Channel Crossings

rupert123

We are soon going on our first m/h trip to Europe this year and have been looking at Dover/Calais crossings. Cheapest still seems to be the Seafrance carnet deal, six crossngs at £44.50 a trip, more expensive than last years but ok. Would like to know if anyone has seen a better deal. We need flexability of times with no extra to pay if you turn up at the wrong time, which we always do on return trips. The tunnel multitrip is still to restictive both on travel times and dates so guess it will have to be a ferry crossing.

Not so good if you don't want that many, we have booked two return crossings for £42.90 per return crossing with Sea France so it depends whether you will/ want to use six crossings

Your price is less than £2 dearer but you would have thought that as you had booked so many it would have been cheaper! I suppose that is a penalty for not booking fixed times (having said that we have often returned at different times to that we had booked with no penalty).

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

just to clarify is that £44.50 each way? As I thought this offer was nearer £60 return earlier in the year......So if that's £89 return probably not bad as prices are moving up.

this year we booked 2 returns with P&O at £75 each, thought of changing one this week and price has doubled......

not sure what you mean by tunnel being restrictive, as we have always found it better in that if you leave early evening and return by early afternoon there are no restrictions on dates? whereas the ferry's have "peak time" supplements which we hit all the time. Have forgone the 10 ticket tunnel Carnet this year as having some breaks here.......

so if you are retired/flexible in your departures ferries cheaper this year but prices are on rise, which I dont really understand as freight is falling all the time.........probably trying it on *-)

I bought the SeaFrance 6 crossing carnet in the middle of December and it cost the same as the one I bought at the beginning of 2008, it was £32 a trip, so it seems as if it's better to book early.

The main advantage for me is that, with the exception of mainly bank holiday weekends, I can journey at any time on any weekday without paying any extras.

Phil.

It is £44.50 each way Eddie. I say tunnel is to restrictive, for us, because of the times and dates you cannot use without paying supplements plus would not use ten trips. I have seen a cheaper return trip price but again with large supplements if you do not return on date booked, need the ability just to turn up without the bother of a fixed date and time.

Appears to be random pricing pot luck when you buy this year. We did one trip in March Sea France was £90 return & P&O £61 saved a whole £1.50 by booking through the C&CC. Booked a crossing out 20th June back on 12th July P&O again way cheaper this year that was £110 booked via Caravan Club a whopping £2 cheaper.

What happened to the special rates we used to get from the clubs a few years ago with the caravan if we booked direct it was £300 plus through the clubs £120 - £150.

rupert123 - 2009-05-09 10:27 PM

It is £44.50 each way Eddie. I say tunnel is to restrictive, for us, because of the times and dates you cannot use without paying supplements plus would not use ten trips. I have seen a cheaper return trip price but again with large supplements if you do not return on date booked, need the ability just to turn up without the bother of a fixed date and time.

Wow! I thought that was a return figure, looks like you have to pay a lot for the benefit of not fixing your crossing dates/ times. Over double the cost seems a large premium but I suppose if you have to have it you are left with no option.

Bas

Basil - 2009-05-10 3:52 PM

rupert123 - 2009-05-09 10:27 PM

Wow! I thought that was a return figure, looks like you have to pay a lot for the benefit of not fixing your crossing dates/ times. Over double the cost seems a large premium but I suppose if you have to have it you are left with no option.

Bas

Not really Basil, just checked my first set of dates and return worked out at £119.00 by Seafrance and that was fixed dates and times, it is getting more expensive almost by the day it seems, cheapest I found was Norfolk Line and that was £91.00. Most now seem to be chargeing extra for anything over 5.5mtrs.

I use the Seafrance Carnet and I've just checked and it's still £64 return i.e. £192 for 3 returns. Best deal ever for me as I use all the crossings each year but if you only need two you can pass one to a friend or relative. I love the flexibility and guaranteed low cost.

Bill Ord

rupert123 - 2009-05-10 5:14 PM

Not really Basil, just checked my first set of dates and return worked out at £119.00 by Seafrance and that was fixed dates and times, it is getting more expensive almost by the day it seems, cheapest I found was Norfolk Line and that was £91.00. Most now seem to be chargeing extra for anything over 5.5mtrs.

I recently crossed with Norfolkline. The price on the Norfolkline website came out at over £90. The extra length surcharge did the damage!!

Went on the Caravan Club site and booked the same crossing with Norfolkline for £34!!

Just had a look at our first set of dates and it has indeed gone up but only to £37.35 each way £76.70 return which is an increase from our £42.90 return of £33.80 so yes booking early has paid off I guess, but that is still cheaper than the 'carnet' crossings I believe going on Ruperts price. Thats with a 6.7metre length by the way.

Bas

Bill Ord - 2009-05-10 4:15 PM

I use the Seafrance Carnet and I've just checked and it's still £64 return i.e. £192 for 3 returns. Best deal ever for me as I use all the crossings each year but if you only need two you can pass one to a friend or relative. I love the flexibility and guaranteed low cost.

Bill Ord

Bill the £64 return only applies up to 5.5mtrs now.

Archived