additional leisure battery

the crumblies

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find it. I mailed John Wickersham with this Q via MMM, but no response to date.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to add/wire in a second leisure battery for my 2007 Nuevo, please? I know the two batteries need to be identical, but I'm not sure about the necessary wiring, relays etc.

Thanks in hope...

Guest Tracker
Welcome to the forum. May I respectfully suggest that if your electrical knowledge is not too good you allow an auto electrician to do this work for you as an incorrectly wired battery can be very dangerous and could even cause a fire.

the crumblies - 2009-05-27 1:21 PM

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find it. I mailed John Wickersham with this Q via MMM, but no response to date.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to add/wire in a second leisure battery for my 2007 Nuevo, please? I know the two batteries need to be identical, but I'm not sure about the necessary wiring, relays etc.

Thanks in hope...

This may of some help to you ,but if your not confident to tackle it safely do as Tracker suggest,s and seek professional advice. click on this http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/second%20leisiure%20battery.htm

Thanks Corky and Tracker for such a quqick response. I looked at the link you suggested - is that really all there is to it? I thought there would be a relay or two to send the charge to one battery first and then the other. The control unit in the Nuevo says any replacement battery must be identical to the original, which suggests that it has limited charging capacity, or is it just that it won't handle fancy batteries like gel/dry electrolyte?

I'm OK with wiring, understand current capacity/ suitable cables / fusing etc and I have all the tools. What I need is a circuit diagram plus advice from your goodselves and/or anyone who has already done it, unless it really is as simple as the link suggests. Sorry if my original request was not clear. By the way, I have a healthy mistrust of so-called "professional" auto-electricians, unkess recommended by their happy customers - I've had several bad experiences, and the Nuevo came with basic wiring and plumbing faults.... much better to ask the guys on the forum, I thought!

Still hoping, thanks and best wishes.

Ici on fait ce que l'on sait, mais on sait ce que l'on fait...

the crumblies

This is an earlier thread on the subject.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14357&posts=15

While it's good practice for all batteries in a multiple-battery system to be identical in every respect, you'll note that there's scope for latitude. Assuming your Nuevo's present battery is original, that you won't be replacing it and that your additional battery will be new, then you'll be falling foul of Exide's 12-months age difference 'rule'. THere's no reason to anticipate that this will cause problems in your case, but it's something to keep in mind.

Hi Clive,

I remember reading in MMM an article where a guy replaced the fuse with one adapted to take a side light bulb, the reasoning being that the bulb would light rather than the fuse blowing.

would appreciate your view on the idea, any drawbacks, reduced charge rate due to resistance, or what ever.

Regards PKC.

The use of a light bulb to replace the fuse could be related to connecting the leisure battery to the engine battery so, if say you are using a solar panel, it trickle charges the engine battery as well. If you forget to disconnect the link then starting the engine will not blow the fuse...the lamp just illuminates.

Archived