if 282.5 is the answer, what is the question?

Hughmer

Guest Tracker

What is half of 565?

Please note - this should be on CHATTERBOX - not Motorhome Matters!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my undercover contacts in Italy recently told me this is the final-drive ratio (282.5:1) that will be fitted to the soon-to-be-announced X/350 motorhome-specific 2.3litre 6-speed Ducato variant aimed specifically at motorcaravanners wishing to operate their vehicles on near-vertical slopes.

As the present intermediate gear ratios are apparently not being altered, the top speeds obtainable in each gear will be reduced somewhat as a consequence. It's felt that this minor drawback will be accepted by purchasers as an inevitable 'characteristic' of gearing that allows one to reverse up the side of a house on those many occasions that it proves necessary to do so.

I understand that the first UK-built X/350-based motorhome will be named the Auto-Trail "Everest" and will have an optional rocket-assistance package for use on really slippery surfaces (like wet grass) when traction at the motorhome's driven wheels may be insufficient to get up an incline. Evidently the Caravan Club is not entirely comfortable with this idea.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-07 9:09 AM

One of my undercover contacts in Italy recently told me this is the final-drive ratio (282.5:1) that will be fitted to the soon-to-be-announced X/350 motorhome-specific 2.3litre 6-speed Ducato variant aimed specifically at motorcaravanners wishing to operate their vehicles on near-vertical slopes.

As the present intermediate gear ratios are apparently not being altered, the top speeds obtainable in each gear will be reduced somewhat as a consequence. It's felt that this minor drawback will be accepted by purchasers as an inevitable 'characteristic' of gearing that allows one to reverse up the side of a house on those many occasions that it proves necessary to do so.

I understand that the first UK-built X/350-based motorhome will be named the Auto-Trail "Everest" and will have an optional rocket-assistance package for use on really slippery surfaces (like wet grass) when traction at the motorhome's driven wheels may be insufficient to get up an incline. Evidently the Caravan Club is not entirely comfortable with this idea.

:-D Derek,I have always read your threads and replies to threads with interest, I have in the past thought you to be intelligent, and always willing to help people with their problems in a beneficial way. So what a surprise I received when I read your input on this thread, it is obvious you dont have a vehicle affected by this Problem otherwise you wouldnt be making wisecracks about it that you are , it also doesn't help those of us effected when someone who doesn't have the vehicle in question makes light of the situation ( Fiat UK must love you) ,Granted some people have been quoting inclines to reverse up that you would not normally meet in everyday driving on the Main highways,I do expect my new motorhome to reverse up the small incline in my drive without Juddering after all the previous one the 2.8jtd did just that, you say you have a undercover friend in Italy that gives you information,It makes me wonder where else you may have undercover friends , coming out with the Mockery you have about this gearbox situation. I will from now on view what ever you say with scepticism ,thinking you may be saying one thing but meaning another, Bring back the other Derek I thought he was a credit to this Forum and the people on it, Have a nice day Derek :-D Corky

One answer could be the factor required to convert Litres per Hundred Kilometres to Miles per Gallon (Imperial).

Divide the 282.5 by the Litres per Hundred Kilometres figure to get Miles per Gallon (Imperial).

Guest Tracker

I must agree with Derek that a final drive ratio of 282.5 to 1 would bean ideal solution.

At 1500 engine revolutions that would give a reversing speed with the clutch fully engaged of 5.3 mph - which is an ideal speed for reversing a 3.5 tonne motorhome.

If it also means that fuel consumption increases dramatically, engine wear is increased and engine noise becomes unbearable at cruising speeds - well surely that is a small price to pay when one considers just how often one needs to reverse up a steep slope on wet grass.

Come on Corky sure Derek was just responding in a light hearted way to a not too serious thread. (would have been different if on Judder thread)We enjoyed the joke, and have a new Fiat on order!

Regarding the original question then the answer is easy, number of minutes it takes to get through to Sky customer services!

Jean and Robert

Tony Jones - 2009-05-07 11:38 AM

malc d - 2009-05-07 10:03 AM

The new variant that you have unearthed could be seen by some as a backward step Derek.

:-|

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that exactly what was needed? :D

If you mean 'go back to the drawing board' Tony, I think you are probably right.

:-|

A very intersting question indeed, which relates to the condition of being heterozygous for haemoglobin S.

282.5 is a specific code that can be used to specify a diagnosis

282.5 contains 10 index entries

View the ICD-9-CM Volume 1 282.* hierarchy

282.5 also known as:

Hb-AS genotype

Hemoglobin S [Hb-S] trait

Heterozygous:

hemoglobin S

Hb-S..................................

I haven't a clue what all this means but it was at the top of the tree when I googled "282.5"!

Bob :-D

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-07 7:10 PM

The condition of being heterozygous for haemoglobin S apparently causes owners of juddery Fiats to spit blood when anyone jokes about the defect.

Not all owners Derek - only those of a nervous disposition who are sometimes in danger of disappearing somewhere warm damp and dark - having given the rest of us a good laugh first!

Derek may I take this opportunity of thanking you for both a very informative and exceedingly humorous account of Fiat's resolution of the main topic of discussion on the forum. Hopefully now we will be able to move on to matters which affect us all rather than a significant minority who appear to have lost their sense of humour at the same time they they lost the ability to reverse.

Docted :-D

Guest Tracker
Au contraire Eddie! Let's keep it going for as long as Fiat do if for no other reason that it is starting to pi## Fiat off and has the extra benefit of thoroughly winding up some of our less tolerant members!

Normally very big gearing reductions involve lots of friction. Probably so much that very little usefull torque arrives at the far end.

I suspect that if done in a single stage the final drive pinion would be so large the bulge in the sump w to clear it would give negative ground clearance.

Just dragging the discussion out.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-07 7:10 PM

The condition of being heterozygous for haemoglobin S apparently causes owners of juddery Fiats to spit blood when anyone jokes about the defect.

Derek,I accept the above ,reading both your thread and my answer to it I owe you an apology= I apologise, I thought you were taking the P--s out of us with the gearbox problem,and reading it and all the following comments I hold my hands up and accept the comments aimed at me, I take this Fiat saga serious perhaps too seriously with fellow forum members , it shows what effect it is having on me, so once again my apologies Corky :-D

Hey George .... Farmer Fred might be interested in one of those then, he could plough his field at the same time! :-D

I thought the next Fiat derivative was going to be a 'push-me pull-you' type, with a cab and engine at both ends, that way you don't actually have to have a reverse gear ... they do exist too ... I've seem them at Swift!!!

:-S

Archived