using electric kettle

duetto owner

When on a campsite with electric hookup just plugged the kettle in worked ok.

Today went out into country stopped off for a cupper but plugging the kettle in did not work off the leisure battery. Am I right I need some sort of adapter plug that converts the three ping plug into a two pin and have to use the 12v socket or can I get the three pin normal sockets to work of the leisure.

still learning so all this may be user error.

first time used with no hookup.

Guest Tracker

Does your van not have a GAS hob and appropriate kettle?

You really MUST start reading the handbooks to discover what does what and when and why it does not when it does not!

To make a mains kettle work off of 12v you will need an inverter capable of producing enough power in watts to power the kettle.

Inverters this powerful are available but they are very expensive and will flatten your battery very quickly.

Perhaps you should consider buying a wind up kettle - you know works like a wind up radio - only its, er, a kettle?

If you are trying to use a 240volt kettle it will only work while you are on a hookup which is supplying the required 240volts.

You will probably need a seperate 12volt kettle for use when not hooked up ( or use the gas and a non-electric kettle).

Guest Tracker

DO NOT PLUG A MAINS 240 VOLT KETTLE INTO A 12 VOLT SOCKET AS YOU MIGHT DO EXPENSIVE DAMAGE AND YOU MIGHT EVEN START A FIRE.

I DON'T KNOW ANYONE DAFT ENOUGH TO TRY THIS BUT I BET SOMEONE HAS AND CAN TELL US WHAT HAPPENS!

Hi Duetto owner.

Any van has two separate voltage systems.

A.. A 12 volt system that is capable of supporting things like lights, water pump and the fan on your gas heating system.

B.. A 230 volt system like you use at home, this can power within reason most of the things that you would use at home ie, fan heater, electric kettles etc, this is powered by the hook up, so you lose the ability to power these items when you disconnect the lead, so it's out with the old gas kettle I'm afraid.

Regards PKC.

Sorry, Yrocker already explained it, missed his post.

pkc - 2009-05-17 7:49 PM

B.. A 230 volt system like you use at home, this can power within reason most of the things that you would use at home ie, fan heater, electric kettles etc, this is powered by the hook up,

..but not all at the same time.

I'd advise you take a good look at what sort of motorcaravanning you do most of. If you're more often than not on sites with hook-ups, it's worth carrying 230v gear and accepting that you'll manage without it when there ISN'T a hook-up available. But if you only occasionally use hook-ups, then 230v equipment probably isn't worth the space/weight it takes up.

We realised last year that was our situation, so we've gradually phased out our mains kit. Hook-up is still useful when we stay somewhere for a while, to charge the battery, and when we use eit we put the fridge on mains to save a bit of gas. Otherwise, we're young, free and single - no, make that middle-aged, married, but independent! :-D

1) A 2.4 Kw mains kettle connected to a 12 volt outlet will take half an amp and will dissipate 6 watts. It will take a very very very long time to warm up!!!

It is unlikely to cause any other problems other than you might nod off to sleep.

By the morning it might be de-chilled - but no more.

2) On the other hand a 12 volt kettle connected to a mains 240 volt outlet will be a bit brutal. It will take about 250 amps for a few milliseconds in which time the circuit breaker will open and disconnect it. Again as you probably won,t notice the "clonk" as the breaker opens you might nod off too sleep as in scenario 1. By the morning the water should be at ambient temperature.

3) If no mains USE THE GAS.

Clive

C.

Iced Tea anyone?

So! Glad that has all been cleared up re 12 volts and mains.

Bet none of you have a 60 watt 12v electric blanket -- its great in the winter to take the chill off the over cab bed. Mind you, one does tend to fall asleep sitting at the table waiting for the bed to warm up!!!!

One problem we found of hiring a motorhome from what is a primarily car/van hire company, they thought 240v kettle, one saucepan and electric toaster was "fully equiped", it transpired the managers experiance of 'camping' was staying in a static on holiday site!

tried a 12v kettle once...and I am still waiting for it to boil....use a good old whistling kettle on a gas ring when you have no hook up..do not waste your time or money on a 12v something and think that it will work just like the 230v equivalent.

duetto owner - 2009-05-17 6:42 PM

When on a campsite with electric hookup just plugged the kettle in worked ok.

Today went out into country stopped off for a cupper but plugging the kettle in did not work off the leisure battery. Am I right I need some sort of adapter plug that converts the three ping plug into a two pin and have to use the 12v socket or can I get the three pin normal sockets to work of the leisure.

still learning so all this may be user error.

first time used with no hookup.

you will need a very long hook up lead lol

All replies are correct but what we do if to conserve gas whilst we are on the move and stop for a quick cuppa etc, IS, that we have a 750 watt kettle just the size for 2 cups and it boils the water in 3 minutes via an inverter, - so although it would use 62.5 amps in an hour, for just 3 mins it has used just over 3 amps, then as we travel on to our destination it has been put back into the battery.

:-| :-|

Someone has just bought me an Electric Travel Mug to plug into the cigarette lighter as you are driving to wherever you are going to stop to drink it - I suppose! Don't know how hot it gets and if it makes you a good cup of coffee whilst on the move. Will let you know.

Archived