Truma Ultrastore water heater

Simmo1971

Hi every one i have recently been camping on a site with no hook up ,as this is my first time without hookup its the first time i have tried to heat water up using gas , The heater works fine on 230v but will not operate on gas ,in the manual/handbook it states that you turn the dial to the "gas " mark this will then show a green light to indicate that the system is up and running or a red light to indicate that there is a fault .....

Mine has neither of these infact the switch does nt light up at all , if this is a fuse problem were would i find the relative fuse ? i have already tried in the fuse box all seems to be fine ! is there anybody HELP!!!!!

Simmo1971

I suggest you begin by downloading from Truma's website (www.truma.com) INSTALLATION Instructions for whichever vintage and model of Ultrastore boiler is fitted to your caravan.

According to my 2001 copy of the Ultrastore Installation Instructions there is a fuse on the appliance's printed circuit board (pcb) and I believe this arrangement is common to all Ultrastore boilers.

In order to locate that fuse, identify where the cable that leads to the boiler's control-panel and the cable that provides the boiler's 12V power-supply connect to the boiler. Based on the drawings in my Installation Instructions this should be at the 'pointy bit' of the boiler's upper surface, above and to the right of where the intake/exhaust goes through your caravan's outer 'wall'. (It's a lot easier if you look at the drawings in the Installation Instructions!)

At this point you should find a roughly triangular cover held in place by two screws though the cover's top surface. Removing the cover will reveal the pcb and fuse. The fuse itself is quoted as a "1.6A slow-acting IEC 127/2-III" type. I think, if this fuse has failed, it will produce the symptoms you describe. If you check that there is 12V power reaching the pcb and that the fuse is OK, then (if the fault persists) the pcb itself may well be the culprit.

I note that you've used your boiler previously solely on 230V and I'm pretty sure that an Ultrastore's mains and gas operating systems are completely separate. I hesitate to ask this, but - before you start trying to track down the pcb's fuse - are you certain your boiler is in a position electrically to be able to operate on gas when you turn its gas-operation control-panel's rotary dial to the On position?:-D :-D :-D

I know that my own Truma C-Series appliance is wired so that the On/Off switch on my Hobby motorhome's 12V control-panel must be switched to the On position before the heater can operate. I've sometimes turned my heater on while the 12V control-panel's switch is still in the Off position and then wondered (for a few moments) why no light is showing on the heater's own control-panel. This was not the case with my previous motorhome, where the heater was wired differently and functioned independently of the vehicle's 12V control-panel.

I doubt if the solution to your problem will as simple as that, but it would be sensible not to overlook the obvious.

(It's always helpful diagnostically to be told whether a problem has suddenly occurred, is sporadic, has worsened gradually, etc. So it might have been useful if you could have said whether, at any stage in the past, you had established that your caravan's boiler was operating properly on gas.)

Guest Tracker

With the cover on the boiler will still attempt to light and the green light will come as it tries quickly followed by the red when it fails.

I know this because I always forgot to take the cover off ours having kept it on whilst travelling to prevent the ingress of the universal filler (sh1t) well known for its disagreeable effects on sensitive bits of kit!

It therefore follows that as no lights come when it is switched on, 12 volts is not getting to it.

Nevertheless - don't forget to remove the outside cover!

One more thing to be wary of, apart from the cowl removal on gas is to make sure your 12volts are half decent, you say you were not on hook up, and if the leisure battery drops voltage too far the heater will go out. This of course does not explain why neither green or red lights come on. Its got to be either a fuse or broken connection imo. Good luck

Archived