Travel money

Knaus

Guest JudgeMental
I very much doubt that they offer as good a rate as a Nationwide card from an ATM whilst abroad......When this has come up before I checked rates and Nationwide was better.

Hi,

Phone you credit card company, ask what they are offering. IE....

Deliver to your door the next day.

Reasonable exchange rate.

No cash premium charged.

Do not start charging interest immediately, foreign currency is regarded as a routine purchase.

Now....if I could find a place in France that delivers £5 notes to my door on the same terms, there might be a potential scam. :-D

You will get a better rate than the current Nationwide or the Post office etc from Crown Currency IF you apply well in advance.

Their service works well, but remember that currency differences often fluctuate, so your rate might not be so good at the time you actually travel. It could, of course be even better!

Also, they hold your money from the time of ordering, which in this time of low interest rates, isn't too bad, but when interest rates are better, you do loose slightly, in this respect.

Freewheeler

We us a Caxtonfx Euro card see web site at http://www.caxtonfx.com/ when touring in the Euro zone. The card operates through the Mastercard network but is not a credit card but a cash card. You load money onto the card from a debit card linked to your main bank account. You can load the card, check the card balance and lock the card via the web site or using text messages from your mobile 'phone. I've found it very efficient.

Caxton claim the exchange rate is good, although I've never made a proper comparison. Unlike most credit cards, there is no transaction charge when you use the card, either when paying for goods or services or when withdrawing cash at an ATM. The card is also accepted by card only fuel pumps. The only downside appears to be that the minimum amount you can load onto the card is 150 Euros and if you end up with a health balance at the end of a trip you cannot convert it back into Sterling, but it is there ready for the next trip.

Several other organisations offer similar facilities.

Richard.

I ordered euros from Currency Express yesterday and received my money today by Royal Mail Special Delivery. The exchange rate was 1.0831 euros to the £. Today its even higher.

The best rates are available from sites where you have to order 15 days in advance but I needed the money before them. Look at this site for comparisons and rates:

http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk/index.asp?sort=USDcompare

The Nationwide is a debit card so you have to have money in your flexi account, you dont pay charges at the hole in the wall and you get the going rate at the time. Also you can order your Euros from them which they deliver supposidly the next day, we havent tried that yet. I found it very easy to obtain cash anywhere in Germany and France as most of the machines have the Visa sign.

Archived