Why do we carry a Jack?

Guest peter

I very much doubt if youse could carry Alice me ansum.

Not if she's like them there Cornish biddies Iv'e seem down them thar parts.

Theys got mussels like Geoff Capes from all that plough pulling and humping bales of straw my old ansum. :D

I saw a MH last year where the owner fitted a kind of frame round one wheel, the one that was lowest, and this had a "foot" that could be wound down thereby raising the wheel. This he did whilst i watched from the comfort of my awning. His wife called out when to stop by, presumably, watching a levelling device in the MH.

In a couple of minutes the MH was level with this one wheel held neatly a couple of inches off the ground.

I thought this was a great idea and after reading this thread I wonder if anyone else has one of these?

It was certainly easier than the Jacks and Ramps i have seen other MH'ers use.

Personally I think it would be easier to drive up a ramp - you have to drive on the frame anyway so just sling a ramp down instead, drive up more than you need and then just gently roll down on the brake until level....only takes seconds to get level. Cannot really see the advantages ...sorry!

Guest peter
What a pallaver. Next, someone will be carrying a Forklft truck on a trailer and using it to level up the end of the van. :D

Tracker - 2009-05-14 1:31 PM

So if Fiat normally supply a vehicle in standard trim with a spare wheel and jack, but the converter elects to buy his base vehicles without a spare wheel and jack, where does that leave the unfortunate owner should he get a puncture that the gunge will not cope with and no spare wheel or jack?

Depending on what kind of convertion you are having and on what chassis, many chassis cabs are supplied to the manufacturer as a 'push me pull you' - ie 2 chassis cabs back to back with a very small chassis between, which is then cut off and the proper length alko chassis or like wise added. In these cases no spare wheel ever is delivered with the cab.

With normal convertions using the existing chassis on the cab, again as far as I know most maufacturers come in without a spare wheel. These chassis cabs are used in the convertion of motorhomes, tipper beds trucks, flat bed trucks etc and are an obvious later add on purchase at point of sale.

If it was supplied as bought, in whatever guise without a spare wheel and jack you have no problem at all.

You only have a problem if you as the owner removed the jack and spare to save space - they may do it once, but after that will start charging!

The recovery people are not going to use your own equipment - that is for you to use should you not want to wait 6 hours on a bank holiday in the rain! The recovery techs will use thier own equipment which is far superior.

I admire the confidence of those who are able to change a wheel in ten seconds on the off side of a 3500Kg vehicle in the pouring rain on a motorway with traffic doing 70mph a few feet away. Very impressive. Me, I am a whimp and intend to stay alive with all my limbs intact. Help is but a phone call away even if it takes ages. Time to put the kettle on?

Archived