Satelite tv problem.

suethedriver

Bought receicver, dish ,sat finder etc from fellow motorhomer last year, he showed us how to set it up etc & it worked fine ( has a card in slot but free to air)

Tried to set up yesterday but tv says no signal, and there is a very good one according to our meter & testing out next to neighbours house one!

As we are not familiar with sat tv ( have freeview only in house) is there something we are doing wrong ?

?? coax damaged ?? has been stored since sept & not moved

?? receiver box faulty ?? it has been in motorhome all winter just sat there.

Any ideas please.

Hi,

Setting up a dish for the first time can be very frustrating and time consuming. It is possible that you have tuned into the wrong satelite, the signal meter only tells you that you have a signal not what satelite you are on! You need a good compass to make it easier to set up. The astra 2 satelites are at approx 28degrees east, to make it easier I set my dish to 150degrees to start with. Then you need to set the elevation depending where you are, if in the uk then start at about 25degrees the further south you travel the higher the elevation as the satelites are positioned some where over the equator. With your signal meter connected up, make very small adjustments first to the dish alignment then to the elevation of the LMB, you will also need to turn the LMB about 10dgrees clockwise (standing facing the front of the dish)it can then be left in this position so you only have to do this once.

Make sure that there are no obstructions in the line of sight from the dish, trees etc can really upset the apple cart, make sure that the connectors on the ends of the cable are tight with a good connection to the cable screening.

I have the Maxview crank up system now and have no problem setting it using this method usually within about 10 min or so depending on my location. I hope this is of help,

regards Geoff

Tried to set up yesterday but tv says no signal, and there is a very good one according to our meter & testing out next to neighbours house one!

I don't know what box you have, but often the meter has two readings, strength and quality.

If you're using a SilverCrest/Lidl/Aldi/Maplins/Comag branded box, the signal strength indicates the signal between the box and the LNB. The signal quality appears when you're tuned into a satellite.

If you're not getting any signal strength, then it's the coaxial connection.

What a great informative site ( link) will pass on all your suggestions to hubby later.

It is a Pace Sky + DV3 box. Quite big & old i think.

I think i am right in thinking that i dont need a card at all if i only want the basic channels ?? does the card that came in it need to be out or in ?

suethedriver - 2009-05-11 8:11 AM

Bought receicver, dish ,sat finder etc from fellow motorhomer last year, he showed us how to set it up etc & it worked fine ( has a card in slot but free to air)

As we are not familiar with sat tv ( have freeview only in house) is there something we are doing wrong ?

?? coax damaged ?? has been stored since sept & not moved

?? receiver box faulty ?? it has been in motorhome all winter just sat there.

Any ideas please.

Could it be that previous owner told sky they have sold the box? If so, there is a likelyhood that sky have switched card off.

As others have said, lining up dish is traumatic if you dont have the required skills. Perciverence and very small adjustments at a time usuall y

get results. It is important to ensure that correct sattelite is aimed at Astra2 at 28.2 east of south.

I had a problem a couple of years ago when my pace minibox had been off for six months, and eventually I had to contact Sky. They told me that software would need updating as newer versions were now in use. i had to connect it to dish and tell them the type, serial no etc and they re registered it and downloaded updated software over air.

You might have same problem.

tonyg3nwl

Tony's idea of outdated software is quite possible I've had just same problem. It can be solved by a 'forced updated', as you can't be 100% certain which satellite you are aimed at then maybe need to connect to nabours dish and do the forced update, suffering a bit of brain fade at moment so check this, you need to hold down two buttons ('power' and 'back up'? or 'i' and 'back up'?) then plug in (or switch on at socket) still keeping buttons pressed, after a minute or so it will come up with message about updating software, you then let go buttons and leave it to do its thing.

I have noticed on my (at home) Sky customer channel that Sky are about to change their viewing cards, which, presumably, means that 'old' viewing cards will not work after these are issued.

As regards the original question, I have received this message from my STB when iI know I am locked on to a satellite. It has always been a bad connection somewhere between the LNB and the receiver. Its worth checking once in a while.

Sorted B-) Dish was not aligned correctly ,was too vertical for correct sat signal.

Took dish off van roof & moved mounting pole onto side of roof ladder & it just found it straight away.......

Just hope we can do it when in full view of campsite !!! though it will give people something to laugh at. Just like we laugh at others falling out over awning erection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all......

Archived