Manufacturers Warranties a la Ned Swift

Wills Wagon

Those who have been following Ned Swift's escapades may wish to reflect on the issue of manufacturers warranties. Are manufacturers playing fair with dealers? I know from personal experience that major dealers are very slow to deal with warranty claims that involve a significant amount of labour charges. I have discussed this with a few motorhome owners and it seems to be quite common. Is the real problem that the allowance manufacturers give dealers on labour charges are too low. In the past both motorhome dealers and Fiat warranties have involved charges of about £80 per hour but dealers warranties only allow around the £50 mark. This means dealers are reluctant to deal with labour intensive warranties or pad out claims by and I quote "laying on health and safety issues/protecting carpets and fittings/cleaning up afterwards which inflate their labour claims so that the dealers labour charges fit what the manufacturers allow. As most warranties are paid for by insurance companies is this the real problem. What do you experts think?

I work for a company that is known around the world for it's high quality of work on vintage aircraft, if we could get £50 per hr we would be ecstatic, if fact if someone was to offer to pay us £40/hr at moment would have to throw a bucket of cold water over the boss.

Melvin

Thanks for that - I was thinking more of a warranty that was insurance-based right from the moment the motorhome was first sold.

I've now found Rachel Stothert's article (MMM August 2008, pages 182/183) that covers warranty terms and conditions in some detail.

colin - 2009-05-22 10:00 PM

I work for a company that is known around the world for it's high quality of work on vintage aircraft, if we could get £50 per hr we would be ecstatic, if fact if someone was to offer to pay us £40/hr at moment would have to throw a bucket of cold water over the boss.

It's always been my conclusion that labour rates in workshops are based on the size of the operation as a whole.

Big site, large showroom, lots of advertising, plenty of bright lights and neon signs ( plus what the customer will swallow) = high labour rates.

Best value is normally found in small operations, recommended by others.

(Trouble is you may not know about them because they don't advertise !)

:-(

Basil - 2009-05-22 10:14 PM If you think thats bad, try going into a Jaguar main dealers and coming out with a per hour labour charge of less than £126 /hour!! Bas

I suppose you could take the Jag to a Main Ford dealer where hourly rates are between £50 and £70 - after all most of the components on a Jaguar "S" type are shared with the Mondeo...

Archived