if 282.5 is the answer, what is the question?

Hughmer

Guest Tracker
George Collings - 2009-05-07 8:18 PM

Normally very big gearing reductions involve lots of friction. Probably so much that very little usefull torque arrives at the far end.

I suspect that if done in a single stage the final drive pinion would be so large the bulge in the sump w to clear it would give negative ground clearance.

Just dragging the discussion out.

I hesitate to differ George - BUT?

I was always under the impression that gearing UP loses torque by virtue of the laws of whatever it is that governs gearing, as well as creating more friction?

Whereas, whilst the addition of any more moving parts, such as the idler gear normally used to get the gearbox to run backwards, will always generate more friction, gearing down does generally increase effective torque at the driven wheels?

How else would any vehicle, let alone an X250 get up any hill?

The effect of over gearing, or too much gearing up, reduces torque, encourages clutch slip to compensate and results in steam emanating from the drivers ears which obscures his vision and distorts his thinking - plus of course - more jjjjudddderrrrr!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2009-05-07 9:01 PM  :-D I thought the next Fiat derivative was going to be a 'push-me pull-you' type, with a cab and engine at both ends, that way you don't actually have to have a reverse gear ... they do exist too ... I've seem them at Swift!!! :-S

Mel, you're probably right, looks like it's going to be manufactured at the old Vauxhall factories at either Luton or Ellesmere Port and called the F***hall.

Guest Tracker

But that is only 2.8284271.

Is that a bit like py, do you mean, or is it pye - oh no I remember - they used to make tvs - so it must be pie - make mine a black cherry one please with lashings of high fat double cream!

Guest Tracker
yeti - 2009-05-08 3:45 PM

It's PI

Oh yes so t'is - I remember it well from GCE days - some 50 years ago!

Guest Tracker
Hughmer - 2009-05-08 11:13 PM

Congratulations. The question is .. er... answered.... It's about fuel

Really? What are you on Hughmer - and can we all have some please?

Guest Tracker
Corky 8 - 2009-05-09 4:19 PM

Anything to do with Viscosity ?

Depends how thick we are I suppose - or whether we will run quicker when warm!

Tracker - 2009-05-09 4:45 PM

Or lose our ability to slip and slide without Juddering,

Guest Tracker
Corky 8 - 2009-05-09 5:04 PM

So the next question is -

What is the correct viscosity of the oil to be poured over an X250 clutch to aid jjjjjudddderrr free slippage?

Tracker - 2009-05-09 5:08 PM

What in the correct viscosity of the oil to be poured over an X250 clutch to aid jjjjjudddderrr free slippage?

Automatic TQF, would help.

Guest Tracker
Corky 8 - 2009-05-09 5:12 PM

What in the correct viscosity of the oil to be poured over an X250 clutch to aid jjjjjudddderrr free slippage?

T Q F eh?

As is Thump, Quiver and Fail maybe

yes

Tracker - 2009-05-09 5:22 PM

Corky 8 - 2009-05-09 5:12 PM

T Q F eh?

As is Thump, Quiver and Fail maybe

Yes on This Quality Fiat

Guest Tracker
But why would anyone need to know that - unless they have a speedo calibrated in kph and a tank big enough to take 100 litres in one go?

Tracker - 2009-05-07 8:38 PM Au contraire Eddie! Let's keep it going for as long as Fiat do if for no other reason that it is starting to pi## Fiat off and has the extra benefit of thoroughly winding up some of our less tolerant members!

Seems like two good reasons to keep it goiing, and I was very much amused by Dereks post, I thought it was funny, appropriate, and without malice or deliberate grumpiness, unlike some of the replies.

Losos - 2009-05-09 7:19 PM
Tracker - 2009-05-07 8:38 PM Au contraire Eddie! Let's keep it going for as long as Fiat do if for no other reason that it is starting to pi## Fiat off and has the extra benefit of thoroughly winding up some of our less tolerant members!

Seems like two good reasons to keep it goiing, and I was very much amused by Dereks post, I thought it was funny, appropriate, and without malice or deliberate grumpiness, unlike some of the replies.

Time to duck out , the vultures are gathering ,

I'm going to get Derek to write my travel features in MMM in future as he seems more than adequately silly enough, and then when the serious ones in our midst want to have a go I can point 'em in Derek's direction - whichever way that may be.

And give Dennis a break - a fair cough is a fair cough.

Guest Tracker
I know all about fair coughs Andy as my sense of humour often provokes the comment - fair cough - at least that's what I think they say!

Tracker - 2009-05-09 8:05 PM

Only the clockwork ones Dennis - you know the ones that one can easily wind up!

Richard Please Believe me your not winding me up, I have watch you play these tactic,s with other members of this forum only to be joined by what appears to be members of your Clique or people who are afraid that your Character assassination Tactics may turn on them , I apologised to Derek on the forum ,which you seem to think is a sign of weakness and your invitation to try your mind games,and sarcasm as if it were your job to bring people down a notch ,When you were asking for help locating the fixing point for your bike rack on your present M/H ,no one offered jocular replies or sarcastic remarks, those who couldn't offer help kept out of it, the Reversing topic has been running for a long time and I understand people are fed up reading about it,but what some fail to remember , one of these vehicle,s could well be their future purchase,so a satisfactory outcome to this saga would benefit all, I offer you the hand of friendship,, and I will do what anyone who doesn't want to hear anymore about the Fiat Saga should do. I will avoid this thread, Dennis

Guest Tracker

Dennis,

Interesting how a humorous thread suddenly turns unpleasant isn't it?

I'm sorry if your tongue in cheek sense of humour is not as robust as mine Dennis as nothing on this thread is designed to upset anyone least of all yourself and I'm not trying to wind you up on this occasion! But that's not to say that I won't on another occasion!

I am unaware that I have a clique - and if any other individual (which is what I thought we all are) feels that they are a member of my clique please consider this a notification of termination of the TCC (Tracker Clique Club).

I'm not into tactics - I just say what I feel when I feel it - and I had never considered your reply to Derek as a sign of weakness - whatever gave you that idea?

I thought that I already had your hand of friendship and I am happy to carry on in this vein as I am not in the least offended by your reply - just a little surprised?

I'm not going to avoid any thread just because someone says something I disagree with and, with respect, neither should anyone else.

Although I don't have one of these wretched X250s there will come a day when I may well have to give it serious consideration so I too do have a vested interest, but little confidence, in getting it all resolved with Fiat.

Archived