Morocco

doonhamer

I'm hoping to visit Morocco in March 2010 and would be grateful for any advice about do's/don'ts, essentials to take, places to visit/avoid, etc.  In particular I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who has travelled with Blue Camel.

Guest Tracker

We went with Desert Detours in February this year and it was quite an experience which we thoroughly enjoyed and we will go back one day.

Rough roads - persistent beggars and sellers of just about anything - poor sites - dirty towns - friendly smiling people - amazing sights and locations - all prices negotiable - wonderful country.

Hi,we were in Morocco all February this year, and I agree with the previous poster. I would take plenty of wine and spirits for trade as that's what the Moroccans want, we were able to wild camp on beaches near Agadir but were moved on by the police twice, camp sites are abbismal, dirty and falling to bits, facilities in general were unusable so you use your vans services, sites only cost about £6 a night and so called guarded locations were about £1 to £ 3 a night.obtaining Dirams was easy, most camp sites will change money for you, also ATMs are everywhere.water was available freely at garages ,wells etc.There are large Supermarkets in main towns so food was easily obtained, local markets were also very good but some of the sites and scenes were a bit off putting and did not appear very hygenic, ie, animal heads and live chickens in with fresh meat.The ferry cost 230 euros return and had gone up to 280 euros on our return in April.Roads were terrible, pot holes everywhere and police radar traps very common, a friend was done 400 DIRAMS for speeding but only paid 100 Dirams with no receipt,yes the police are corrupt. Crossing into Morocco is easy despite all the horror stories you hear, you are given all the required papers at the ticket booths,and you don't need a guide to get you through.

I have not used Blue Camel tours but did obtain an old itinary of theirs and followed some of it roughly, all the tours basically follow the same route so its easy to get around and a good map and a lonely planet guide will get you round.You will get fed up with the kids begging and waving you down as you travel,they seem friendly, but they spit at your van and give bad gestures if you don't stop, and no matter what you take to give to them will not be enough and they all want more, adults too.Shop keepers are a real pain as they won't let you browse in peace always trying to make you buy what you don't want, bartering is the norm and the Moroccan always wins despite what you may think.The weather in February was not all that good,we had torrential rain ,flooded streets ,snow and sun,in fact the weather in Spain was much better than Morocco.

Our trip [ 5 weeks ] cost exactly £500 plus the ferry and insurance, fuel was cheap as was food and camp sites about £6 as stated.Morocco is a beautiful country and the people are friendly,but I've been there and based on my experiences I would not be in a hurry to go again,but never say never.Old western clothes are good for trade also.

Guest Tracker
That's a pretty fair summary Malc although we only had two wet days right at the end at Essaouira. Shame 'cos that was the best town of all we thought - c'est la vie!

Hi1,

Blue Camel are good and look after you. We went with them three years ago mostly Brits but some Swiss. I can happily recommend Eddie and Floh of Blue CAmel . They will take you inland to the real Morocco and leave you on the coast at Agadir so that you can linger along the beaches if you want. Its a dramatic country and there are some spectacular sights. The people are friendly but, sadly the ones that you are likely to meet will all be trying to stop your van so that they can ask you for sweets/clothes or cash. You will get used to it but should be aware that sometimes, if you do not stop, they will stone you (some even have catapults). Eddie and Floh warned us on the first trip and whilst we did not have any trouble on that trip we met a few who had.

This year a pal we went back with another couple (late Feb - ferry fare had just risen to 250 Euros return - if I had know earlier I would not have gone).

Its true about the inland route - most folk (and there are thousands of campervans there - mostly French) are doing the same thing. Its also true about the campsites - you will be glad that you have your own toilet and shower.

This trip we met more folk with cracked windscreens and damaged vans and my pal, who was in front of me on the outskirts of a small inland town was stoned one day. I saw it happen, a bunch of young boys just threw the stones almost half heartedly after he failed to obey their calls to stop (kids are calling for you to stop all day, every day, everywhere!!). Two of the yonger ones (thank goodness) then stoned me. I had a few scratches but my pals two year old Autotrail had a dent the size of a golfball!!!

The incident totally put me off and I will not be going again.

Happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmm...another good reason to buy a van with a GRP shell, and probably best to carry a spare windshield as well......

I think I will pass *-)

We went with Desert Detours. It was a good move. The whole experience was very well organised and geared to providing a real"taste" of the country in a relaxed manner.

Try the web site for info, they are advertised in the MMM.

They may be booked up for this year but well worth a try.

The only bad (ahem) experience that we had was being flooded out of the camp site in the destert, But hey, as Ray (Desert Detours) says quite often - Morocco, expect the unexpected! And whilst it was a bit dramatic at the time every one pulled together and got out out with "bragging rights".

yeti - 2009-05-15 12:26 AM

One solution to stone throwing youths is to buy a cheap load of oranges and throw them back. They are too busy picking them up to throw stones.

Get your passenger to do it.

Hi Yeti,

It's ten years since we were in Morocco and we had three very happy winters there.

Many people use to chop up carrots and throw out to the children. That worked OK if you were solo or number one in the convoy. :-D :-D I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

We just waved and by the time we were passed the children and they realised no sweets it was too late to throw stones.

We got a nasty dent in our Laika but I just stuck a vent over it. Many people would stick stickers on small dents.

Don

yeti - 2009-05-15 12:26 AM

One solution to stone throwing youths is to buy a cheap load of oranges and throw them back. They are too busy picking them up to throw stones.

Get your passenger to do it.

We've been to Morocco several times, twice in the last 3 years, and have not so far suffered from any stone throwing. I don't deny that it happens but I don't think it's such an issue as it used to be.

One useful deterrent to potential stone throwers is to keep a camera handy, if the kids think that they are going to be photographed they soon change their minds!

Throwing things to the kids, such a sweets, which we have seen done on several occasions is not really a solution - in fact it reinforces the kids belief that motorhomes are a source of goodies and encourages the begging.

AndyC

Archived