Aarrgghh fridge has stopped working.

Ventoux

I've been living in the vehicle for 6 months connected to mains. In the last couple of days the fridge has stopped working via the mains. The green light is still on though. I've removed the 2 vents on the outside, but can't see any replacable parts in there (no local fuse), just a load of dust. Habitation fuses and safety trip ok.

Unsure if 12v option is ok or not.

Before I spend an hour or more trying to slide it out for further inspection, could anybody suggest what the prob' may be?

Hymer 544

No, I haven't had a Hab service in the 2 years I've had it :-(

There is a 240 volt element inside the fridge that has possibly gone, this is what happened on mine, the green light was lit, and it still worked on both 12volt and gas.

240v element replaced and back to normal.

Hope this helps.

Stew (lol)

Just had to change ours, thought it was the fridge unit gone as it did not work on gas either but when I removed the fridge it was a blown 240v element (easily tested with a multi meter across the live and neutral) and a blocked gas jet, pure coincidence that both sources failed at the same time.

If you need any information on doing the work or where the cheapest I was able get the 240v element was let us know.

Bas

Ventoux

A 3-way fridge's 12V and 230V heating elements are within the insulating material that surrounds the gas chimney, so you'd need to be very lucky to be able to replace them without first withdrawing the fridge from its housing.

Have you checked that it is cooling OK on gas? Assuming the fridge is the original one fitted to your Hymer then it's now 20 years old, which is a fair age for a leisure-vehicle refrigerator. It sounds like the problem is (as has already been diagnosed) a failed 230V heating element, but it might be wise to check that the cooling system is working before you pull the fridge out.

Archived