Playback on sky hd box without signal

limerick

limerick - 2009-05-07 12:37 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Anyone know how to playback recordings on a sky hd box when your not getting a signal from sky.

rgds

limerick

You need a signal to watch recorded programmes. However, if you lose the signal once you've started watching you can carry on.

Recently, we stayed at the CC site at Bunree. It was blowing a gale. I put my crankup up for just long enough to get a signal, started playback, then put it down again.

Hi,

Thats now convince me to stick with freeview. I have a humax freeview pvr and record all the programs and take it with me to spain where it plays back fine without the arial being attached.

Once more Murdochs empire squeezes you.

Richard

Humax now make a HD satelite box which works in exactly the same way.

So if you have a sat system at home you can record all the free-to-air HD programs and then take the humax box anywhere you like to play them back.

Not only do you require a signal in order to start watching either the programmes you have recorded or those from Sky anytime but the recordings, on the hard drive, are of the original digital signal and not of the decrypted programme so you actually have to play them in order to record them on to another machine (e.g. a DVD recorder).

Yes you can watch a recorded program on your Sky hard drive without your sat wire stuck in. Its stored on the drive so when you want it look in your planned programs and play back. I take my sky box to France for the odd time If I cant get a signal from the Camos box then I can watch a recording.

Even though the Camos is not cheap its the best bit of kit I ever bought.

I also carry a Grundig HD reciever for the odd program that I want to watch live. The box was £99 from I think Comet and it is 12 volt too.

Vicwo

vicwo - 2009-05-09 9:03 AM

Yes you can watch a recorded program on your Sky hard drive without your sat wire stuck in. Its stored on the drive so when you want it look in your planned programs and play back.

Not true. You need to get a signal first and then if you lose it you can still play recordings.

I take my sky box to France for the odd time If I cant get a signal from the Camos box then I can watch a recording.

Perhaps you're not getting a signal on a 2D channel, but still tuning into the default transponder.

Even though the Camos is not cheap its the best bit of kit I ever bought.

Except it's severely limited in southern Europe, if you want to watch the main UK channels.

I think we are getting confused by the original posting. Is it refering to High def or Hard drive ?

If its on the hard drive its in the box and if my lady cant watch a prerecorded Coronation Street I will be in a bigger box

Vicwo

vicwo - 2009-05-09 11:34 AM

How come I am sat here at home with both wires unpluged and watching a recorded programe as I post this mail?

Vicwo

I don't know!! Perhaps you got a signal first and then unplugged the cables?

Is it an actual 'Sky' box or another type?

If you unplug the box from the mains and the cables and then switch it on again without the cables attached, can you view recorded programmes?

Hi Derek Yes the recordings are saved even with mains unpluged until you need to watch. That has been our experience anyway.

Off to France in 2 weeks. I NEED SUNSHINE

Take care mate.

I would ask people to try and unplug first from the mains and see if I am right or just getting too old for all this techno thingy

Vicwo

vicwo - 2009-05-09 12:27 PM

Hi Derek Yes the recordings are saved even with mains unpluged until you need to watch. That has been our experience anyway.

Off to France in 2 weeks. I NEED SUNSHINE

I know they're saved, but to view them from an unplugged box, you need to get a valid satellite signal to the Sky EPG transponder first.

Enjoy your hols. It's gorgeous here in Valencia today!!

I agree with Dereck. As I said in an earlier post the recording is stored on the hard drive in it's original signal format and you need to get a signal 1st in order for the encryption software to work in order to watch the programme.

We even had a recorded film stop on us part way through as we had lost the signal. We got a message saying a signal must be present in order to watch a recorded programme.

I suppose it is possible that an unencrypted recorded signal might be watched as that doesn't require even the sky card to be present. (unencrypted signals from free to air channels e.g. BBC, ITV, QVC etc) But I haven't tried it with those only recordings of movies

Archived