefer - scenic? small villages? cities and cathedrals? coast or mountains? Then we can give you some more appropriate ideas on places that might interest you on your way down. I find that you need at least two overnight stops from Calais to Argelès, depending on the timing of you rossing, so you could do a few diversions. Incidentally, it is very easy to pick people up at Perpignan airport with a campervan.

My Ferry is very early on the Monday morning which gives me a good start.

I would prefer to avoid the cities as I would like to visit them with my wife on other occasions and not on my own.

I would prefer scenic/villages/canals/lakes, as I would like to combine walking, cycling and if possible maybe even some Kayaking (probably spelt wrong?)

Also love mountains but a bit worried about getting the 7 metre van up there? Would try it on my own but not with the boss on the way back.

I am not sure yet as to what times would be best to travel, day or night or a mixture of both?

Even though I love the coast, I think it is best avoided on this occasion as we will be on the coast once I meet my wife at Perpignan.

I basically have 5 days to eventually arrive at Argeles and book in on the Saturday morning.

My eventual plan would be to create a list of places that are suggested on this forum that I would like to visit, find their sat nav co-ordinates and then armed with sat nav, map and Aire de service book, away I go.

Not even sure of total distance yet, but it looks a long way down, but no rush.

Thanks again for the help, good news about Perpignan airport ease of pick up.

Guest JudgeMental
I would head for the Dordogne. A wonderful area full of interesting towns and sites plus the river for your boat and great cycling.......... Then Carcassonne as previously suggested. Culture in spades and then the beach!

JudgeMental - 2009-05-10 10:24 AM

I would head for the Dordogne. A wonderful area full of interesting towns and sites plus the river for your boat and great cycling.......... Then Carcassonne as previously suggested. Culture in spades and then the beach!

Help, help, help, help ------ help :-D

Going to follow the Judges advice, but just as everything seemed to be going to plan, got an email from Camping Le Roussillonnais letting me know that they had been mistaken and all booked up.

Just spent two hours searching different sites and emailing as many as poss but no success as yet. (by the time I get home, all the receptions are shut)

If anyone knows of any coastal campsites that I may have missed then please either post or pm me.

Not that worried really but would be nice to chill at a coastal site for a week before starting on the second week of the hols.

Cheers

Kevandali

Guest JudgeMental

I would not be worried either as you are just two adults not a family as I previously thought.........You will always find somewhere. Even if its just for a night or two. Did you try the site Michele returns to regularly?

Argles is just rows of sites one after another on the coast road....a few years ago we stopped at one on our way back from Spain in early august no problem, got on second one we tried......personally I don't like the area to brash for moi

kevandali - 2009-05-11 8:31 PM

If anyone knows of any coastal campsites that I may have missed then please either post or pm me.

Kevandali

You could try:-

Camping Municipal, Banyuls - camping.banyuls@wanadoo.fr - this site is about 1km from the beach/town centre, with 227 places. Its right by a supermarket.

Le Soleil, Argelès - On the beach, with 844 places. www.campingmed.com Camping.lesoleil@wanadoo.fr

Les Amandiers, Collioure, with 85 places and on top off the cliffs with a private path to a cove/beach. www.campinglesamandiers.com

Hope your soon fixed up. Assuming your plans are still the same, your first stop will be in the Loire Valley. You could stop at Azay Le Rideau, possibly the prettiest of the Loire châteaux. The municipal camp site is next to the château and you would be able to see the Son et Lumiere show in the evening. camping - lesabot@wanadoo.fr. Then the next night you would be down to the Dordogne or the Lot valley for your canoeing -is this just meandering down river or white water? One more day could see you on the Med, but with time to stop Carcassone is good, but very touristy especially in August. I much prefer the Cathar castles in the Corbière - Peyrepertuse as alreay mentioned, and many others.

Archived