cigarette lighter permanent live

aj8one

just purchased a 12v solar panel to keep the van ( new fiat chausson ) battery fully charged when in storage . one of those small ones that plugs into cigarette lighter.

however now find lighter socket has to be live any suggestions or is it a case £12.99 for panel £60 per hour for auto electrician

Hi Al & Julie

On all the vehicles I've had the cig lighter IS permanently live - as long as you use the dashboard one, not an "extra" in the hab area.

If yours isn't, then I'm afraid it probably does mean an auto-electrician.

The wiring on modern vehicles doesn't leand itself to DIY, as they use this dreadful multiplexing (though why you'd want to show four feature-films at once in a car or camper I don't know :D !)

Sorry not to be more hopeful.

Tony

Guest Tracker

Is your own DIY skill up to fitting a second cigarette lighter socket in the dashboard - just drill one suitable size hole and shove it in - and wire it through direct to the van battery with suitable cable via a15 amp fuse?

You will then have a socket you can use whenever you want to either for charging of to run 'owt else.

Or an auto electrician might well charge less for this than for altering the van's wiring - which might also affect the warranty?

Both the cigar lighter sockets in the cab of my 2006 Fiat are only live when the ignition is on.

My mini solar panel, came with crocodile clip connectors as an alternative for this scenario, which I fix directly to the cab battery.

yes ours has crocodile clip also will look into that,

however when we had the PDI check battery seamed to have abox around it with only the positive visible will look at it again ( van in storage at present

thanks for help

alan

Guest Tracker
You only need the positive terminal to clip onto with the red crocodile clip as the negative (black) can clip onto any bare metal on the engine or in the engine bay etc to complete the circuit. There may well even be a connect point to enable jump starting without removing the battery cover- have you checked the handbook?

Guest Tracker

Never had a solar panel as I've never felt that one that cost a sensible amount of money would keep the battery topped up.

As my van is in the drive it is easy for me to go outside once a fortnight and start it up and run it for a few minutes.

However my vans have been on the old Ducato / Boxer base in recent years and have not been too bad on battery drain so I am not best placed to advise on the power drain habits of the X250!

aj8one - 2009-05-11 2:36 PM

how often do you find you need to use the solar panel on the van battery, every time you store the van or only if say longer than 3-4 weeks of not being used

alan

Whats the output on the panel and how long do you normaly leave van without using it?

I used my solar panel with the croc clip lead supplied....until squirrels chewed through it. Paid £80 to have socket wired to constant live, which has added advantage that I can leave sat nav switched on without running its battery out when I make a pit stop. Well worth the cost imho.

little jack

Guest peter
aj8one - 2009-05-11 12:03 PM

just purchased a 12v solar panel to keep the van ( new fiat chausson ) battery fully charged when in storage . one of those small ones that plugs into cigarette lighter.

however now find lighter socket has to be live any suggestions or is it a case £12.99 for panel £60 per hour for auto electrician

At £12.99 I'm afraid the panel will be a waste of space and not worth the hassle of connecting. I know, I've got one and it's useless. Sorry.

Guest peter
aj8one - 2009-05-11 12:03 PM

At £12.99 I'm afraid the panel will be a waste of space and not worth the hassle of connecting. I know, I've got one and it's useless. Sorry.

If you dont know the output of the panel, or the current drain on the battery, how can you possibly post a reply like this, in any event, the original question posted by the contributor related to a constant live supply at the cigar lighter/ aux. socket, however as so often happens here the thread has been hijacked and bears no relevance to the original post.

little-jack - 2009-05-13 6:15 PM

If you dont know the output of the panel, or the current drain on the battery, how can you possibly post a reply like this, in any event, the original question posted by the contributor related to a constant live supply at the cigar lighter/ aux. socket, however as so often happens here the thread has been hijacked and bears no relevance to the original post.

Here Here

Guest Tracker

Here we go again!

If you look upon each thread as a living conversation you might well begin to understand how the topic drifts about around the central core

Postings are not cast in tablets of stone and maybe some of you could show a little bit more tolerance and not throw poor teddy out of the pram again when what you see is not what you want to see.

Freedom of speech is a basic fundamental of this forum and long may it continue, which it will as long as no one person dictates what can and cannot be said on any particular thread.

Rant over!

Ye gods and little fishes - me defending Peter - whatever next!

Guest peter

The reason I posted as I did was to circumvent the need to convert his lighter socket to permanent live. As a £12.99 panel would be useless.

If it's a 60 Watt panel then let us know where it was purchased and I will buy some. :D In any case the panel can be connected direct to the battery via crocodile clips and save the voltage drop in the vehicle wiring. *-)

And thank you Richard.

aj8one - 2009-05-11 2:36 PM

how often do you find you need to use the solar panel on the van battery, every time you store the van or only if say longer than 3-4 weeks of not being used

alan

You naughty person you've highjacked this thread, oh sorry you started the thread. ;-)

Archived