Are solar panels worth while?

spospe

Firstly, let me say that we have a solar panel on our van and it works well, we have never had a flat leisure battery.

Secondly, let me say that since we are tourers and are on the move most of the time that we are away, the leisure battery is being recharged from the alternator before it goes flat anyway. It would only be a prolonged stop that would cause us a problem and that could be easily solved by the use of mains on a site.

So my question to all you good Forum members is, what are the criteria that would lead you to fit such a panel?

Guest Tracker

We don't have a solar panel and rarely use sites as we too are on the move a lot and we too have never had a flat battery - except when a duff battery has failed to hold it's charge!

Extra batteries are a loss less expensive than a solar panel, easier to fit, and can easily be removed when you change vans!!

We've just bought one! We had a second leisure batter fitted in February and as we hope to be doing a lot more long term touring we decided to get a solar panel to complete the 'set' as it were.

We very rarely use campsites and, once we have the luxury of being able to spend more time in one place we feel that is when the solar panel will come into its own - no worrying about the batteries running low.

Whilst staying at Peterborough show from Thursday to Sunday, we did notice the batteries draining down a fair bit, especially as it was cold and we needed to have the heating on a bit more than normal (Truma blown air). We did stay on a site on Wednesday and had hook up so the batteries were well charged before we got there but it's surprising just how quickly the heating can gobble up the juice. I also like to use my laptop and we also like to watch about an hour's TV/video on a night just to settle down before bed and have a cuddle with the dogs.

It may not be the most cost efficient way to get power but it will certainly support the way we chose to use our motorhome. Similarly, we're just about to get Gaslow for the van too.

I have a solar panel fitted it is a130 which puts in a minimum 5amps. It tops up the leisure battery first then switches over to top up the engine battery, I think they are the best thing since sliced bread and I wouldn't be without one at any price.

rolandrat, you must live in different country to me if you have a 'minimum of 5 amps’!!!!!!

On dull days, I have often seen outputs in the milliamp range and out of the late spring, summer, early-autumn season, the day length is too short to put many ampere-hours into the battery.

In Norway last year the panel was great since we had 24-7 daylight for weeks on end, but at the same time we covered some 9000+ miles and so the alternator kept things well charged even without the panel.

On reflection, I agree with Tracker, an extra battery is normally the way to go and a panel only of real benefit if a) you stay put for long periods and b) you visit southern climes. Even then, you need the largest panel that will fit on the roof, anything under 85 watts is a waste of time (other than for keeping the batteries charged when the van is not being used).

spospe - 2009-05-20 5:44 PM

Firstly, let me say that we have a solar panel on our van and it works well, we have never had a flat leisure battery.

Secondly, let me say that since we are tourers and are on the move most of the time that we are away, the leisure battery is being recharged from the alternator before it goes flat anyway. It would only be a prolonged stop that would cause us a problem and that could be easily solved by the use of mains on a site.

So my question to all you good Forum members is, what are the criteria that would lead you to fit such a panel?

Hi Spospe

I am now on the third solar panal on three different vans they have all been 80watt panels and I have never had a flat battery yet.

I have two 85watt leisure batteries and have converted almost all my interior lights to LED another good investment, I too was at the Peterbourgh show and we did not scrimp what we we used ( exept for blown air heating ) and the batteries never flickered.

I must admit the highest input I have ever seen is 4.5 amps and that is with the sun overhead.

I also have a Battery Master fitted and my vehicle has a computerized panel and from this I can tell the leisure battery voltage and Amperage been used, and with the Battery master fitted once my leisure is charged the surplus diverts into the main vehicle battery, and because of this all batteries always show the same charge.

For over two months around about christmas due to illness the Motorhome was not started but when I checked a week before Peterborough all batteries had 13.8 volts of charge.

So as you can see I am a great fan of Solar Panels, I know they are expensive, but it's only one outlay and you have years of trouble free charge.

Terry

Guest Tracker

At the end of the day, or even at the beginning of the day, as with many things, it is a cost against convenience conundrum.

A decent size solar panel and regulator offers a lot of convenience for a lot of cost and there is no right or wrong way - just different philosophies.

It's the same with refillable gas bottles - which are not always perhaps quite as convenient as one might think if you happen to need gas in a country where suppliers are sparse - and you don't speak the language to be able to ask - and I remain to be convinced that for our use that this too would give a convenience (for us) factor higher than it's cost factor??

So as we have a good payload allowance with spare capacity (weighbridge checked) a third leisure battery and a third Calor gas bottle will do us for now - or at least until our perception of the cost to convenience factor swings the other way.

