A week in the Loire:

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Heading to the Loire for a week at Whitsun for a bit of cycling. From recommendations previously we are starting at Blois, along to Amboise. Then Saumur and St Maturin and I think that will be it........

Has anyone stayed at the Aire in Blois as I can’t find any info? Is it a large Aire? We will be arriving in the middle of the night. if full is there an alternative nearby? Or a wild camping spot?

any other recommendations welcome! We have visited Saumur in the past but are usually in a rush to get south for some heat...........

Never been to Blois, but there is a great free camp in the centre of Saumur right by the river on a cobbled car park, quite a slope so you'll need levellers and a bit more, but a great position. Much better than the camp site in the town where the Saumur aire is situated.

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2009-05-08 1:01 PM

Never been to Blois, but there is a great free camp in the centre of Saumur right by the river on a cobbled car park, quite a slope so you'll need levellers and a bit more, but a great position. Much better than the camp site in the town where the Saumur aire is situated.

I have 3 aires on my sat nav for Saumur.......where is this one? is it on the south side near a bridge?

We stayed in Blois for 3 days this past summer.

The aire we stayed in was right on the Loire towards the east side of town - basically parking on the Quai (look for motorhome signs as you drive along the river).

If you go to this page on my site, there's a clear pic of the aire; the pic of me playing the guitar is also at the aire. (you need to scroll almost to the bottom of the page)

http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/Summer2008.htm

There's also an aire de service for dumping in town near the Chateau, IIRC in the bus parking lot.

Ruth Bass has an excellent article about their recent Loire Valley trip, in the current Prac MH (probably dated August or some such nonsense!). It may have some useful stuff for you Eddie.

Certainly made us want to go there again - it's been a few years since we were there.

Hi, If I knew how I could post you pictures of the Aire but they just never work for me, put them on other forums fine but this one doesn't like me.

There is a tree lined avenue set back off the main road, this was filled with MH's when we where there, but at the end of the row there is a ramp going down with room for around 12 I would say and they are right on the waters edge, (the official aire) but late at night you maybe better looking up at the top section, must have been at least 30 parked up there when we where there last year.

Will try again with picture but don't hold your breath.

Mandy

1162187474_aireblois(Medium).JPG.8da0a626930858000fce08c8538a80e8.JPG

Hi Judge

We stayed on the Aires at Blois right by the river last August - a great Aires and even if it did rain all day, it's right in the middle of town which is a good cycling area. Suggest you leave at least half a day to have a look at the Chateau Royale which is truly magnificent. This site gets quite busy and, as suggested, I would park at the top if you arrive late and drop down the ramp into the Aire the followng morning.

Alan

Hi Eddy,

Go into the tourist Office and get the Loire Cycleway information. There are really good cycle ways which are mostly dedicated cycles only with a little shared with other traffic but even this is on very,very quiet D roads; ENJOY.

Bill Ord

Guest JudgeMental
Bill Ord - 2009-05-08 5:08 PM

Hi Eddy,

Go into the tourist Office and get the Loire Cycleway information. There are really good cycle ways which are mostly dedicated cycles only with a little shared with other traffic but even this is on very,very quiet D roads; ENJOY.

Bill Ord

Thanks Bill, we went to Sussex for the weekend and frankly were to frightened to cycle as the roads were terrifying *-) we where flashed and had horns blasted at us walking to the pub friday night! it was unbelievable.

Ironically we feel much safer cycling in South London.........

Hi Eddie,

Rather than attempting to find the aire in Blois in the middle of the night Beaugency aire might be a better bet. Beaugency is east of Blois on the N152; coming from Orleans turn left at first traffic lights in Beagency and air is on right in about 500m just before bend. Situation is nice amongst trees next to Loire. Not bad to wake up to for your first morning in France.

A couple of aires south of Tours worth a visit are St Maure de Touraine, just off N10 and Villaines les Rochers. Last one is a village involved with basket making with interesting circuit showing stages from reed growing to making final products. Aire is right outside town hall, with free wifi when town hall is open. All three aires are free for parking but services charged at Beagency.

Enjoy you trip; Can't wait to return to France in June.

Jean and Robert.

Hello Eddie,

We have stayed in Saumur for a couple of nights and enjoyed it.

It was free camping, no facilities. (Water/dumping)

Site is cobbled quai sloping down to the river. We stayed at the western end.

Google Earth Saumer and then move cursor to lat long info to find out where.

47. 844 N 4.857 W (Degrees and decimal minutes)

Good camping.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Guys and Gals!

Jean & Robert, I think I will try to get on Blois aire fri/sat morning as the Saturday market is supposed to be very good........ and I doubt that we would get on there later on Saturday. Beaugency will be put in sat nav as a reserve :-D not worried re finding Blois aire as sat nav SHOULD take us straight there *-) and in middle of night no traffic.........

Guest JudgeMental
robertandjean - 2009-05-08 7:19 PM

A couple of aires south of Tours worth a visit are St Maure de Touraine, just off N10 and Villaines les Rochers.

Jean and Robert.

These are now in my sat nav.

regards Beaugency, I now see why you recommended it as it is on route so to speak.........If I was to stop here friday night/saturday morning whats the chance of getting on to Blois aire mid morning on a market day (saturday)

Archived