Purchased used motorhome

I just did explain...

"The vehicle may well be safe but the above advisory is saying it may not be."

The Tester basically was saying the brakes needed to be investigated.

It may have legally pased the test, but he recommended action.

The dealer was negligent if he did not carry out this recomendation.

An MOT pass does not mean the vehicle is safe. ( I emphasise this point - an MOT pass does not mean a vehicle is safe )- A pass certificate does not imply the vehicle is roadworthy and should not be used as proof of its road worthiness.

as far as i remember you are aloud a 20% brake imbalance. This is still considered safe and road worthy. You can have safe scored brakedisks for years (I did)

I might add that this wouldnt even be talked about now, if it was a few years ago when this info wasnt provided with a mot

whats the point of a mot ? (if its not to say its safe)

Mabye the solution would be a mot on the day of sale, so you drive it off with a pass certificate.

I am going to reprhrase what I wrote.

"A pass certificate does not imply the vehicle is roadworthy and should not be used as proof of its road worthiness."

to

A pass certificate implies the vehicle is roadworthy but should not be used as proof of it's road worthiness or condition of the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnllewellyn94

there should be no play in wheel bearing at all.

uneven braking is mot failer if it is to far out

mine had the same problem had to adjust brakes

to get balance better for mot.

if garage not to far away check with them for peace of mind.

but please enjoy you new life in motorhome.

Guest johnllewellyn94
johnllewellyn94 - 2009-05-26 10:45 AM

there should be no play in wheel bearing at all.

uneven braking is mot failer if it is to far out

mine had the same problem had to adjust brakes

to get balance better for mot.

if garage not to far away check with them for peace of mind.

but please enjoy you new life in motorhome.

[/quote

shoud be ok till next mot but if you do lot of miles in the

motorhome then how can it be safe till the next mot

]

Guest johnllewellyn94

the problem is if you do lot miles how can garage say

it will be ok till next mot.

As I understand Richard North's posting, he purchased a motorhome that (as is often the case) was provided to him with a new MOT certificate. Auto-Trail has used the Mohican name repeatedly, at least back to 1996, employing chassis from various makers. The MOT advisory comments (specifically the cross-member corrosion reference) suggest that Richard's vehicle has a deal of age to it and is probably Fiat-based, but it might have been helpful if such details had been given.

Plainly the advisory 'faults' were not considered safety-critical by the MOT-tester, otherwise the vehicle would have failed the test. A MOT test assesses a vehicle's condition when it is inspected at the testing-station and, whether it is fine immediately before the test commences or becomes unsafe immediately afterwards, should not affect the pass or fail outcome of the test itself. The mileage that a vehicle is likely to cover between MOTs should also not normally impact on the test's pass/fail result, although such mileage should clearly be taken into consideration when a vehicle is being serviced on a regular basis.

The UK MOT-test certificate indicates whether an Advisory Notice has been issued, so there's no way of hiding that fact. I don't know what the position is in France regarding that country's Controle Technique (as mentioned by Randonneur), though I am aware that the scope of the CT inspection differs from our MOT test. It seems to me that, if Richard had studied his Mohican's MOT certificate before accepting the vehicle, he would have been strongly placed to negotiate on the price he had originally agreed to pay for it, or to insist that remedial work be carried out. (OK, this is being wise after the event and, as I've never bought a vehicle old enough to need a MOT test, I've never been in Richard's exact situation. If you asked me whether I would have checked the MOT Certificate for Advisory Notices the answer is "Probably not" - though I certainly would now!)

I'm doubtful that Richard has any legal recourse over this unless he can prove he was deliberately misled. That's not to say that he shouldn't express his disappointment to the vending dealership that the Mohican was not in perfect order when it was handed over to him, emphasising his real concerns over the safety implications of the Advisory Notice. Hopefully a non-confrontational approach may encourage the dealer to co-operate in addressing the advisory issues.

I would definitely advise against any 'Naming and Shaming' at this stage, until the dealership has at least been given the opportunity to deal with Richard's complaint, but it would certainly be worth doing as Brambles suggests and seek advice from the local Trading Standards office.

Archived