Online stores price errors?

Irish Mike

Hi ya,

Just received Riverleisure new email pushing awning sales. A lovely looking drive away awning Riversway mobile 300 for 99.95. You click to gain entry and low and behold the price is now 149.95! I email riversway leisure and I was told it was an error and the correct price is of course the higher one. Surprise or what? This is the 2nd time ( not Riversway leisure the 1st time ) that this has happened to me. Is it a ploy to suck you in and assumimg you will buy at the higher price?. If this was a Tesco or M&S you would receive the product at the lower price. No question. How many thousand incorrect emails were sent fron Riverseway leisure I wonder.

Professional or what?

Hi Mike

Unfortunately you do NOT have the right to buy something just because the price is marked wrongly (cheaper than it should be). The seller has the option of selling it to you for that price or not at all, they are under no obligation to do so. Whether M&S or Tesco would do this for a high priced product that makes it 33% cheaper I don't know, not tried it out. In today's climate I doubt it though.

If this was a 'ploy' that the company used to lure you in then it has obviously backfired - ask yourself, would it really be worth it with the number of email queries they'll be getting and the time they'll be wasting answering them? I seriously doubt it.

Sounds to me like someone just put the wrong price on, ain't difficult to do and I'm sure they'll be more careful next time. :-D

Ya, they sent the email after I questioned the price.

Ok, just me getting uptight. A high and low over the item.

Disappointed. You would imagine that after spending a lot on Layout, design, content that they would get the most important thing correct!

English law is clear on this issue.

It is based upon the Common Law of Contract.

A retailer doesn't actually have to sell you anything at all.

In law, any offer/advert/price sticker that they make/display is called "an invitation to treat".

You then make an offer to buy (at that advertised price or indeed at any other price).

The seller then decides whether to accept your offer.

Only if/when the seller accepts your offer do you then have a contract between you to supply/purchase.

A lot of stores may sell you something at the lower of two advertised prices if you ask them to do so. But doing so would be a goodwill gesture; they are not under any legal obligation to do so.

Bummer eh.

However, they may have committed an offence under Sale of Goods legislation (I think). This could be a matter for Trading Standards.

And, yes, sometimes M&S will give in. I bought for £9 a pair of trousers which came up at £19 when scanned. Although they said it was an error I got them.

Archived