Hot water taps

Poppy Mole

Fairly new to all this so please bear with me.

I can't get any water out of any of the hot water taps all the cold taps work fine, & it all worked well last year, lots of nice hot showers, what have I forgotten to do or has something gone wrong?

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the forum Poppy Mole.

Assuming that your A/S has the Truma gas or gas/mains system fitted to most vans of that era, did you drain it down fully before the winter by emptying the tank, opening all the taps and taking the external drain plug out of the water heater - refitting it before refilling this year?

If not you may well have frost damage - expensive!

If so the most likely cause is an airlock - should be easy to cure!

Try draining the tank and refilling with all the taps open and if it tries to pump water from the hot but splutters you could try attaching a piece of tube to the tap and giving it a good suck to get it going. Beware of getting a face full of water and try and keep the hose over the sink as it might come out with a gush!

I did drain it all down but forgot to leave the taps open.

I have drained the water tank this morning as I felt I wanted fresh for this weekends foray, needless to say it started chucking it down with rain, so i came indoors again & discovered all you lovely people.

I will give your suggestion a go as soon as it stops raining - or perhaps I might just build an ark!

Many thanks

Guest Tracker
Hopefully the taps and pipes will have thawed without damage if they had water left in them when (if?) they were frozen, but you could just open the taps and blow back down them (using a tube is easier unless you are a contortionist!) to ensure nothing is blocking the the passage of water and that they are indeed opening OK.

If you have a Truma Combi boiler have you checked the dump valve as this automatically opens around 4 deg C to prevent frost damage & drains the hot tank. It needs to be re-set manually. If you are not sure if it is open (up is closed) check under the van with the pump running if there is water draining out under the boiler it’s open.

Guest Tracker
I think you will find that an open dump valve would take away all water pressure and the cold taps would not work either - as well as leaving a rather large and obvious puddle!

Guest Tracker
4petedaniel - 2009-05-27 3:08 PM

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the clubman has a caver heater fitted or is that only the van heating?

You could well be right Pete! I can't remember at which time Truma took over Carver!

I do recall the systems used in the several Talismans (or is that Talismen?) and that they could at times be a bit of a bu**er to prime after a winter lay up and I rather thought that it might be the same in all A/S vans of the era?

Derek will know for sure!

If the van has a Carver water heater, then the most likely cause of the problem is that some residual water froze behind the non-return valve feeding the hot water tank. When this happens, the valve gets pushed into its seat and the seal becomes damaged and is sticking the valve shut.

It has happened to me and the solution is a new valve from O'Leary Motorhomes, http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Changing the valve is easy, as the heater has enough slack in its pipes to allow it to be withdrawn to the outside in order to gain access.

It is a carver heater & I think it might be a new valve thing I need - just looked at their website & am not sure which bit it is that I might need.

I've tried sucking out the water - now all I'm getting is air so I guess nothing is getting through.

It can sometimes take a while if the system is dry as you have to fill the boiler before it get through to the taps.

Quick tip for helping it - unscrew the shower head (don't lose the little rubber washer!) and suck! It will help the pump pull through a little and speed things up. After winterising it can sometimes take 15 mins plus to get the water coming!

The Clubman has the Carver heater and it is almost certainly the non return valve that is stuck.

The NRV, safety valve and outlet connection are all plastic and harden and become brittle with age and should be replaced after three to four years.

Most motorcaravan dealers still stock them but they often snap when being removed.

To get at the parts the heater has to be slid out of the side of the van. Unless a competent DIYer best taken to dealer. Its not to big a job.

That reminds me it's nearly time to do mine.

Archived