Rattle in Avondale 5ELX

Guest Keith S

Guest Keith S
Any ideas what fix there is on a very loud rattle which appears to come from just above the drivers door. The base van is a Fiat Ducato. At first I thought it was the door causing the rattle but when the door is opened whilst in motion (not done on the public road) it appears to come from just above door in the space above. I've yet to see another model on the roads?? are we the only owners or did Avondale only make a few because it not being very popular. Cheers.

• 11 months later...
Our Avondale Seascape SLX has the rattle you describe from above the driver door. It seems to originate from the overhead pod. It seems to come and go. Is quite annoying and I suspect it is because a rubbing strip was not put between the van and the body. I think very few of these motorhomes were made. We are generally happy with it and think they are attractive vehicles, but would like to hear from you on any other issues. Incidentally, we bought the 'prototype' or demonstrator if you like which appeared in all of the brochures and on the web site until recently.

I get the same noise on my Rapido, it is wind noise and is dependant on wind direction and vehicle speed. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago when it was very windy and came and went according to my direction of travel. But only on the side that the awning is fixed.

Guest starspirit
I don't suppose it is something as silly as the overhead locker door (or door stays) (or loose hinges) (or light fitting) (or skylight) vibrating is it? We have had this syndrome on almost every van until the catches and/or other offending gubbins were adjusted and foam pads inserted at judicious points. Could be a loose wiring loom in the roofspace void but I don't know how to cure that one.

[QUOTE]peter - 2007-01-08 9:24 PM I get the same noise on my Rapido, it is wind noise and is dependant on wind direction and vehicle speed. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago when it was very windy and came and went according to my direction of travel. But only on the side that the awning is fixed.[/QUOTE]

Peter

Are you quite sure it isn't your forward awning mounting backplate that has loosened inside the vehicle?

[QUOTE]Keith S - 2006-02-05 10:29 PM Any ideas what fix there is on a very loud rattle which appears to come from just above the drivers door. The base van is a Fiat Ducato. At first I thought it was the door causing the rattle but when the door is opened whilst in motion (not done on the public road) it appears to come from just above door in the space above. I've yet to see another model on the roads?? are we the only owners or did Avondale only make a few because it not being very popular. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Simple analysis.  If it rattles, it is loose.  If it is loose it should be either a) tightened/fixed or b) removed, because it is redundant.  As the rattle is loud, I assume the object is fairly heavy and hard, and is rattling against another hard surface.  In either case the only solution is careful dismantling to gain access.  If dismantling is not possible, you may have to live with it. 

However, I would recommend some further investigation since whatever it is may have a function that will be impaired by its looseness, or may cause damage to other components by rattling around.  Can you gauge its nature from the sound?  Most objects have characteristic sounds so that metal does not sound like wood etc.  If you knock and bang around the area with your hand/knuckles, can you replicate the sound or even get the object to "rattle back"?  This may help to pinpoint where it is, and may help identidy what your are looking for.

Archived