Habitation door stay put!

Irish Mike

Hi all,

When the habitation door to my motorhome is open and clicked into the wee socket provided on the van wall, it opens at will at the slightest breeze nearly decapitating me on more then one occassion, usually when I have a handfull of plates to be washed!

I once heard of a replacement clip but no idea where I can get one. This by all accounts was wind proof etc.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest Tracker

We use a rubber bungey type strap fixed to a convenient nearby point like a window frame or fridge vent - or even fix a fixing to the side of the van to accept the metal hook - then fix t'other end to the door - simples!

Cheap and effective jus' like that!

Guest peter
Any decent caravan shop should have them, as they are fitted to all caravans.Forget about bungees and all that bodgery and fit the proper fitting. It's not a rusty old Transit we're talking bout here. :D

Guest Tracker

Unless you buy a catch that you have to manually release there is no catch made that will reliably hold any door open in windy conditions and still let you close it without going outside to manually release it.

In windy or gusty conditions a door becomes in effect a sail and it takes something very secure to hold it open and protect it (and your fingers) from the effects of slamming shut.

Not so much a bodge - more an effective solution!

after trying all the usual catches, i was told about the catch they use on a caravan called a magnum which has to be released to shut the door, but can easily be reached from inside without having to step out to shut the door ,i managed to get one from mendip caravan centre which is now discover,that was 2yrs ago never had a problem since

My heavy GRP door is a danger in the wind, so I have done a bungey job similar to Tracker, it is fool proof. I don't want to chop my Great Grandsons head off so I have to take maximum precautions. The door is really too heavy for a catch of any kind, a brass 'silent' hook & eye would be OK as used on boats, but with rubber bungey nothing can really go wrong!!!

I do miss the stable door design that we had on our old van, you could open it in windy weather easier, and the top half could be left open while inside, for ventilation, or keep any pet in from getting out. Thats progress I guess *-) Keeping full lengh doors in the open position in windy weather does require a decent catch, but at present there is nothing to help with opening the door in a gale from it being wrenched from the hand.

I wonder if those super duper R.Vs have a hydrolic assisted door, similar as on public buses, now that would be a good idea.......

Chas

Some motorhomes now have a strut arrangement (see top-left photo on page 128 of May 2009 MMM) on their doors, but I've now idea how effective this is in high winds. You really need a 'tether' that provides a high degree of damping in strong winds, but little or no resistance in calm weather.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-09 8:55 AM

Chas

Some motorhomes now have a strut arrangement (see top-left photo on page 128 of May 2009 MMM) on their doors, but I've now idea how effective this is in high winds. You really need a 'tether' that provides a high degree of damping in strong winds, but little or no resistance in calm weather.

My experience has been that gusts of strong winds can crop up unexpectedly and can apply massive forces to the door - enough to cause great personal injury and also rip apart any holding device that depends upon the strength of typical bonded panels. So Derek's concept of some sort of reactive damper seems to me to be the right solution. Having said that I don't think the flimsey strut in the picture will last long and worse still it stands a pretty good chance of removing some one's eye if the door end fixing is forced apart.

Given today's pre-occupation with Elf n Safety I'm surprised this hasn't become a major "issue" but perhaps, and despite the potential danger, no one has suffered a serious injury yet.

V

Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-09 8:55 AM

Chas

My experience has been that gusts of strong winds can crop up unexpectedly and can apply massive forces to the door - enough to cause great personal injury and also rip apart any holding device that depends upon the strength of typical bonded panels. So Derek's concept of some sort of reactive damper seems to me to be the right solution. Having said that I don't think the flimsey strut in the picture will last long and worse still it stands a pretty good chance of removing some one's eye if the door end fixing is forced apart.

Given today's pre-occupation with Elf n Safety I'm surprised this hasn't become a major "issue" but perhaps, and despite the potential danger, no one has suffered a serious injury yet.

V

Peter

Have you been to the South of France with the Mistral winds? That is the time we use a large loop of string to hook over inside door catch and over the wing mirror.

We have had 2 catches broken when the wind took the door when we were getting in and out of van so better safe than sorry. String is cheap but a relacement catch costs £15 and a wait for delivery as our catches are not available in UK.

I go for a refined white string to blend in with the van. :-D

Chris

Archived