Travel in India

Don Madge

Guest JudgeMental

Yep we were in Goa for 2 weeks at Easter, the heat was unbelievable but my aches and pains disappeared within days......

there are a few different anti-malerials. We were put of by some of the side affects and went for the expensive option "Malarone" which you only take for a few days before - daily while away - and for a week on your return. some of the others you need to take for 6 weeks after......and the side effects*-)

we paid £220 for the 4 of us I think it was from Boots or superdrug, you need a private prescription from your GP

Don, where are you heading and when? we loved India will be back soon!

Guest JudgeMental

Sounds like a fantastic trip! We intend to do the “golden triangle” before heading down to Goa the next time we visit.....

I got these antibiotics from my GP in case of tummy trouble, and they worked extremely well “ciprofloxacin” 250mg.

You need to drinks loads of water, plus add a sachet of rehydration salts (buy locally far cheaper then here) to 1 lite of water a day as well. Novemeber should be a far more pleasant temperature then when we went in April which is end of tourist season.......

Carry Anti-bacterial hand gel and use it all the time! The money etc..... is filthy 8-)

Don,

I am about to spend some time motorcycling in the High Himalyas - I leave at the end of July. The jabs you need will depend on where in India you intend to go. My trip is all in the mountains and the lowest altitude we get to is I think about 2,200 metres. Highest is 16,950 metres across a long abandoned pass, so i'm more concerened about altitude sickness and crashing the motorbike. Point is, where I'm going there won't be a problem with mosquitos because of the altitude and cold air, and the water is likely to be a lot better than in the cities because it won't have already been through several million people. Most of the jabs I need are for the brief transit period through Delhi and a couple of long train rides. I'm off to see the nurse next week to start my injections, so I will see what she says is recommended and let you know. If you are going to a more tropical area, you will probably need a lot more.

Applying for your visa's can be a bit of a pain too as it is now in the hands of a 3rd party subcontractor. I recieved mine back today after a very long wait.

Enjoy your trip - it will certainly be an experience.

kedavi - 2009-05-12 7:36 PM

Don,

I am about to spend some time motorcycling in the High Himalyas - I leave at the end of July. The jabs you need will depend on where in India you intend to go. My trip is all in the mountains and the lowest altitude we get to is I think about 2,200 metres. Highest is 16,950 metres across a long abandoned pass, so i'm more concerened about altitude sickness and crashing the motorbike. Point is, where I'm going there won't be a problem with mosquitos because of the altitude and cold air, and the water is likely to be a lot better than in the cities because it won't have already been through several million people. Most of the jabs I need are for the brief transit period through Delhi and a couple of long train rides. I'm off to see the nurse next week to start my injections, so I will see what she says is recommended and let you know. If you are going to a more tropical area, you will probably need a lot more.

Applying for your visa's can be a bit of a pain too as it is now in the hands of a 3rd party subcontractor. I recieved mine back today after a very long wait.

Enjoy your trip - it will certainly be an experience.

Thanks for the info especially the Visa info.

We are up to date on all the jabs we require.

Your trip sounds very interesting I might have joined you fifty years ago but I can't get my leg over these days 8-) 8-)

Don

Don

Lucky you, wish I was coming, though hopefully I will be there next year, have done 2 trips to India both times into the Indian Himalaya. Have done 2 trips on the railways, although 1 was an overnight run so we slept through that trip, but the experience was brillient. The best trip was the short ride on the railway from Darjeeling.

You'll have more problems at low level than you will at higher level, Delhi is not a problem as much as when I was first there just over 5 years ago, as it has been cleaned up in big ways. Can not say for other area's yet though hopefully I will get to see other areas next time I go.

I have a good contact in India and I get advice from them about travel, www.india-adventures.com

Do not let your nurse, Doctor persuade you to take the rabies jabs, not only are they expensive! you still need to have them if your bitten anyway, I know when I went last year the nurse giving me my injections was very stroppy with me an insisted that a note went on my medical records that I refused the injections.

