fresh water in the motor home

duetto owner

We use the on board tank for washing, washing up etc and have always used a jug of water in the fridge for cold drinks and a 5litre bottle for tea and cooking and of course the dogs drinking water. We just refill each container daily so we know its fresh.

Guest Tracker
spospe - 2009-05-30 9:42 PM

We have had a current model Duetto for a year and before that an original model Duetto for 7 years and before that a caravan (with the same Aquaroll) for 23 years.

We have travelled from the North Cape (4 times) to Tarifa.

We drink and do all the other things (washing, cooking) from the supplied water tank.

If the water 'tastes' we change it as and when.

We have never been ill.

Us too!

After 35 years of using water from onboard tanks for everything I see no reason to change.

If you get a grotty tankful - just dump and refill.

If you PREFER bottled water there is nowt wrong with that either - each to his (her) own.

There is no right or wrong way - just different!

Our tank gets refilled every three or four days or when down to about a quarter full when touring so theoretically there is always some stale water in the tank - albeit diluted!

We always drain the tank when we get home and refill the day we leave and I reckon the chlorine in good old tap water does a pretty fair job in keeping the tank clean enough to be safe - it must do 'cos we don't get any problems with taste or upset stomachs!

i've only cleaned the water tank once in 4 years. i take water from the tank and put it into a jug filter. sometimes the water has been in the tank for months. when wild camping i have filled up from mountain streams, springs, roadside taps etc.

never had a problem.

had to change the lockable cap on our water system before a trip 3 weeks ago. Went to remove the feeder pipe from the cap to the tank, and it had white mould all down it. 8-) When looking in the tank, it looked clean, with no mould.

Van is 2 years old.

Fully sterilised the system, and will do every year from now on :$

Re Derek Uzzell's post and specifically the bit about possible misuse of drinking water taps - I've seen this occur a few times and it's pretty disturbing.

I once ditched a complete roll-flat fill reel as a result of (unknowingly, at the time) hooking it up to a drinking water tap which someone was using to rinse their toilet cassette.

Problem was, the hose was easily replaced (at inevitable cost) but it took rather longer to flush and sterilise the van water system once we got home, having suffered tummy problems surprise surprise.

Result - tap paranoia! Working with former EHO's - see earlier post - ain't helping!

Drinking water hygiene standards for all of us are effectively set by the least careful, or least well informed, previous user of the tap.

I don't know what the answer to this is - maybe there isn't one?

Rapido-lass, you say that when your 5Ltr bottles are empty you simply refill them - where do you refill them from ? If the source is good enough to fill a 5Ltr water bottle just wondered why you don't fill up the water tank with it :-D

I also carry water containers for drinks

I dont like tank water plus the fact i cannot get into it to clean it properly being sealed under the floor.

My old van had a large screw cap on top of the tank which was great you could clean it properly i used that one for drinking water.

Ok i flush the system regulary dump the water when i return home but still dont like the taste.

it a matter of choice.

Big Momma - 2009-06-02 10:23 PM

Rapido-lass, you say that when your 5Ltr bottles are empty you simply refill them - where do you refill them from ? If the source is good enough to fill a 5Ltr water bottle just wondered why you don't fill up the water tank with it :-D

Hi Big Momma, We do fill up the water tank from the same source as the 5 ltr bottle. The reason that we don't drink direct from the tank is that whilst touring, we may have to top up when we can on top of what is already in the tank. This means that at some point you are going to get stale water which is fine for washing etc, but we prefer to have fresh water to drink, and this way gives us the best of both worlds - purely a personal choice.

Having just recently spent 8 hours cleaning the water system of a Hymer whose "clear" cold water pipes were anything but clear (grey and brown deposits all over the place inside them) and seeing the amount of crud and limescale that had collected at each junction there is absolutely no way I'd voluntarily drink water out of a motorhome's on board water tank. We use a two gallon hand container that is easily cleaned and sterilised for any water that is likely to be consumed either in cooking, teeth cleaning or making hot drinks.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it if you feel its safe though.

D.

Archived