What a Dealer

rolandrat

It's about time some praise was handed out to dealers who go the extra mile when things go wrong. I want to mention Richard Baldwin and his team, in particular his service manager Steve. I recently bought a new Auto-trail Tracker which was PDI'd and had some extras fitted, I took delivery then went home and put all our necessary gear on board then went back to a weigh bridge to make sure it was within the legal weight limits then parked it up in its usual place. Two days later I went in to put clean pillow cases on the bedding and noticed that the bedding was wet which we store in the over cab area, as you can imagine I was dropped on, not expecting this situation in a new motorhome. I removed all the bedding and mattress and looked to find a reason for the water ingress, there it was, the overcab nearside window wasn't sealing proerly so I made some packers out of a piece of old plastic drainpipe. This morning I called at the dealers and Steve diagnosed the problem straight away, the locking posts had been fitted the wrong way round so no tension was being put on the rubber seal.

Top man Steve.

rolandrat - 2009-05-07 10:46 AM

It's about time some praise was handed out to dealers who go the extra mile when things go wrong. I want to mention Richard Baldwin and his team, in particular his service manager Steve. I recently bought a new Auto-trail Tracker which was PDI'd and had some extras fitted, I took delivery then went home and put all our necessary gear on board then went back to a weigh bridge to make sure it was within the legal weight limits then parked it up in its usual place. Two days later I went in to put clean pillow cases on the bedding and noticed that the bedding was wet which we store in the over cab area, as you can imagine I was dropped on, not expecting this situation in a new motorhome. I removed all the bedding and mattress and looked to find a reason for the water ingress, there it was, the overcab nearside window wasn't sealing proerly so I made some packers out of a piece of old plastic drainpipe. This morning I called at the dealers and Steve diagnosed the problem straight away, the locking posts had been fitted the wrong way round so no tension was being put on the rubber seal.

Top man Steve.

At last it's not just me who thinks Baldwins motorhomes go that little bit further I have posted on another thread on this forum my thoughts on this dealership...I bought my first motorhome from them and traded it in for me new one last month (April).

Someone mentioned about naming and shaming ,if we do that, by the same token, why can't we heap praise where praise is due!! If we name the bad ones lets name the good 'uns too.

As previously stated..I have no connection with the aforementioned company other than being a SATISFIED customer!!

Autocruise.jpg.0bfddb64f2dc6c31f0d5da068d5e1431.jpg

Hi Jhorsf

Unless it rained and they checked the van immediately afterwards, then no - these type of water leaks are likely, as seems to be the case, not to be spotted - would you think to check to see if the windows had all the catches etc on the right way round? I certainly wouldn't and I suspect the miniscule number of times this happens would mean that no dealer would normally spot it at a PDI check. So long as nothing else comes to light as being a problem then I'd say they did the check correctly - more than I can say when we've had new vans!

I suppose whats important when you have any problem is the response you get from your dealer and how they treat you when you need them, so the post will no doubt be of good use to people who are buying a motorhome in Baldwins area and looking for the sort of service we should all expect but rarely receive.

rolandrat - 2009-05-07 10:46 AM

It's about time some praise was handed out to dealers who go the extra mile when things go wrong.

I would have thought it perfectly normal for a dealer to sort out a problem with a vehicle that had been purchased from them and cannot see how this is 'going the extra mile.' Were they really expected to do nothing?Going the extra mile is surely for doing something that they are not obliged to do.

Guest Tracker

Many moons ago many dealers used to hose vans down as part of the PDI to prevent just this sort of cock up!

Mind you in them days all the bu@@ers leaked anyway and the only questions were just where and how bad and could you find it!

Nevertheless at least it was solved easily, quickly and with good grace.

Guest peter

Whilst we're on the subject of praising good dealers I'd like to take the opportunity of praising Doug Hurrell the sales manager at Camper U/K from who'm I recently bought my 2007 Burstner Marano. Brilliant handover and preperation and the van was spotless ouside and in, with evrything working as it should. As I couldn't get my hands on all my funds because it is invested in a one year bond they even arranged a free loan of 12k for 7 months until I can access it.

I know they wanted to sell me the Van, but they didn't have to do that as I offered to arrange my own loan.

Also as they are official Fiat service dealers I have a letter stating that any remedial work as currently bieng phased in by Fiat regarding "the judders" will be carried out by them as per the schedule offered to the previous owner.

I'm over the moon with the van, made even more pleasurable because of the great service I have received From Camper U/k. May they prosper during these difficult trading conditions.

Take note all the cowboy dealers out there, your days must surely be numbered unless you get your act together and stop treating you custermers as morons, which they certainly are not. Get wise to the fact that if you continue in this vein the whole Motorhoming comunity will get to hear about it.

Guest peter

I wonder if this could be made a sticky, so that future purchasers can see feedback on a dealer that they may be thinking of purchasing from.

It might also be a good idea to publish feedback giving the opposite view. For the same reason. That way hopefully folks won't make the same mistakes, or at least they will be forewarned.

Could make some of the not so good dealers pull their socks up. Which is no bad thing. :D

Archived