Hello, and a query!

wild rover

Hi everyone, hope I'm posting this to the right thread. I live in Swansea and I'm just about to purchase a motorhome. Since it will be our first motorhome my partner and I thought we should take it easy for the first month or so and stay quite close to home. Could anyone recommend a good place to visit either in the Brecon Beacons or Pembrokeshire? We like quite places. Thanks in advance.

Hi Wild Rover,

Welcome to the Forum, yes you have come to the right place.

A good idea staying fairly close to home to start then if there are any problems your near home. Also you will need to get the feel of things with you M/Home.

Theres a Caravan Club site at Pembry Park not far from you. Caravan Club, Camping and Caravan Club sites in Pembrokeshire, Tracker one of our fellow forum contributors should be able to put you in touch with sites in Pembrokeshire as its his home patch.

I am sure you will get plenty of advice from others.

Enjoy yourt new venture and good luck.

David

Just to say hello and welcome and looking forward to hearing your news on your trips out and about. Take your notepad with you and write down all the questions that will crop up.

If Tracker doesn't see this thread, I am sure he wouldn't mind you pm'ing him to see what he recommends. Have a good time. Joy

Hi and welcome

Some time ago we stayed at a very nice quiet site at Pencelli in heart of Brecon Beacons.

Site called Pencelli Castle - has a web site for more info.

It's not far off the A40 as far as I remember.

Guest Tracker

Hiya Wild Rover - is that your name or do you have an unruly obsolete British car?

I live in Pembroke and if I can be of help do please just ask. I don't know all the answers (that's Derek's job!) but I have being doing it (and motorhoming too) for a bloomin' long time and I am quite good at many aspects of it (even if I do say so myself) particularly finding inexpensive ways of solving problems without spending more loot that I have to.

Not mean - just careful - oh all right then - just plain tight!!

Sorry but I can't help regarding sites as we don't camp locally and we rarely use sites anyway.

Nevertheless you are probably right to do your practising on a site close to home where there will generally be someone available to help with any glitches - at least until 6.00 pm which is generally 'TV on' time on sites and everyone disappears and draws their blinds to watch the one eyed monster! - oh yes there will be glitches - I still get 'em so why shouldn't you!

The CC site at Freshwater East is well regarded and I think that with any CC or CCC site (that's Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club) you can join either on line when/if you book or when you arrive at a site if unbooked. One or other is worth joining and many on here are members of both as both have their pros and cons. Don't expect to easily get on these sites without booking at busy times like bank and/or school holidays.

We are in the CCC only because site fees are cheaper for old farts like wot we are (over 55s) and they also have many and varied weekend meets and temporary holiday sites throughout the UK for which in the main you do not need to book in advance - just turn up - so if the weather or the wife turns nasty you don't need to go as you ain't paid nowt!

Hope that helps - ask me another!

Guest Tracker
Hopesy - 2009-05-07 8:55 PM

Over Easter we stayed at the CCC site in rhandirmwyn 5 miles from llandovery brecon. one of the best sites we've visited and the wardens were very welcoming. thoroughly recommend this site.

But, as with anywhere wooded and wet, you will need anti midge precautions in Summer - but that's another story!

Type 'midges' or 'midgies' into the search facility on here and just see what comes up!

A good way to keep midges and other biting insects at bay, is to buy a cheap tub of cream, put 2 or 3 drops of lavender or geranium oil in it and rub it into the skin. I'm one of those folks that midges seem to love, and this method always works.

Pam

We have stayed on the CC sites at Freshwater East and Lleithyr Meadow near St. Davids. Both are great sites up to CC Clubs usual high standards would go back to both. One at Lleithyr Meadow we like as you can do a number of walks from the site and walk into St. Davids is easy.

Archived