Michelin XC Camping Tyre,s

Corky 8

Pricing around for a new tyre to put on my new spare wheel, I was looking for one to match those already on the Motorhome,( yes the one that Judders) the prices I was being quoted for a Michelin 225/75/16CP 116Q were between £165 to £175 each, I found this web site French/Dutch who offered the same tyre at £110 including vat and Delivery, which I thought was good, I ordered it on Tuesday 4th on-line and it came on Friday 8th in the afternoon , hope it of some help to those needing tyres.

Nb. they are of 2006 manufacture, they are even cheaper now if you care to check.

http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyre/MICHELIN/

David Dwight - 2009-05-10 5:19 PM

Yes Barrie they are. I can get aguillis down here for around £110

David.

Good Grief, here's me thinking I,d got a bargain for a change, even my dealer was going to charge me £175 for the tyre , I have not been able to find anything cheaper on the Internet , Sorry about that folks not having a good spell lately Wrong yet again, thanks to those who answered Corky

Guest Tracker

Dennis - I think the Agilis is Michelin's replacement for the XC Camping tyre.

When I had an unrepairable puncture in a van tyre a year or so ago I got two new Agilis from my local tyre man and he took the new XC spare in p/x as he knew he could easily sell it (the other part worn XC went onto the spare).

Tracker - 2009-05-10 5:49 PM

Dennis - I think the Agilis is Michelin's replacement for the XC Camping tyre.

When I had an unrepairable puncture in a van tyre a year or so ago I got two new Agilis from my local tyre man and he took the new XC spare in p/x as he knew he could easily sell it (the other part worn XC went onto the spare).

Thanks for that Rich, I,d seen Agilis advertised, but even dearer and I didnt want to mix tyres should the case arise so stuck with the XC Camping which is already fitted to the van,is the tyre life ( 5 year change ) of the Agilis the same as the XC Camping.

Michelin's XC Camping tyre-pattern was superseded not too long ago by "Agilis Camping". The latter is M+S marked and - according to received wisdom - has far superior wet weather performance. (XC Camping came out very badly in comparative tests carried out by a German motorhome magazine.

"Agilis" (without the "Camping" suffix) is the name Michelin uses for its current common-or-garden range of 'van' tyres and it's important to distinguish between "Agilis" and "Agilis Camping" when making price comparisons.

To confuse matters further, the present "Agilis" range superseded earlier "Agilis"-branded tyres that had a suffix indicating the tyre's Ply Rating (eg. Agilis 41, 51, 61, 81 and 101 were respectively 4PR, 5PR, 6PR, 8PR or 10PR ranges of tyres).

I'm very surprised that tyres manufactured in 2006 are being marketed, as I'm pretty sure that the tyre trade normally recommends a significantly shorter 'shelf life' for a tyre than that (1 year?). Might be worth asking Michelin to comment on this.

Hi,

I can't see 2 - 215/75 tyres on the link, it shows me 4 types of tyres

195/75 @ £108

215/75 @ £134

225/65 @ £133

225/75 @ £158

is the link correct

handyman - 2009-05-10 7:43 PM

see on this link

http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyre/MICHELIN/AGILIS,CAMPING/

whats the difference between the 2 215/75r16 tyres?

One says 113, the other 116..............

braunston - 2009-05-10 8:16 PM

Hi,

I can't see 2 - 215/75 tyres on the link, it shows me 4 types of tyres

195/75 @ £108

215/75 @ £134

225/65 @ £133

225/75 @ £158

is the link correct

I need new glasses (lol) :$

Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-10 7:00 PM

Michelin's XC Camping tyre-pattern was superseded not too long ago by "Agilis Camping". The latter is M+S marked and - according to received wisdom - has far superior wet weather performance. (XC Camping came out very badly in comparative tests carried out by a German motorhome magazine.

"Agilis" (without the "Camping" suffix) is the name Michelin uses for its current common-or-garden range of 'van' tyres and it's important to distinguish between "Agilis" and "Agilis Camping" when making price comparisons.

To confuse matters further, the present "Agilis" range superseded earlier "Agilis"-branded tyres that had a suffix indicating the tyre's Ply Rating (eg. Agilis 41, 51, 61, 81 and 101 were respectively 4PR, 5PR, 6PR, 8PR or 10PR ranges of tyres).

I'm very surprised that tyres manufactured in 2006 are being marketed, as I'm pretty sure that the tyre trade normally recommends a significantly shorter 'shelf life' for a tyre than that (1 year?). Might be worth asking Michelin to comment on this.

Thanks Derek , very informative ,have wrote it down for future guide ,the ply guide very handy info too, as you suggested I have already emailed Michelin for qualification of shelf life of a tyre, and life term there after, Much obliged

jhorsf

Thanks for the link to the carbibles website - this should provide adequate answers to many tyre-related questions asked on motorhome forums.

It will be interesting to learn Michelin's opinion on shelf life - I think I've read 12 months and 24 months quoted as maxima, but never 6 years.

The tyre supplier I normally use was complaining recently about an increasing number of recently manufactured tyres showing evidence of rough-and-ready warehouse storage, a potential hazard that one might expect to affect particularly tyres that remain in storage over an extended period of time.

It may also be worth highlighting that the carbibles site's advice seems to be that a tyre should be considered to have a 6 year lifespan, irrespective of whether it is stored or in use. On that basis a tyre made in 2006, but not fitted to a vehicle until 2009, will already have reached middle age when it starts to earn its living on the road.

I have just bought a new Continental Vanco Camp 215 70 15CT1R from National Tyres for £125 including fitting and balancing. Two years ago they were £93.80 and I thought I was being ripped off. The prices you lads are mentioning seem way over the top to me as continental are the same as michelin, try shopping around to see if you can find a cheaper supplier.

Hi,

I have looked at the load ratings on most of the major tyre manufacturers specifications and it seems very difficult to understand/identify the difference between those that make a camping variant and their normal van tyre.

Does anyone know the reason for using the camping variant tyres rather than a none camping variant tyre.

Thanks

The camping tyre sidewall is slightly thicker to prevent it from cracking but I know from experience that it isn't the case. An IH that I once owned developed severe sidewall cracking on Michelin camper tyres yet my last Merc on normal commercial van tyres never suffered at all so I'll keep my eyes on this latest Fiat which is fitted with the Vanco-8 CT type.

Archived