2.8jtd cutting out

nwsxp50

Hi All,

I realise long distance diagnosis is very difficult but please try anyway. Travelling yesterday in my 2004 2.8 jtd Ducato based motor home. I was doing about 60mph up the M1 when the engine cut out. I coasted onto the hard shoulder. Tried the key and it turned over but wouldnt fire. I left it for about 30 seconds and it started. This happened about a dozen times in 100 miles. The return journey today all went went well until almost home and it happened again. Just the once. This also happened al be it twice about 6 months ago. The van has an after market inhibitor but I dont think its that. Whilst parked up yesterday I jiggled every plug I could find under the bonnet. Can this engine be pluged into a PC and fault codes be read? Any help will be greatfully received . Thanks.Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes your van has a diagnostic socket if it is a post 2002 vehicle. The most likely cause is a sticking injector. There are a number of other possibilities but this is in my experience the most likely. The way to get this checked is to perform a 'leak-off' test which most garages that handle diesel engines regularly will be able to perform. It takes about half an hour and is more relevant than plugging into the diagnostic kit because if the problem is intermittent it may well not show up as a fault when it is tested, but the leaking injector will be easy to spot when a test is carried out.

The 2.8JTD engine requires 300bar of pressure in the fuel rail before it will start, but this can drop as low as 230bar without the engine cutting out. If an injector is sticking intermittently it will almost always show signs of excessive back pressure as well and that is what you find with the 'leak-off' test. If the injector sicks open while the engine is running the fuel rail pressure will drop off severely and cause the engine to stop.

Like I said, this is only one possibility but it is the first thing that we check in our workshops and it is almost always the culprit.

If your chosen garage is not sure about how to conduct the test, let me know and I will send a procedure.

Good luck,

Nick

Simon,

Your problem sounds similar to one that I have recently had. Have you tried your spare key? My problem looks to have been a key that was no longer always being recognized by the vehicle's immobiliser.

Cheers

Archived