Hotel motorhome?

Derek Uzzell

Recently I had a conversation with someone who was considering the idea of operating a 'hotel motorhome'. This would be on the lines of 'hotel boats', that are well established on inland waterways, except on wheels.

I'm not seeking comments on the pros-and-cons of such a scheme, I just wondered if anyone knew whether it had been tried before.

I assume this is a cross between motorhome hire and a hotel - where people would 'book' into your motorhome, as they would book a room in a hotel, but instead of letting them loose with your pride and joy, you go with them, doing the driving, cooking, cleaning etc? You'd need a large motorhome to do this with though in order to give people privacy - boats are okay as they all have their own cabins, but I don't think you could really do this with a motorhome unless you had a big American job of some sort. :-S

Unless of course it's like the set-up that Judgemental has with his manservant ... who has to sleep in the garage? (lol)

The 'hotel motorhome' idea is exactly as Mel B describes. A maximum of (say) three 'paying guests' living/sleeping on board the vehicle, touring around the UK being wined, dined and generally cosseted.

I believe the plan would be for the owner/driver of the motorhome to leave his guests to their own devices overnight and book himself into B&B. He has had many years of successfully operating a guest house and a 'hotel' canal narrow-boat and is now looking for a change of direction. The idea is very much at the is-it-viable? stage and I agree with Mel that an RV would make sense financially and for the space it offers.

Personally, I would be scared to death leaving complete strangers in charge of my pride and joy and would be constantly following them around watching which switches/levers etc they operated or looking for tiny scratches, marmalade on the upholstery, feet up on the sofa with shoes on.....................you get the picture.

David

Now if there's an enterprising Madame out there with a huge american RV plus Airstream trailer, both equipped with an island bed or two, lots of comfy sofa's and a few moveable privacy screens......... and just think of the franchising opportunites once the business model is proven............

Bob ;-) :-D

Usinmyknaus - 2009-05-27 9:27 AM

Now if there's an enterprising Madame out there with a huge american RV plus Airstream trailer, both equipped with an island bed or two, lots of comfy sofa's and a few moveable privacy screens......... and just think of the franchising opportunites once the business model is proven............

Bob ;-) :-D

Drive down through Spain and Portugal and the local ladies have already sorted it.

OK they are fairly basic but I have seen some tidy motorhomes of less than 20 years old.

Geoff

usinmyknaus

I once saw a publication in a French newsagent's that I thought was an ordinary motorcaravan magazine. It clearly had a photo of a motorhome on the front, but when I took off the shelf (it was on one of the higher ones) I could see that there were a couple of very peculiarly dressed women (think Max Mosley!) lolling suggestively against the vehicle that had the words "F*** Wagon" written on it in large letters. I didn't have the time to look inside the magazine, but I've sometimes wondered whether it contained a test report and what it would have covered.

Archived