privacy rooms for troopers

jonnyboy

Can anyone please advise me if it is advisable to fit a wind out awning and then buy a privacy room to fit on it OR buy a drive away awning . I am thinking that the privacy room is very bulky and heavy to cart around in a small camper and not practical to take down every time you want to drive off as well as costing about £ 850 for this set up . The alternative is a drive away awning . i would welcome any advice from anyone who has either set up and is willing to advise me . i have recently bought the van and so far love it .

Just to add a spanner in the works. On our last motorhome we had a safari room which never came out of it's bag as we never stayed anywhere long enough to warrant it, plus it was a bulky and heavy item to carry. When we bought our new motorhome we decided just to have the wind out awning.

Since then we saw at the NEC show a set of shades that attach to the front of the awning and the sides by telescopic rods. The shield you from wind and rain and when folded up fit in half a carrier bag and are very light. This gives us a little extra sheltered space for the dogs but is very quick and easy to put up and take down if we want to pop out or move on. I can give you the name and contact number if you want them, but I'll have to go to the motorhome for that. It all depends on how you use your motorhome, we like to tour rather than put roots down in one place.

When we started camping, we had a driveaway awning, it was fine the first year or so, but then we started to camp in a different way, we found we were no longer stopping on sites for more than two days at a time, and used the awning less and less, of course, 25 years ago, you could only get canvas awnings with steel poles, which weighed quite heavy.

and was always in the way if you stopped enroute for a brew.

not used an awning in the last twenty years, don't stop anywhere long enough to justify one.

Also, we only have a two berth van, and if anyone wants to camp with us, we take a cheap dome tent for them to use.

Pete

Thanks very much for advice . i think your suggestion would be the most suitable as it is so light and not very bulky . Would much appreciate if you could let me have the name of the product when you get a minute

Hi Jonnyboy and welcome to the mad house. :-D

I note that you've only recently bought the van - are you really sure you want an 'extension'? If you've only had the odd trip away I'd suggest giving it a bit longer to see if you do indeed need one (of any type).

If you do decide to get something you'll find there are lot of freestanding ones on the market, especially second hand (just look at eBay!). You should be able to pick up what you want at a fraction of the cost of it new and more than likely it will be 'as new'. We got a freestanding awning/kitchen tent at a local car boot sale for £8!!! It's not one of the really posh one but it had only been used once does have the openings at both front and back and roll up 'window' covers too, it's not too heavy either and is very easy to erect.

If you want a freestanding one to attach to your van (with a tunnel) you're looking at a 'proper' drive-away one, and the cost will be more than a totally freestanding one.

When we were in our early days of campering, we had an Commer Autosleeper pop-top and then a converted ambulance which we had a drive-away awning for, it was a pain to carry around as it was bulky, and once on site we really only used it to store stuff anyway!

Thanks for the advice . i think you are right in saying give it a bit of time and see what we really want and need . That is a really good point and as you say i could keep a look out for one second hand . i must say on a completely diferent thread what a fantastically freindly and helpful bunch all you guys are . When we went on our first outing to a small farm site on Romney Marsh we hadnt been there 5 minutes before someone came over and made conversation and there was much more of that the rest of the weekend . And it kept up when we went to Southwold last weekend with so much freindliness we didnt want to go home !i think we are going to have a lot of fun in " Nessie " , our very own home from home ! Once again thanks a lot to you all who replied , you have made my day .

Hi Jonny - thanks for that, very nice of you to say so! :D

Just another thought - if you do find that you want to be able to store things like deckchairs, tables, BBQ etc when in site for a few days, why not get yourself one of the cheap beach tents/wind shelters? They're less than £10, with a large un-zipping front so you can get your stuff in and out (easier than a normal tent). We've used these for years, and they work very well and take up very little room. This is the type I'm talking about, there is another type but it's not as good (we've had both).

beach shelter - for storage

Whilst I was having a shuftie on eBay I also spotted a larger version which might solve your initial problem.

Larger shelter

jonnyboy - 2009-05-21 6:01 PM

Thanks very much for advice . i think your suggestion would be the most suitable as it is so light and not very bulky . Would much appreciate if you could let me have the name of the product when you get a minute

Hi Jonny boy

The company is called lillypad leisure, tel: 08452305260, web site: www.mysunshade.co.uk.

They are also at the shows if you are going to one, otherwise they do mail order. Hope this helps

Archived