On the other hand compared to changing the van the cost of either is very small so if you like your van, are going to keep it for a few years, will get some benefit and the cost is not an issue - well why not have it all and enjoy! Go for it!

i have 2 x 75w panels, 4 x 125Ah leisure batteries, sterling battery to battery charger, battery master, 50A mains charger & a generator. the mains connection to the electrobloc is unplugged & mains power is from a large inverter.

i have never had to use the generator to charge the batteries & only use hookup at home in the winter to run a fan heater to save having to drain the tanks. i used to leave the mains charger switched off but now put it on for a couple of days once a month when the van is not in use as i'm told the mains charger will stop the sulphate build up on the plates.

i hardly ever use campsites. i occasionaly stay on aires but don't use the hookup even when it's free.

the longest the wheels haven't turned when away in the van was 5 days in southern italy in november.

i use a lot of mains power - toaster, bread maker, sat TV, expresso machine, computer etc.

haven't run out of power yet.

now where did i leave my belt AND braces?

are they worth while?...... it all depends on why you want them

Solar panels are brilliant but get a good one, regulators are the same get a good one.

If you can move the panel to track the sun & have a decant regulator Morningstar for example then 8o watt should do fine,

I have a 50 watt Kyocera Solar panel & a Morningstar sunsaver controller, the panel is free standing & I move it to face the sun as much as possible, I’ve always a full battery as the panel gets full sun from sunrise to sunset

I’ve also got led lights, dedicated 12 volt tv & freeveiw box (no inverter to power).

If you intend to have the solar panel fixed to the roof then go for a bigger panel maybe 80 100 watts + depending on your usage & a mppt regulator, or if using a standard regulator/controller go for even bigger panels.

Also make sure you have good quality cables & position the regulator as close to the battery as you can, I use the sunsaver as its safe to use in hazardous conditions

Paul

Are solar panels worthwhile? Well I'd like to alter that question slightly and then give my version of an answer.

"Do I need a solar panel?" My answer would be "what type of touring do you do? always on main sites with hookup? no need for a solar panel.

Rarely use a main site but travelling for an hour or two every other day? A second leisure battery would be more use along with a decent split charging system, something like the Sterling battery to battery unit to maximise the charge to your leisure battery.

Can stay in one spot without hookup for up to seven days. Yes a solar panel of a decent size can be a real help to you, especially when coupled with a few power saving details like using LED lighting. I'd also suggest a second leisure battery if you only have one now.

I have a 100 watt panel fitted and a compressor fridge. On our two first weekends away (Peterborough 5 nights and Newbury for 4 nights) we never saw less than 12.5 volts on the leisure battery, even first thing in the morning.

Yesterday I fitted two 80 Watt panels for a customer and at 5 pm in severely overcast and raining conditions it was still producing 0.7 amps.

In other words a solar panel (or two) are worthwhile for some but not for everyone, its mainly dependent on your camping style.

D.

Yes! Just to add my experience. Last year at the Peterborough show we stayed the 4 days and by the end the battery was showing low and we had to be careful on what we used. This year at the same show with a solar panel fitted, we had no problems and had what we wanted on. This is the closest we can compare.

And to add our experience. We have caravaned/ motorhomed for over 30 years, we rarely stay on sites and don't use hook ups if we can avoid them using mainly CL's and Aires now. We have one 110 amp liesure battery and a 135amp vehicle battery (which we would use only in an emergency. We have never had a Solar Panel or generator and we have not ever run out of power in all the years we have followed our hobby, we have however had a total loss of power due to a 'deceased' battery. We have in the past with the caravan spent as many as 10 days in one spot.

Currently with the motorhome we tend to tour more.

We do not specifically conserve energy, though we turn off anything not in use. We use the blown air heating, water heater and occasional TV as we desire. I have only just changed the lights to LED after buying them at Peterborough show this year so we have been on normal and some halogen. Our batteriy seems to last for around 7 years before we notice a decline in its usability.

So our answer is no, for us a Solar Panel is an expensive and unneccesary addition.

Bas

We have just come back from our winter in Portugal - whilst there we have not had one night on hook up in the last 3 months. The geny was only started twice and that was to run a camping washing machine and spin drier. We stayed on one place by a lake for 4 weeks and another for 3 weeks - others for about a week each.

On board we have blown air heating (a battery flattener that is) and a 19" t.v. attached to a Sky HD box (with it's constantly spinning hard drive it's another flattener). The t.v. is used quite a lot as in January / Feb it is dark early just like here in the UK.

So how do we keep the batteries going - We have 2 x 120w solar panels on the roof which I fitted with hinges and props so that when we are "settled" the panels are tilted to catch the low winter sun. I also carry a 60w panel which is fitted with a bulgin type plug (can only plug it in one way round) This is plugged in to a lead which goes to the array side of the regulator. the small panel has a stand and can be placed pointing at the sun to give max benefit. (the small panel is rarely used in the summer) All the panels are feeding 3 x 110 Ah batteries.

It works for us but of course it wasn't a cheap option for all those panels but as we are in our 'van 7 months out of the year and rarely if ever stay on camp sites it gives us the flexibility we prefer.

Archived