The best advice for rabies is avoid the dogs and monkies (the main carriers) the dogs are easy to deal with as a rabid dog in India sleeps most of the day and do not go out late at night or if you do stay to the tourist area's, if you don't upset them they will not upset you!!!!!

Have a good trip you'll enjoy it, it is a culture shock but India is a fantastic country :-D

webbocj - 2009-05-12 9:13 PM

Don

I T V. could be interesting NOW

chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip.

I was last in India (Bombay) in 1958 and things have definitely improved. 8-) 8-) I've never been to Magaluf thank god.

Ian,

Thanks for the pointers all most welcome.

Don

Don

yes I agree about Magaluf, all though Goa Is becoming like that (fags, shaven heads,tats. and bling). Did the trip from Delhi to Shimla - great - backpackers paradise!!! We then went over the Rotang Pass and did a trecking hol.

Visa are a costly nightmare, we have used a courier service, travcour.com - expensive but reliable.

My wife buys the Malaria tablets over there, at one of the '000,s of chemists, cheap like all drugs there and you only take ONE a week. Booked our internal rail and flights on the internet, time consuming but it worked. good luck.

Chris

Don,

Visas are now handled by VFS Global rather than the Indian High Commission.

The process is complicated by the number of permutations of everything (visa type / duration / entries, payment method, aplication by post / person / on line, areas to be visited, your background etc etc). The information on the web site is a little disjointed I thought. As far as I could tell it was not possible to pay by cheque, so I used a postal order as I didn't trust them for an on-line payment. They issue the visa from the date they process your application and won't back date them to when you travel. That means you need to time your application carefully. Too late and you may not get it back in time. Too early and it may expire too soon if it is just a short duration one.

My visa cost £38.86, but when all the extras were added (postal order commission, secure postage both ways etc) it came to £57. I also get the impression that unless your application is an exercise in perfection it will be summarily rejected so make sure you complete it carefully.

Your background may have a bearing on how long a visa you can have and how long it takes to process. For example company directors are considered as a more risky prospect. Journalists are also viewed with suspicion and need extra paperwork.

The website for VFS is http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk . I hope this is of help to you.

Guest JudgeMental
webbocj - 2009-05-12 10:36 PM

Don

yes I agree about Magaluf, all though Goa Is becoming like that (fags, shaven heads,tats. and bling).

Yes this is true.........Here is a snap I took on th beach in Goa this April. We just moved down the beach a little. Let me tell you the Russians are far worse *-)

Goa.jpg.53e3aebedf8c7cf150f154cbf6cd0ee7.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
carebear - 2009-05-13 10:17 PM

Judge was that Candolim Beach, wasnt as full as that in February.

Yes Candolim beach in front of Bobbies's Shack :-D

Don Madge - 2009-05-12 3:45 PM

Has anybody travelled to India lately? If so what anti Malaria medication did you take and were there any side effects.

Regards

Don

Sorry Don, we take Paludrine / Avloclor,= Proguanil / plus Chloroquine. Never had any side affects, just a pain having to finish the coa**e 4 weeks after arriving home.

Friends who travel with us dont take anything, thats taking a chance with your life.

We buy ours from www.travelpharm.com cheapest place we found to buy.

just over £12 FOR 7 weeks coa**e, + free delivery.

They ask what other medication you take, your GP`s details.

carebear - 2009-05-15 10:31 PM

Don Madge - 2009-05-12 3:45 PM

Has anybody travelled to India lately? If so what anti Malaria medication did you take and were there any side effects.

Regards

Don

Sorry Don, we take Paludrine / Avloclor,= Proguanil / plus Chloroquine. Never had any side affects, just a pain having to finish the coa**e 4 weeks after arriving home.

Friends who travel with us dont take anything, thats taking a chance with your life.

We buy ours from www.travelpharm.com cheapest place we found to buy.

just over £12 FOR 7 weeks coa**e, + free delivery.

They ask what other medication you take, your GP`s details.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I'm going for Eddie's recomendation, Malarone, starting two days before the trip and finishing seven days after.

At our age we can't chance not taking precautions it would be courting disaster.

Don

Archived