LPG / GPL in Europe

We've recently had a Gaslow refillable cylinder installation in preparation for travel in Europe. The likely countries visited on our first planned trip will be France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. (I have purchased a vignette for Switzerland.)

I've downloaded several POI files from the TomTom Home web site which suggests LPG / GPL is widely available (but not in Switzerland?). Is this the case, or is the a significant difference between LPG for car use and that for the motorhome habitation requirements? I have the French/Italian and Euro Adaptors from Gaslow. Should I be aware of any potential problems? As always, advice and recommendadtions much appreciated.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Remember that the amount of propane to butane gets smaller in the lpg mix the further south you go in europe. It isn't a problem for use whilst over there - or indeed here - until it comes to cold weather time then, if you still have a large amount left in the cylinders for our british winter you may be at risk of it 'freezing' up as there will be more butane in it than our own variety.

Hope it's a good trip for you.

Regards, David

Hi Richard I have had Gaslow now for nearly 10 years and have never had any problems from Norkapp to Sicilly, for travelling extended periods in Europe this is the first piece of kit I would put on any camper purely for piece of mind.

I always top up with LPG whenever there is an opporunity when diesel filling even if I may only need 10ish litres, although I can gauge it fairly accurately as approx. a litre per day across the whole years of travelling.

Will always fill up at Morri's supermarket before leaving the UK.

Just as an aside I was in an camper store recently and cost for 7kg bottle was £17.75 somewhere in the region of £1.33 per litre, I would say it costs me about 60p overall per litre.

:-D :-D :-D

Hi try this site for an explanation that's understandable: http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm

Basically Autogas is for gas powered vehicles, which don't care about the propane/Butane mix as they use a liquid feed, and in the tank the two liquids mix freely, its only when they vaporise you have a problem, with the propane boiling of first in low temperatures.

Olley

Archived