Gas Pressure - Maybe

Guest Videomaster

Guest Videomaster

I have a Rapido, but I don't think that is significant to my query. Since we have owned the van, I noticed that the oven does not get as hot as the one on my previous van.

I have also noticed that when I connect my CADAC to my external gas point, it does not get as hot as when I use it connected to a Camping Gaz cylinder.

I wonder if the gas pressure in the Rapido gives less than my Capning Gaz and perhaps the regulator is defective or what.

I'd appreciate any thoughts....

Campingaz is butane, which has a higher calorific capability than propane. So, if you are using propane with your Rapido, this may be the answer as far as your CADAC is concerned.

Regarding the ovens in your present and previous motorhomes, there are a couple of possibilities that might explain the heat differences:

1. The oven in your other motorhome was more efficient.

2. You may have been using a different gas and/or regulators with different pressures.

If your Rapido is reasonably recent (2004-onwards say) I would expect it to have a 30mbar 'compromise pressure' regulator. If you are using butane in the Rapido, and used butane in your previous motorhome but with a 28mbar butane-specific regulator, then (everything else being equal oven-wise) one might expect the ovens to perform similarly. Conversely, if you are using propane in the Rapido, and used propane in your last motorhome but with a 37mbar propane-specific regulator, then one might anticipate the Rapido's oven to get less hot due to the lower gas pressure. And, as with your CADAC, if you use propane now, but butane previously, that could be the answer.

(For what it's worth, the Campingaz regulators that screw on to Campingaz cylinders are 30mbar.)

It's probably fair to say that, if all your Rapido's gas appliances work satisfactorily simultaneously, then its regulator is OK. If you turn the hob on and the oven goes out, or the gas flames visibly diminish in size, then that's another matter.

Hi and welcome! :-D

It would possibly help if you gave a little info about what van you have (year etc), and what your other van was so we know what you are comparing it to. It could depend on how old it is as it may have one of the new 30mbar regulators whereas your former van may have had a higher pressure (propane) one.

If it is a newer van with the 30mbar regulator then you may indeed notice a difference. Have you boiled a kettle on the hob? Does that seem slower too?

Guest Videomaster

Thanks the van is only 2 years old and we use propane. The gas supply never diminishes with rings and oven on, no problem there. Water seems to boil at the same rate, I woudl also say the grill is not the hottest.

Thanks for the input

I suspect it's just that you've got used to a higher pressure on your previous van coupled with the fact that some of the more modern ovens are not as good ... don't even get me started on the useless grills! Second thoughts ... I've started ... in my experience the grills are never brilliant, you get more heat coming off the top of them (good for warming up your beans) than you get downwards onto the bread to make toast ... then .... all of a sudden ... it decides to get really, really hot and the ruddy toast gets burnt!!!! >:-(

Guest Tracker
If the van is two years old you might with luck have another year of warranty - in which case you could ask the supplying dealer to pressure test and investigate the gas system for you at his expense not yours?

I too have a Rapido circa 2005 and the oven in it is a Smev which definitely runs hotter on Butane rather than Propane. I've posted on this previously and can only put in down to the fact that if you run both types of gas at 30mbr then Butane should be hotter as it has a higher calorific value. I also notice that I get some sooty deposits on the bottom of pans from Butane which suggests that it is running a slightly "rich" gas air mixture as it should ideally run at 28mb but to further confuse the issue I use French gas as I rarely use the Rapido in U.K. when using Calor Butane this "sooting" doesn't happen, I get part full butane cylinders from my friendly local recycle centre. The Visio and Le Cube butane burn with a slightly yellow tip to the flame but the Le Cube Propane doesn't; food for thought??

Bill Ord

Archived