Dog query

wild rover

It depends on your dog. We have 3 dogs and never have a 'doggy smell' in the van, or at home for that matter. They love gong out in the motorhome and we soon get a routine with them, just like we have at home, so no problems. Try to keep to the same times for letting them out, walks, feeding, bed-time etc and they'll soon settle to it.

What have you got ... motorhome and dog?

I don't have a dog but my sister has two, and she would like to come with me on some trips at times. The dogs are quite big, one is a lab and the other is a staffie. They're not dirty dogs, but they do have a certain doggy smell, especially if they get a bit wet.

Pam

Every dog we've had has absolutely loved motorhoming (and caravanning/tenting before that). They adapt with amazing ease to the whole lifestyle and enjoy every minute of it.

For travel, Roxy (our current Border Collie) wears a harness which clips into one of the seat belt buckles. I know that others prefer crates, although I think these would need to be really well secured, while others find their dogs simply curl up on the floor.

Guest Tracker
wild rover - 2009-05-13 9:45 PM

Hello again. I noticed that many of you take your dogs with you when you go off in your motorhomes. I was just wondering how you manage to cope with a dog in a relatively small space, and how do you keep doggie smells at bay?

Pam

Dog and owner training and dog and owner regular washing!

If the dog is smelly try getting the anal glands cleared - particularly if it is old or not very active, although you will generally become very aware of when this needs to be done!

Simples!

My dogs love the motorhome. We have no problem with dog smells in the motorhome. I have 3 large breed dogs although 2 puppies and growing fast. One tip is to carry dog shampoo should they find something nice to them to roll in so you can wash them down outside first!!

As for moving around the motorhome whilst all inside - they should be relaxed after the walking etc so are quite happy to fall asleep and should I dare to get up, they must remain laying down so I don't trip a*** over t*t.

Losos - 2009-05-14 1:02 PM
wild rover - 2009-05-13 10:51 PM but they do have a certain doggy smell, especially if they get a bit wet. Pam

Ahh, wet dog smell, don't you just love it !! Well I do anyway.

Slightly off thread but here goes, we recently borrowed a carpet cleaner from a colleague who owns 2 dogs. We set the machine up and off I went, within 20 minutes my Missus who has asthma, was in the car with me and on the way to casualty.She was ok thank goodness, the build up of dog hair in the machine was so great, even though the machine looked clean triggered the attack.Us not being dog folk never gave it a thought, never again.Martyn

Its a completely different experience when you go away with your dog or dogs :-D they get you out walking and you end up talking to people that you dont normally talk to when on your own, make sure your sister baths her dogs if she is coming with you, my dog hasnt a smell! at least I dont think so! it is natural for their fur to smell when they are wet but I dont find it umpleasant, but in the summer months I lift the carpet and just have a runner and doormat so I dont have to hoover just shake the mat as my dog does shed fur and I have to hoover every day when the carpet is down.

Any unwanted dog smells from them being wet is normally found in the carpets or bedding. Once the dog is dry, the smell should go providing the bedding and carpet aren't harbouring the smell. We have taken up our carpets and we have washable mats and a cheap off cut of carpet for the dogs to lay on, so all is washable or throw-away-able. The floor is so much easier to wipe down in the winter from wet paws and it doesn't seem any colder than with the carpet providing you have your slippers on!

Archived